Time to show up or shut up | The Boneyard

Time to show up or shut up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This has been mentioned here ad nauseam by @Dooley and guys like @junglehusky @CTMike and myself countless times on twitter. It's time to show up at Rentschler for football games. To all the basketball board members who show up here in the CR board to bitch about the AAC and saving UConn's basketball programs...buy tickets to football from here on out! This is UConn athletics NOT UConn basketball weighed down by the football program! There has been a HUGE investment in football by the school and state..it's NOT gonna go away! SO it's time to show up and support the athletic programs..not just men's or women's basketball. IF we see out Rentschler as a fan base it will be noticed. The relationship between Calhoun and Geno divided a fan base...that cold war is LONG gone. Gene, KO, Diaco, Penders...ALL the coaches support each other! Let's support each program like they support one another! If lack of fan participation causes the B-12 to pass UConn by..the hoops fanbase needs to look itself in the mirror and take as much ownership as some of the fair-weather football fan base!

Last edited:

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
For the first time in a long time there's some excitement and hope for a fun season. Good slate of home games. Improvements in the works for a better game day experience. Affordable to get in the door. LETS GOOOOOO

Reaction Score
I can't imagine the current attendance has any influence.

UConn just needs to point to previous years and the Michigan game as examples of fan support if the league and competition are appealing.

Reaction Score

UConn just needs to point to previous years and the Michigan game as examples of fan support if the league and competition are appealing.
It doesn't matter...it's about all the hoops crybabies that come here slamming the football program! There is one constant among all the teams at UConn..the name on their jersey! Whether it's on the football field, basketball court, ice, pool, volleyball court, field hockey field, soccer field, baseball diamond, softball diamond, pool, golf course, track/field or ANY other sport that UConn competes in the jersey, sweater, or uniform ALL have the same name on the front! Support UConn ATHLETICS or stop complaining! You are either all the way in or all the way out!

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
To quote my buddy DA, former UCONN Husky mascot applicant and all-around great guy, "We're good kids. We always win in these situations." September 1 starts the UCONN Husky football era of dominance. Ripper!

Reaction Score
This has been mentioned here ad nauseam by @Dooley and guys like @junglehusky @CTMike and myself countless times on twitter. It's time to show up at Rentschler for football games. To all the basketball board members who show up here in the CR board to bitch about the AAC and saving UConn's basketball programs...buy tickets to football from here on out! This is UConn athletics NOT UConn basketball weighed down by the football program! There has been a HUGE investment in football by the school and state..it's NOT gonna go away! SO it's time to show up and support the athletic programs..not just men's or women's basketball. IF we see out Rentschler as a fan base it will be noticed. The relationship between Calhoun and Geno divided a fan base...that cold war is LONG gone. Gene, KO, Diaco, Penders...ALL the coaches support each other! Let's support each program like they support one another! If lack of fan participation causes the B-12 to pass UConn by..the hoops fanbase needs to look itself in the mirror and take as much ownership as some of the fair-weather football fan base!

You're spot on. UConn fans need to support the football program and come to all the games. Fan support and attendance is definitely being heavily looked at by the Big 12. AND DONATE TO ATHLETICS. ANY AMOUNT. I DO EVERY YEAR.

Reaction Score
Plus, if you've never been to a football game before (craziness) it's a freakin blast. What's better than getting drunk in a parking lot with thousands of Husky fans and then watching our boys do their thing?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
From all reports and indications, it looks like the Big 12 will decide on expansion in October. That means it's put up or shut up time for UConn Nation. Buy tickets. Donate to the school. The President and AD have been begging those UConn fans on the sidelines for years to get back in the game. To buy tickets and to donate. For those who have the means and the desire to escape AAC purgatory, this is the time to circle the sleds and get behind State U again. Remember that 'Drive for 5K' campaign? Remember all of those pleas to fill the football stadium? The Big 12 cares very deeply about those things and this might be the last ticket out of the AAC for quite some time.

There's been a lot of talk in the past few years that football attendance has no impact on CR; that fans will go to games when the team wins. Well here we are. The outlook on the upcoming season hasn't been this positive since 2010. UConn is very much in competition to win the AAC East and play in the AAC Championship Game this upcoming season. We also have an excellent home schedule - Syracuse, Virginia, Temple and Cincinnati are all games that we need to sell out and help our guys out.

The Big 12 is first and foremost, a football conference. The Big 12 will likely weigh several factors into deciding who they will invite into their conference. If there are a few "close" candidates, you can bet you bottom dollar that things like football support and fan base will be evaluated. If we as a fanbase come out with a few low 30K crowds for Maine, Syracuse and Virginia, then we might as well get used to the AAC. That's not to say that a season's worth of sellouts will guarantee us a Big 12 invite...but it certainly would not hurt our chances either.

If you used to be a football season ticket holder, you likely received an offer from the AD for free tickets to the Maine game. Use them. Or give them away to someone else who will go the game. UConn wants you back. UConn needs you back.

Let's make the Rent sound like it did in the Big East years. Remember this Pitt game? Remember how fun the atmosphere is when the stands are PACKED and JACKED? Let's all do this together. #UConnNation

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To add to what has already been written here...more ticket sales mean more revenue..more revenue means less subsidy given to the athletic department!

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Plus, if you've never been to a football game before (craziness) it's a freakin blast. What's better than getting drunk in a parking lot with thousands of Husky fans and then watching our boys do their thing?

Getting drunk in a parking lot with thousands of husky fans and then watching our boys do their thing and bring home a W.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Not a huge fan of shaming BB only fans into becoming football fans, but I am definitely going to continue to watch every game, and plan on going to at least one game this year, more if at all possible (I work some Saturdays).

My proposal is that we change our call and response Huskies chant this year: When someone yells out "UCONN," we should respond "BIG 12!" instead of "HUSKIES!"

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Not a huge fan of shaming BB only fans into becoming football fans, but I am definitely going to continue to watch every game, and plan on going to at least one game this year, more if at all possible (I work some Saturdays).

My proposal is that we change our call and response Huskies chant this year: When someone yells out "UCONN," we should respond "BIG 12!" instead of "HUSKIES!"
Rico, do you work Thursday evenings? If not I have a pair of tickets with your name on them for 9/1.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Rico, do you work Thursday evenings? If not I have a pair of tickets with your name on them for 9/1.

I appreciate the gesture, but I joined a kickball league for the fall and my games are on Thursday nights. Sorry.

I have no excuses to not go to a game this year: I'm in better shape financially than I ever have been, and I get enough Saturdays off that I'm sure I'll be able to make it to at least one game. Hope you find somebody to give the tickets to and go Huskies!

Reaction Score

I'm a huge fan of shaming BB only fans into buying football tickets. We cannot sell out that stadium if the basketball fans continue to stay detached from football. Too many are far too close minded about the importance of supporting and buying tickets to football or the realities of conference realignment. It is far more important than anything basketball related right now. Men's and women's. I bought my first season ticket for football this year and got another as a gift for my retired father. It really is as the title says put up or shut up time. The product and atmosphere of the program has improved. The schedule is good. The coach is young and sells the product. And a lot is at stake.

Reaction Score
That is a first... but it sums up UConn's attendance challenges pretty nicely. It's always something. We compete with people going away for labor day weekend, or work, or kid's soccer/football games/practices, or the opening of deer hunting season (fishing season for spring games), or it's too hot, or it's too cold, or it's only Maine, or... it is opening day for kickball....
upload_2016-8-18_16-52-4.jpeg

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Yeah. Did you say kickball, Rico?
Adult Kickball? Remember that and dodgeball back in grade school.
God, if we are competing with that too, we're toast.
UCONN...........
KICKBALL!!!!
UCONN .........
KICKBALL!!!

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That is a first... but it sums up UConn's attendance challenges pretty nicely. It's always something. We compete with people going away for labor day weekend, or work, or kid's soccer/football games/practices, or the opening of deer hunting season (fishing season for spring games), or it's too hot, or it's too cold, or it's only Maine, or... it is opening day for kickball....
View attachment 15037

lol, give me a break dude.

And yes, kickball. That was always my favorite game to play at recess back in elementary school. I'm pretty excited to play in this league. I'll make sure my TV is on and broadcasting the UConn game (and taping it) so we get credit for the ratings.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
You would think so but this is the Big 12 we're talking about. You better believe that the media will be watching, especially in markets like Houston, Memphis and Cinci. Houston was 13-1 and averaged 33,730 in the regular season. We can beat that this season, let's do it.

Reaction Score
Anything less than sell outs for the Syracuse and Virginia games would be disappointing.

Reaction Score
They still available? I can probably give the second one to someeone who lives around there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom