Tipping Point in the Season | The Boneyard

Tipping Point in the Season

Reaction Score
The biggest disappointment with last night, for me, was that the loss completely blunted our momentum and the building buzz and hype around the program.

We're now at a tipping point, as we have been often in the Hurley era, between this being a special season that puts the program squarely back on the map or a good-but-not-great season where we're just kind of there.

Last year, we got Bouknight back but finished meekly. Couldn't get over the hump in the BET, 7 seed, bad NCAAT performance.

Now, this could go one of two ways. We're probably looking at a 5 seed right now.

With a strong finish and a statement win or two in the BET, we're up into the top 4 seeds, getting some notice, and a S16 run doable that should amplify the buzz and show we're clearly on the right track.

A disappointing BET performance leaves us closer to the 6 line, that ho-hum #20-30 range nationally, and behind the 8-ball to make the second weekend. Treading water.

This is a big 10 days coming up that will really set the tone for not only the NCAA Tournament, but the trajectory of the program under Hurley.

Reaction Score
I echoed basically the exact same thoughts in the postgame thread. Year’s been a positive one overall, but lots of one step forward another step back, and we just can’t seem to ascend to that next level when we have a chance. In no way, shape, or form is this meant as harsh critique of Hurley, as I think he’s also still molding himself as a coach (48/49, whatever he is, is still far from a finished product). But that doesn’t make the process any less frustrating in the moment, especially when we see there is legit potential to finally make that ascendant jump. And there better be a payoff to these growing pains coming in the future.

Reaction Score
I think this is a bit of an exaggerated view. I understand your sentiment. But we’re 7-2 in our last 9. Coming off of a 5 game win streak. This has a bit of prisoner of the moment feeling to it. It’s really hard to win 7 straight in a top 3 conference. No one should have expected that

Reaction Score
I think this is a bit of an exaggerated view. I understand your sentiment. But we’re 7-2 in our last 9. Coming off of a 5 game win streak. This has a bit of prisoner of the moment feeling to it. It’s really hard to win 7 straight in a top 3 conference. No one should have expected that
Not expected, but once we won 5 in a row, including a statement win over Villanova, it's a big missed opportunity to really stake our claim on the national stage and get back to relevance.

Reaction Score
Not expected, but once we won 5 in a row, including a statement win over Villanova, it's a big missed opportunity to really stake our claim on the national stage and get back to relevance.
But I think we’ve already accomplished that. Last nights loss didn’t ruin that

Reaction Score
Our last 2 National Championships, the low point of the season was near the end of the regular season.

I was at Kemba's "senior night" we they lost to that annoying Mike Brey ND team which allowed stupid Ben Hansbourgh to win Big East Player of the Year - agreed about the late low point that year for sure.
maybe it's just what we needed to stay humble and hungry....a close loss at creighton isnt bad from a metrics standpoint. now we can start another winning streak against depaul heading into the BET. i think 3 more wins locks up a 4 seed. 2 more and we're at least a 5.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Bottom line, last night will have next to no effect on the “buzz” around the program 2 to 3 weeks from now. It’ll be nearly 100% dependent on the BET and NCAAT (mostly NCAAT unless we win the BET). Some of us will harp on not having McDermott but no one outside this board will care. They’ll look at us as our tournament results (regardless of whether or not we won last night).

It was a crappy loss but has no real long term significance other than any potential time missed by Hawkins.

Reaction Score
I was at Kemba's "senior night" we they lost to that annoying Mike Brey ND team which allowed stupid Ben Hansbourgh to win Big East Player of the Year - agreed about the late low point that year for sure.
Till this day people talk about Ben Hansbourgh winning BE player of the year. Oh wait, no they dont. Ill take the chip.

Reaction Score
Just see what happens, it's out of our control. The season has been a success as back in top 25 most of season and on the national radar again. Would love a BET title and sweet 16 run or better but will take a ncaa tourney win with greater things ahead.

In the wilderness for 5 years makes you humble so let's enjoy the next month! I'm confident UConn will find a itself in Final 4 again soon enough.

Reaction Score
2011 last 5 regular season games. 1-4 in 15 days.

L, 58-71 Loserville
L, 67-74 Marq
W, 67-59 Cincy
L, 56-65 WV
L, 67-70 ND

Reaction Score
Till this day people talk about Ben Hansbourgh winning BE player of the year. Oh wait, no they dont. Ill take the chip.
I do talk about it... but only in a rage about the injustice.

It's like the papyrus font Avatar SNL skit, but for conference college basketball awards.

Reaction Score
The loss didn’t bother me at all. I think we will benefit from it.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
We never really got Bouknight back last year. He was a shell of himself.
And also Cole went down which was brutal.

What bothers me about most of the losses this year though is seemingly a couple of small adjustments could have won them. I still feel like Danny is a few in-game adjustments away from taking it to the next level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom