Time to Restock the NBA "Uconn Players" | The Boneyard

Time to Restock the NBA "Uconn Players"

Reaction Score
I fondly remember the day when the papers (yes I still read a print version) had a listing of all the UCONN players in the pros. At one time it was almost 15 deep. It's been thin the past decade with two to three players - mostly at the end of the line - Lamb, Gay, Drummond. Bouk was thought to be the next in line but a myraid of issues has derailed his career (who would of thought that David Duke Jr would have similar if not better NBA stat lines).

I can see all three of the guys in the 2023 draft cue playing in the Association next year. Hawkins leading the parade. A Jax is the wild card as his potential is off the charts. Sanago needs the right situation. That's a great start toward reloading. Clingan is the next up - possibly lottery bound and Karaban is someone that I expect to take an even bigger leap. He is a sniper from 3 and exactly what sells in the Association.

Follow that up with Battle and others in the Fab Five, we'll start to be back to the good old days of UCONN pros spread throughout several NBA Clubs.

Really pumped for the Draft. What say all of you.

Reaction Score
I think last year was actually really good for us too. Whaley and Martin haven't gotten big NBA minutes but they showed that we're putting players in a position to be pro-ready. If we can develop guys like that, who weren't very highly rated out of HS, and turn them into players who can even sniff NBA minutes, we're going to keep being a very appealing destination for recruits. Shoot, Tyrese was averaging 18 and 9 in the G-League last year even though his NBA stint was a little rough.

Reaction Score
Kemba is out, lamb is out, rudy has stuck around so long but he can be out soon…Drummond is basically going to be playing on minimums after this season and Bouknight could be canned after his next screw up. But it’s ok. Just a transition. I think we will start putting guys in the league soon that are almost sure things to get to a second contract starting with hawkins, Castle, and Clingan and hopefully Jackson and Sanogo can make rosters. The NBA is soooooo hard to carve out a career in.

Reaction Score
I fondly remember the day when the papers (yes I still read a print version) had a listing of all the UCONN players in the pros. At one time it was almost 15 deep. It's been thin the past decade with two to three players - mostly at the end of the line - Lamb, Gay, Drummond. Bouk was thought to be the next in line but a myraid of issues has derailed his career (who would of thought that David Duke Jr would have similar if not better NBA stat lines).

I can see all three of the guys in the 2023 draft cue playing in the Association next year. Hawkins leading the parade. A Jax is the wild card as his potential is off the charts. Sanago needs the right situation. That's a great start toward reloading. Clingan is the next up - possibly lottery bound and Karaban is someone that I expect to take an even bigger leap. He is a sniper from 3 and exactly what sells in the Association.

Follow that up with Battle and others in the Fab Five, we'll start to be back to the good old days of UCONN pros spread throughout several NBA Clubs.

Really pumped for the Draft. What say all of you.
Who is Battle? ( do you mean Castle) Most of those guys you mentioned are vets been in the league for a while had solid careers and made alit of money. Rudy played 10+ years Kemba injuries is taken him off the court other wise he'll still be great lamb to me didn't take his career serious too inconsistent when he shows some games he can be a force in the NBA and Drummond was better in his first couple of years he'll stick around for his rebounds and defense. Bouke got drafted to the wrong team and then his issue off the court. But yes we are getting back putting players in the league

Reaction Score
I think Bouk still has a chance to make something of his career. Charlotte has another team option on him the year after next season, he'll need to prove that he can be a reliable player to get that option picked up again especially considering the Hornets can pick Scoot Henderson at #2 and have decent backcourt depth as it is
  • Rudy has had a great career, but will be time to hang the shoes up soon
  • I think Drummond will bounce around for the next few years. He's a big body and is still pretty athletic, so no harm in keeping him on a small contract
  • Lamb was a great role player but injury ripped his knee apart right before the bubble, never was the same. Hopefully someone picks him up as a wing off the bench. I think he can still play, used to average 15 a game
  • Tyrese shredded the G League, averaged 18 a game as a late 2nd round pick. Not sure if he'll ever see major minutes as a reserve in Atlanta, but I'm sure they will keep him around if he keeps playing well
Hawkins needs to bulk up but should be a really great NBA fit with his ability to get himself open and shoot the ball. That's who future recruits will look at as the gold star story. Andre is a wild card but I absolutely believe he will work his way into being a serviceable NBA player. Sanogo needs to keep adapting his game to the modern NBA, but he has crazy work ethic and I bet he can do it as well

Castle and Clingan coming soon!

Reaction Score
Who is Battle? ( do you mean Castle) Most of those guys you mentioned are vets been in the league for a while had solid careers and made alit of money. Rudy played 10+ years Kemba injuries is taken him off the court other wise he'll still be great lamb to me didn't take his career serious too inconsistent when he shows some games he can be a force in the NBA and Drummond was better in his first couple of years he'll stick around for his rebounds and defense. Bouke got drafted to the wrong team and then his issue off the court. But yes we are getting back putting players in the league
Thanks for the heads up on my brain fart on Castle. Not sure where Battle came from. Too many tall boys watching the Nugs take down the Heat. (Celts should be playing - ugh)

Reaction Score
We should really be striving to have at least 1 guy get drafted each year. On a great year, we get 3 guys into the league (hopefully).

Next year we should add 2 more NBA guys with Castle and Clingan, with potential for a 3rd pick in Karaban.

I don’t want us to become the one and done NBA factory that Kentucky or Duke are. And I don’t think Hurley wants that type of culture either. The Bouk/Hawkins sophomore leap and then NBA is the best way to keep some sort of continuity between classes.

Reaction Score
Whaley I still think has a shot at having a stint in the NBA. He finished the G-League season with a 30 point game and was shot the 3 at 47% in the regular season. His minutes were inconsistent because Mark Williams and Kai Jones were in and out on assignment all year. His biggest shortcomings this year were free throw shooting and staying out of foul trouble.

I think if he has a good showing in the Summer League, he can really create an opportunity for himself.

Reaction Score
Is somone keeping an up-to-date list?

Right now it's pretty short. Rudy Gay, Andre Drummond (if he accepts his player option), James Bouknight, and Tyrese Martin are the only UConn players on an NBA contract

Jeremy Lamb and Kemba Walker's contracts just expired. In my opinion, Lamb has a small chance to get picked up as a reserve. Kemba unfortunately is most likely done. Maybe a veterans minimum as a mentor somewhere, but it's unlikely

Hopefully in a few months we add Jordan Hawkins, Andre Jackson, and Adama Sanogo to this list. And hopefully in a few years, we will need to keep a physical list since there will be too many to rattle off from the top of our heads :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom