Time to shine tonight | The Boneyard

Time to shine tonight

Reaction Score
I’m a long time BY lurker and thought today would be a good time to join the conversation. Somebody has to say what everyone has been thinking but no one will say…we need a big and the sky is falling!;)

In the mid 80’s I moved to Knoxville for a job and while I wasn’t a fan of women’s basketball I did read the paper every day so the LV were certainly on my radar. Most games weren’t televised, but I watched some of those that were and went to a few games at Thompson-Boling. Not exactly a fan but my first taste of women’s basketball and at a high level at that.

In the early 90’s the office I worked at closed and I, along with many of the folks (mostly native Tennesseans) I worked with, migrated to a new office that was opened in East Hartford. For the first couple of years I didn’t give women’s basketball a thought, but one fine day in January of 1995 one of my Tennessee workmates said he was going to get some tickets to a Tennessee game that was coming up and invited me along.
About six of us settled in our seats behind the end line, mostly surrounded by students. Needless to say, the very first Huskies game I watched, in person or otherwise, was that most historic of Huskies games. I started the game rooting for UT but by the end of the first quarter I couldn’t help but be impressed and intrigued by the Huskies. Jen was flying around, Karla was so solid and Rebecca was, well, Rebecca. It was clear that this underdog team came into the game to make the statement that no, we are not the underdog.

By half time I was pulling hard for Uconn, so much so that at one point the guy who got the tickets turned to me and said “Who are you rooting for anyway?” I don’t think he ever quite forgave me for abandoning the orange for blue.

I’ve probably watched 95% of Uconn’s games since, mostly from home, or a hotel room or bar when traveling. Of all the teams I follow (and the wife would think it is too many), pretty much only the Uconn women are must see. I can’t tell you how much I’ve enjoyed the ride.
As for UT. They gave me my first taste of women’s basketball and I appreciate how good they were. They showcased how well women could play basketball and brought women’s basketball into the national consciousness. With all respect to Old Dominion and La Tech, UT ushered in the modern era of women’s basketball. I’m grateful that they led me to appreciate the women’s basketball game and put me on the path to being a Uconn fan. I know the issues between Geno and Pat got out of hand, but from a fan perspective it added spice to a good rivalry. If they can rebuild and be a serious contender for a NC, it would be good for the game and a hell of a fun thing to watch as Uconn puts yet another dagger in their heart.

So, big game tonight. I think we should win but if it is close I’ll be pacing as I watch; hopefully they’ll save the wear and tear on my legs and win by 30.

Reaction Score
I appreciate your thoughts and you did this very well. Like you, I will be watching and hopeful that UConn women will function as a cohesive precision oriented team.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I appreciate your thoughts and you did this very well. Like you, I will be watching and hopeful that UConn women will function as a cohesive precision oriented team.
Precision and cohesion are great and I hope we show alot of that but these games often come down to having a few bad asses and I think our TN turned CN girl Crystal will put a stake in their heart.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
I see UCONN as being in a "prove we are still great" mode, while Tennessee is in a "prove we are still relevant" mode....That mind set alone will be a big difference in how this game will turn out. I think UCONN wins big...but...I have been wrong many times in my life....

Reaction Score
I don't think UT will score more than 60 tonight and that won't be enough. CD has incentive to play well and I don't worry about her. Megan will get her points. Hard to tell about ONO, but absent early foul issues she will contribute on both the O and D ends of the floor. Any scoring we get from Kyla and Griff will be welcome and gravy. I think CW will be the key to this game - she is due to start hitting her jumpers again and will look to get to the rim. Look for her to get the BA award.

Reaction Score
I’m a long time BY lurker and thought today would be a good time to join the conversation. Somebody has to say what everyone has been thinking but no one will say…we need a big and the sky is falling!;)

AND ONE: nice post. And the interesting history and transformation you describe can readily be attributed to the maturation process. :cool: (Glad you stopped lurking and joined in)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score

In the mid 80’s I moved to Knoxville for a job and while I wasn’t a fan of women’s basketball I did read the paper every day so the LV were certainly on my radar. Most games weren’t televised, but I watched some of those that were and went to a few games at Thompson-Boling. Not exactly a fan but my first taste of women’s basketball and at a high level at that.

In the early 90’s the office I worked at closed and I, along with many of the folks (mostly native Tennesseans) I worked with, migrated to a new office that was opened in East Hartford. For the first couple of years I didn’t give women’s basketball a thought, but one fine day in January of 1995 one of my Tennessee workmates said he was going to get some tickets to a Tennessee game that was coming up and invited me along.
About six of us settled in our seats behind the end line, mostly surrounded by students. Needless to say, the very first Huskies game I watched, in person or otherwise, was that most historic of Huskies games. I started the game rooting for UT but by the end of the first quarter I couldn’t help but be impressed and intrigued by the Huskies. Jen was flying around, Karla was so solid and Rebecca was, well, Rebecca. It was clear that this underdog team came into the game to make the statement that no, we are not the underdog.

By half time I was pulling hard for Uconn, so much so that at one point the guy who got the tickets turned to me and said “Who are you rooting for anyway?” I don’t think he ever quite forgave me for abandoning the orange for blue.

I’ve probably watched 95% of Uconn’s games since, mostly from home, or a hotel room or bar when traveling. Of all the teams I follow (and the wife would think it is too many), pretty much only the Uconn women are must see. I can’t tell you how much I’ve enjoyed the ride.
As for UT. They gave me my first taste of women’s basketball and I appreciate how good they were. They showcased how well women could play basketball and brought women’s basketball into the national consciousness. With all respect to Old Dominion and La Tech, UT ushered in the modern era of women’s basketball. I’m grateful that they led me to appreciate the women’s basketball game and put me on the path to being a Uconn fan. I know the issues between Geno and Pat got out of hand, but from a fan perspective it added spice to a good rivalry. If they can rebuild and be a serious contender for a NC, it would be good for the game and a hell of a fun thing to watch as Uconn puts yet another dagger in their heart.

So, big game tonight. I think we should win but if it is close I’ll be pacing as I watch; hopefully they’ll save the wear and tear on my legs and win by 30.
Good post. And thank god someone finally highlighted the "bigs" issue. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Welcome to the board and great post. I too was a pretty avid supporter of UT at the start of this rivalry and always pulled for the LVs but wasn't really "against" UConn. I noticed in 2003 that the Huskies had passed UT in terms of the best overall program and was a little sad for them, but very impressed with what UConn was doing on the court.

I do think it would be good for the sport if UT got back to a high level. I also think the Huskies win easily tonight but hoping for a good game.

Reaction Score

Enjoyed what you wrote...Loved your intro to women BB.

Reaction Score

Nice post and if this should be your only post you’ll be able to say you have the best ratio of likes to posts in the history of the BY. However, I hope that won’t be the case and I like forward to more posts.

Reaction Score
Time To Shine sounds like a Grammy winning song! Let’s go UCONN shine bright vs Tenn tonight! Gotta guard Davis snd Horston tightly! Can’t wait!

Reaction Score
I don't think UT will score more than 60 tonight and that won't be enough. CD has incentive to play well and I don't worry about her. Megan will get her points. Hard to tell about ONO, but absent early foul issues she will contribute on both the O and D ends of the floor. Any scoring we get from Kyla and Griff will be welcome and gravy. I think CW will be the key to this game - she is due to start hitting her jumpers again and will look to get to the rim. Look for her to get the BA award.

If Anna is hitting 3s, it will definitely help our cause.

Reaction Score
Nice post and if this should be your only post you’ll be able to say you have the best ratio of likes to posts in the history of the BY. However, I hope that won’t be the case and I like forward to more posts.
f this is true, all I can say is "Ah schucks" After your comment I had to look at my likes tally and all I can say is that it is indicative of what I already knew, which is that BYers are an exceptionally congenial group of folks. Mostly;)

Reaction Score
Time To Shine sounds like a Grammy winning song! Let’s go UCONN shine bright vs Tenn tonight! Gotta guard Davis snd Horston tightly! Can’t wait!
Time to Shine does have a nice ring to it. And we can (and I do) thank one of our stalwart moderators for that. I tried to think of some ever so clever header, came up empty and deferred thinking further about it until after writing the post. And then forgot.

Reaction Score
If Anna is hitting 3s, it will definitely help our cause.
I should have mentioned Anna. I don't have anything that adds much to the Anna v Kyla as the 5th starter conversation, but I like her game and she is getting more and more comfortable on the floor. She will hit some 3s tonight. Kyla too I hope. I'd consider them co-starters based on minutes and have no objection to a Senior who worked her tail off to getting the start. Going back to her first three years, did anyone out there think there was even a shot that she would start? She has earned her year in the sun.

Reaction Score
I should have mentioned Anna. I don't have anything that adds much to the Anna v Kyla as the 5th starter conversation, but I like her game and she is getting more and more comfortable on the floor. She will hit some 3s tonight. Kyla too I hope. I'd consider them co-starters based on minutes and have no objection to a Senior who worked her tail off to getting the start. Going back to her first three years, did anyone out there think there was even a shot that she would start? She has earned her year in the sun.

You can't just earn it. You have to keep proving it every game. Kyla is not playing as well as she had been playing. Anna is playing much better than she was. Saying that, I like the energy Anna provides coming off the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom