Time to Say Goodbye to the AAC | The Boneyard

Time to Say Goodbye to the AAC

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Ever since the Old Big East dissolved and UConn found itself in the newly formed AAC, Husky WBB fans have hoped to see the overall competitive level of the other teams in the conference improve. Unfortunately, there are few signs that is happening.

We all know that UConn WBB has never lost a regular or postseason game vs an AAC foe. But beyond that, other AAC teams have posted few signature wins vs ranked teams. So far this season, all the other 11 AAC teams have struggled to post a winning record. Out of the 12 AAC teams, there are only 4 teams with winning records OOC: UConn (7-0), USF (5-4), Temple (5-4) & Wichita St (4-3).

At the same time, the majority of P5 conference teams have winning OOC records. The good news for UConn is that 7/10 Big East WBB teams currently have winning records. In the words of the beautiful duet by Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman Time to say goodbye” to the AAC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The AAC is the OBE. The BE didn't dissolve, members just left and we sold the name. The conference we are going to is the start up that bought the Big East name. I will continue to point that out until next year, when I join the rest of the world in pretending it is the 'original' Big East.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The AAC is the OBE. The BE didn't dissolve, members just left and we sold the name. The conference we are going to is the start up that bought the Big East name. I will continue to point that out until next year, when I join the rest of the world in pretending it is the 'original' Big East.
I realize that the charter and structure of the OBE was maintained by the AAC, and the Catholic 7 purchased the name. But I’m referring to the actual teams that made up the OBE. While there were numerous changes in the member schools in the OBE through the years, only UConn & Temple ended up as members of the AAC. The other 10 schools currently in the AAC had no affiliation with the OBE.

Just like Geno, last night’s game vs a gritty Seton Hall team made me nostalgic for the Big East. If UConn can face that type of competition throughout the BE conference schedule, something that’s sorely lacking in the AAC, it will only serve to make the Huskies a better team come tournament time.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Ever since the Old Big East dissolved and UConn found itself in the newly formed AAC, Husky WBB fans have hoped to see the overall competitive level of the other teams in the conference improve. Unfortunately, there are few signs that is happening.

We all know that UConn WBB has never lost a regular or postseason game vs an AAC foe. But beyond that, other AAC teams have posted few signature wins vs ranked teams. So far this season, all the other 11 AAC teams have struggled to post a winning record. Out of the 12 AAC teams, there are only 4 teams with winning records OOC: UConn (7-0), USF (5-4), Temple (5-4) & Wichita St (4-3).

At the same time, the majority of P5 conference teams have winning OOC records. The good news for UConn is that 7/10 Big East WBB teams currently have winning records. In the words of the beautiful duet by Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman Time to say goodbye” to the AAC.

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Here's Sha Na Na singing the song our girls will be singing at the end of every AAC game this year on their farewell tour. There are lots of versions of this song, but I like this version best. I really liked their TV show. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the words of the beautiful duet by Andrea Bocelli & Sarah Brightman Time to say goodbye” to the AAC.
Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Here's Sha Na Na singing the song our girls will be singing at the end of every AAC game this year on their exit tour. :D
“Get back, get back
Get back to where you once belonged”
And while enjoying this year’s team I’m looking forward to getting back to where UConn always belonged - on top of the women’s college basketball world !

CL82

Reaction Score
But I’m referring to the actual teams that made up the OBE. While there were numerous changes in the member schools in the OBE through the years, only UConn & Temple ended up as members of the AAC. The other 10 schools currently in the AAC had no affiliation with the OBE.
You forgot Cincinatti. Neither Temple nor Cinci were founding members but Cinci probably has a better claim to being an OBE member since it joined for all sports in 2005. Temple was a football only member from 1991-2005 when its status as an associate member was not renewed. It became an all sports member in 2013 when the Catholic 7 left.

Our main 'rivals' in the BE Syracuse, and BC are not in the NBE. I look forward closer opponents with familiar names in the NBE, but I loathe the notion that we left and came back. It just isn't accurate.

Reaction Score

And now for the nit-picking portion of our show:D. UConn is only 6-0 OOC and Temple is 5-3 OOC, since they played each other in a conference game already.;)

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Here's Sha Na Na singing the song our girls will be singing at the end of every AAC game this year on their farewell tour. There are lots of versions of this song, but I like this version best. I really liked their TV show. :D

I like Sha Na Na and this song, but my favorite version has to be that of The Spaniels. Old Pookie is hard to beat. :D

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You forgot Cincinatti. Neither Temple nor Cinci were founding members but Cinci probably has a better claim to being an OBE member since it joined for all sports in 2005. Temple was a football only member from 1991-2005 when its status as an associate member was not renewed. It became an all sports member in 2013 when the Catholic 7 left.

Our main 'rivals' in the BE Syracuse, and BC are not in the NBE. I look forward closer opponents with familiar names in the NBE, but I loathe the notion that we left and came back. It just isn't accurate.
Both of you are forgetting about South Florida, which was a member of the "old" Big East since about 2004 and moved over to the AAC.

CL82

Reaction Score
Both of you are forgetting about South Florida, which was a member of the "old" Big East since about 2004 and moved over to the AAC.
1575665961463.png

Carnac

Reaction Score
The AAC never celebrated the greatest program it will ever have. Screw 'em.

You can tell how much they appreciated having UConn in their conference. Next year they'll be a "mid-major" conference comprised strictly of mid-majors. :confused: They charged UConn an exorbitant exit fee to leave. "How do I love thee, let me COUNT the ways." :(

1575670318335.png

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, after we finish serenading the AAC with all of the selected versions of Goodnight Sweetheart, we'll have to present the BE with a signature tune just for them. And as Tom Lehrer used to say, "I have one here."

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
This thread is fun, but maybe just a bit premature?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
You can tell how much they appreciated having UConn in they're conference. Next year they'll be a "mid-major" conference comprised strictly of mid-majors. :confused: They charged UConn an exorbitant mount of exit fees to leave. "How do I love thee, let me COUNT the ways." :(
I mean, it may sound exorbitant but UConn didn't provide the 27 months notice required in the conference bylaws. They may have liked having UConn in the conference, not seeing them leave it. This is business after all.

And besides, the AAC is about football, not basketball.

Reaction Score
Just noting . . . WITH UConn still in it, Massey has the AAC as weaker than the Missouri Valley. Most likely, with UConn out it will be behind the WCC, as well.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Just noting . . . WITH UConn still in it, Massey has the AAC as weaker than the Missouri Valley. Most likely, with UConn out it will be behind the WCC, as well.

OMG. Thanks. We actually thought the AAC was better than the MVC. Good thing UConn is leaving.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Well, after we finish serenading the AAC with all of the selected versions of Goodnight Sweetheart, we'll have to present the BE with a signature tune just for them. And as Tom Lehrer used to say, "I have one here."

Ha ha, when I saw the group was Shep and the Limelites, I knew what the song was before I clicked on the play arrow. That was their “signature” song. A very a apropos selection sir. ;)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom