Tina 27, Tiff 26, Diana 17 | The Boneyard

Tina 27, Tiff 26, Diana 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
New York lost to L.A. tonight, but Tina had 27 points and 9 rebounds. She leads the league in both categories. Kiah had 6 points and 9 rebounds. Nneka continued her stellar play, with 22 and 15.

Meanwhile, Phoenix beat Atlanta. Griner had a triple-double for Phoenix with 27 points, 10 boards, and 10 blocks. Dee had 17 and 8 assists. Tiffany led the Dream with 26 points and also tallied 5 assists. Tiff is 12th in the league in scoring. Diana is 4th. Brit is 19th.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Watched a good bit of the Phoenix-Atlanta game. Watching Ms. Hayes play makes me want to say "Who are you, and what have you done with Tiffany?"

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
CP3 had 15 and 5 with 6 turnovers

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
CP3 had 15 and 5 with 6 turnovers
15 and 5 is pretty good, but the 6 TOs are not. Her 3-point shooting was really good early in the season, but has dropped to 34%, near her career average of 31.9%. Her scoring of 16.2 ppg is good, but below her career 17.7.

Currently, Nneka leads Candace in scoring, 18.6 to 16.2; rebounding, 8.8 to 7.5; FG shooting, 69.9% to 44.7%, and FT shooting, 85.4% to 71.8%. Nneka is having a VERY efficient season. I have her in the top 2 in the MVP race. I'd put Candace at about #4 or 5.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
15 and 5 is pretty good, but the 6 TOs are not. Her 3-point shooting was really good early in the season, but has dropped to 34%, near her career average of 31.9%. Her scoring of 16.2 ppg is good, but below her career 17.7.

Currently, Nneka leads Candace in scoring, 18.6 to 16.2; rebounding, 8.8 to 7.5; FG shooting, 69.9% to 44.7%, and FT shooting, 85.4% to 71.8%. Nneka is having a VERY efficient season. I have her in the top 2 in the MVP race. I'd put Candace at about #4 or 5.

Nnemkadi has been ridiculous this year in regards to her efficiency and her numbers. Parker has been outstanding all season--her teammates have stepped up a lot more this year compared to years past, so she hasn't had to take on as significant a role as she did last year or prior seasons. Her numbers are down, but she appears to be the same player, she just hasn't had to play as significant a role since this team is a lot more balanced and has more contributors. Even with worse numbers, she's still averaging 16 points, 8 boards and 5 assists on a team that is 16-1...pretty darn good. In terms of the MVP race, I'd put her at 3 or 4, interchangeable with Maya and behind Tina and Nneka. At this point, it's hard to justify anyone outside of those 3 being ranked above her. Still have half a season to go.

Reaction Score
A big change for the Sparks this year is that they run their offense through Nneka most of the time and they also run a lot more plays for Tolliver and Carson. I like the change in offensive approach because before Agler is was basically run the clock down and give the ball to Candace to create. Candace isn't forcing as much and still has taken over the games they've needed her to. 6 turnovers is bad for a game but Candace has over a 2 to 1 ratio of assists to turnovers. She is also second on the team in blocks and steals... Her offensive numbers may be down but they are solid considering Nneka's MVP performance so far and the fact that she is double and triple teamed almost every time she gets the ball inside yet still produces. The Sparks team is much better for a number of reasons and Candace's performance is a major factor.

Tina and Tiff are two of my favorites to watch. Tina is so good with that high release and endless post moves. Tiff... well, I just love lefties. I continue to be impressed by Kiah and her defensive skills.

Reaction Score
Brittney Griner is in rare company having posted the 6th regular season triple double in WNBA history. Surprisingly, she is not the first to record a triple double that includes blocks. That had been done two other times.
MVP Race as of today: 1. Parker(best player on best team) 2. Charles(best stats, best season) 3. Ogwumike(super efficient, super productive). No one else is in the conversation right now.

Reaction Score
Watched a good bit of the Phoenix-Atlanta game. Watching Ms. Hayes play makes me want to say "Who are you, and what have you done with Tiffany?"
I remember seeing a game between Tiff and Maya when they were in high school. Tiff was no slouch. I think what we may be seeing is her starting to realize her own ability under a coach who really values her (he apparently took her aside at the beginning of the season and said something to the effect that they were expanding her role on the team). She had to take a back seat to Maya during most of her college years and it may have put the idea in her head that she was less than great. Comparison to Maya could do that to just about anyone.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I remember seeing a game between Tiff and Maya when they were in high school. Tiff was no slouch. I think what we may be seeing is her starting to realize her own ability under a coach who really values her (he apparently took her aside at the beginning of the season and said something to the effect that they were expanding her role on the team). She had to take a back seat to Maya during most of her college years and it may have put the idea in her head that she was less than great. Comparison to Maya could do that to just about anyone.
I think you speak truth.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Winter Haven took Collins Hill to OT in the tourney in Seattle.

Geno noted a few times that Tiffany, when she plays really well, can be/is the best player on the floor. Maya and Tina were on the floor at the same time. Tiff can definitely be an all-star.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Brittney Griner is in rare company having posted the 6th regular season triple double in WNBA history. Surprisingly, she is not the first to record a triple double that includes blocks. That had been done two other times.
MVP Race as of today: 1. Parker(best player on best team) 2. Charles(best stats, best season) 3. Ogwumike(super efficient, super productive). No one else is in the conversation right now.

Griner has been such a mystery to me in the W. I'm genuinely surprised she isn't the overwhelming favorite for league MVP, or at least a top 2-3 candidate year in and year out. She has all the tools to be a Wilt Chamberlain level center but is so inconsistent with her efforts/results. No one is close to being as physically big, long and strong as Griner. She was one of the most dominant collegiate players ever and was on the fast path to developing into the league's premier center after her first 2 seasons. This year, Phoenix has been dreadful and Griner has been total hit or miss. She doesn't demand the ball nearly enough and is too passive for long stretches.

In games she has taken at least 10 shots, she is averaging 17.6 points, 3.6 blocks and 7.7 rebounds. In those 9 games, Phoenix has gone 504. Compare that to games where she takes single digit shots, where she averages 11 points, 1.9 blocks, and just 5.8 rebounds. During those 9 games, Phoenix has gone 3-6.

If she demands touches and can get involved regularly offensively, it seems to spark the rest of her game and elevates Phoenix. If she continues to put together big efforts night in and night out, I think Phoenix can definitely emerge as a title contender.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Griner has been such a mystery to me in the W. I'm genuinely surprised she isn't the overwhelming favorite for league MVP, or at least a top 2-3 candidate year in and year out. She has all the tools to be a Wilt Chamberlain level center but is so inconsistent with her efforts/results. No one is close to being as physically big, long and strong as Griner. She was one of the most dominant collegiate players ever and was on the fast path to developing into the league's premier center after her first 2 seasons. This year, Phoenix has been dreadful and Griner has been total hit or miss. She doesn't demand the ball nearly enough and is too passive for long stretches.

In games she has taken at least 10 shots, she is averaging 17.6 points, 3.6 blocks and 7.7 rebounds. In those 9 games, Phoenix has gone 504. Compare that to games where she takes single digit shots, where she averages 11 points, 1.9 blocks, and just 5.8 rebounds. During those 9 games, Phoenix has gone 3-6.

If she demands touches and can get involved regularly offensively, it seems to spark the rest of her game and elevates Phoenix. If she continues to put together big efforts night in and night out, I think Phoenix can definitely emerge as a title contender.
with DT and Bonner its tough for Griner to be more than she currently is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS