Times, TV Announced For AAC Games | The Boneyard

Times, TV Announced For AAC Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
http://theamerican.org/news/2014/6/19/FB_0619143032.aspx

Made this thread not to take away from the good vibes of the UConn centric one around the Boise game. It's frustrating not being able to play on TV on Saturdays for the most part. I don't mind one league game on Thursday night but honestly there's a lot of ESPNews (which is very disappointing) and way too many total weeknight games taking place. I'd rather play on a Saturday on CBSSN than on a Thursday/Friday at 9 on ESPNU

Reaction Score
Well, what it confirms is what I've thought all along, that the conference traded $ on broadcasting contract now, for national exposure on highly visible broadcasting platforms - banking on the league gaining momentum and success with exposure to get big $ returns later. It seems that all of our games are going to be a national broadcast of some sort, on either ESPN or CBS sports, and that's actually a good thing.

(the remnants of the Big East basketball conference went the opposite route, banking $ now, and going with limited exposure, and hoping that exposure improves.)

The Thursday and Friday ESPN network games are no surprise - American conference games will not get broadcasting slot priority over other conferences for Saturday afternoon and evening from ESPN other than the scheduling odd-ball, where there is an opening. This is not the entire schedule of the conference listed there, it looks like those are games that have been decided to be put on the ESPN networks.

I bet that the remainder of the games will be Saturday day/evening games either on CBS sports or SNY.

Edit: what I do not want to see - is the Wednesday/Tuesday football scheduling stuff. Thur or Fri is doable, but that mid-week night football - I hope that we don't see it ever again. So far, so good.

Drew

Reaction Score
Interesting take on it. Most of these games are the dregs anyways (how did ECU and NCCSU get ESPNews for their game on a Saturday?). Hopefully our UCF game gets picked up for national broadcast too. I would really like to know what adding Boise and BYU would do for our television deal considering our game with Boise is a Saturday on potentially ABC and the BYU game is a national broadcast as well.

Reaction Score
Interesting take on it. Most of these games are the dregs anyways (how did ECU and NCCSU get ESPNews for their game on a Saturday?). Hopefully our UCF game gets picked up for national broadcast too. I would really like to know what adding Boise and BYU would do for our television deal considering our game with Boise is a Saturday on potentially ABC and the BYU game is a national broadcast as well.

The actual value of UCONN on the market, as well as this current conference, won't really be known until the current AAC contract is up for renewal (or UCONN goes to a different conference).

The first refusal/match rights, that were signed over to ESPN by Tranghese in the last television contract signed by the Big East conference saw to that. Many, most people, will not ever really appreciate how much work and effort probably went into making sure that this new conference would get full time national exposure (every single basketball conference game was on a national broadcast last season BTW - and it appears that each football game will be too - and espn3.com, seems to be a minor, minor part - was worried about that I was.

It really, is the only way in negotiations, that that clause that Tranghese agreed to with the last contract, could have been turned into a positive for the new conference - was to take pennies on the dollar now, and use that clause, to force ESPN to agree to a contract that would put the conference on national TV all the time.

Drew

Reaction Score
Edit: what I do not want to see - is the Wednesday/Tuesday football scheduling stuff. Thur or Fri is doable, but that mid-week night football - I hope that we don't see it ever again. So far, so good.

completely agree on the Tuesday/Wednesday stuff. Leave that for Sunbelt/MAC

Reaction Score
no where else probably better to do it, so may as well do it now, if for no other reason than my own calendar planning :), the television stuff is interesting, but I won't be watching our home games on TV, and need to figure out the tailgating....so our home schedule so far off the top of my head, Saturdays unless otherwise noted

BYU 8/29 7pm (Fri)
Stony Brook 9/6 12pm
Boise St 9/13 12pm
Temple 9/27 ? - is this homecoming? Seems early

you know what - never mind - here's the schedule - we don't have a home game for the entire month of October, I think I was aware of this - but strange to see, how does that happen? When is Yom Kippur this year? LOL - I jest.

Those first 3 are the only home games that have a start time as of yet. All games with TV already set are here - 5 of 12 so far on national TV - 6 of 12 if you count SB on SNY as national.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/conn-m-footbl-sched.html

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They sold CBS some decent matchups (relatively speaking).

Reaction Score
no where else probably better to do it, so may as well do it now, if for no other reason than my own calendar planning :), the television stuff is interesting, but I won't be watching our home games on TV, and need to figure out the tailgating....so our home schedule so far off the top of my head, Saturdays unless otherwise noted

BYU 8/29 7pm (Fri)
Stony Brook 9/6 12pm
Boise St 9/13 12pm
Temple 9/27 ? - is this homecoming? Seems early

you know what - never mind - here's the schedule - we don't have a home game for the entire month of October, I think I was aware of this - but strange to see, how does that happen? When is Yom Kippur this year? LOL - I jest.

Those first 3 are the only home games that have a start time as of yet. All games with TV already set are here - 5 of 12 so far on national TV - 6 of 12 if you count SB on SNY as national.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/conn-m-footbl-sched.html

Homecoming is the November 1 game against Central Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom