Time to Pay Up | The Boneyard

Time to Pay Up

Reaction Score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/09/ncaa-nil-guidelines-next-steps/

It appears that compensation for college athletes' NILs is inevitable. The NCAA has acknowledged that such payments are about to be implemented whether it likes it or not. So, predictably, the self-appointed stewards of the rights of so-call amateurs are hustling to try to assert whatever control they can before push comes to shove. Per the WaPo essay cited above, meetings are already scheduled by the NCAA to try and influence what is seen as a possibly “existential” threat. Whatever happens, the courts will probably decide whether a continued monopoly of students' rights to share in the wealth they help create will be permitted. Pandora's Box is creaking open.

The article notes that 13 states have already passed legislation permitting athletes to monetize their NILs. There is, however, a lack of coordination among these: some will apply soon while others are put off for the future. It's difficult to imagine that some athletes will be able to benefit right away and others will not. Clearly a uniform process is needed covering everyone. And it needs to happen soon.

I imagine that athletes will be able to advertise products and/or support causes for pay. Will this include footwear (aka/the Big Bucks)? Will we see a Paige Bueckers sneaker? An Azzi Fudd line of clothing? A Dawn Staley (approved) basketball?

Certainly there can be no monetary incentives in recruiting, although schools that get maximum media exposure may benefit. How many women have announced the decision to go to UConn because it maximizes their chances of playing professionally? Training and exposure are the Husky enticements.

I suppose that we need to give up the idea that student-athletes exist solely to entertain us exclusive of their personal interests and ambitions.

Can you suggest a list of wcbb players who would benefit most from compensation? Slim, for sure, and who else?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Between the hodgepodge of state laws and whatever the bumbling NCAA comes up with, there will undoubtedly be lots of confusion. Personally, I believe NIL opportunities for college athletes can’t happen soon enough, regardless of the challenges present in the actual implementation.

Reaction Score
Azzi already has her brand, Azzi35 in Hoop Planet USA since 2020. But it is no longer in Hoop Planet now.

Reaction Score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/09/ncaa-nil-guidelines-next-steps/

It appears that compensation for college athletes' NILs is inevitable. The NCAA has acknowledged that such payments are about to be implemented whether it likes it or not. So, predictably, the self-appointed stewards of the rights of so-call amateurs are hustling to try to assert whatever control they can before push comes to shove. Per the WaPo essay cited above, meetings are already scheduled by the NCAA to try and influence what is seen as a possibly “existential” threat. Whatever happens, the courts will probably decide whether a continued monopoly of students' rights to share in the wealth they help create will be permitted. Pandora's Box is creaking open.

The article notes that 13 states have already passed legislation permitting athletes to monetize their NILs. There is, however, a lack of coordination among these: some will apply soon while others are put off for the future. It's difficult to imagine that some athletes will be able to benefit right away and others will not. Clearly a uniform process is needed covering everyone. And it needs to happen soon.

I imagine that athletes will be able to advertise products and/or support causes for pay. Will this include footwear (aka/the Big Bucks)? Will we see a Paige Bueckers sneaker? An Azzi Fudd line of clothing? A Dawn Staley (approved) basketball?

Certainly there can be no monetary incentives in recruiting, although schools that get maximum media exposure may benefit. How many women have announced the decision to go to UConn because it maximizes their chances of playing professionally? Training and exposure are the Husky enticements.

I suppose that we need to give up the idea that student-athletes exist solely to entertain us exclusive of their personal interests and ambitions.

Can you suggest a list of wcbb players who would benefit most from compensation? Slim, for sure, and who else?
Lol I thought climate change was the existential threat or was it the pandemic or Jan. 6 or cows or...

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
image.jpeg

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Is the NIL only for college level athletes? If not, interesting scenario to me. What happens if the next Paige or Azzi gets paid for wearing non-Nike shoes and/or apparel while in HS but then comes to UConn where everything is Nike? Or if a NIL college player transfers from a non-Nike school to a Nike school?
Just wondering as I am guessing that these scenarios haven't been figured out yet.

W

wolfe613

this is horrible for college sports but it's not like I care much about CFB is dead anyways since the playoff killed the sport. Just glad I was able to watch Goat of cfb Tebow and he said it best in this article

If there was EVER a person who deserved to be paid for what he did for a college it was Tebow and the fact he stands by teamwork and not about the money I will always applaud him, also congrats to him on going back to the NFL :)

Reaction Score
Sadly, as a coach, Dawn is NOT eligible for student-athlete compensation. But her contributions to the game with balls certified to be round and her ability to create banners that reference virtual reality should not go unmentioned.
Even as we write, Ms Staley is arduously counting the nubbins on the ball used in the UConn game, which she may or may not have lost.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Sadly, as a coach, Dawn is NOT eligible for student-athlete compensation. But her contributions to the game with balls certified to be round and her ability to create banners that reference virtual reality should not go unmentioned.
Even as we write, Ms Staley is arduously counting the nubbins on the ball used in the UConn game, which she may or may not have lost.
Just a side note, her banner envy and ball choice has gotten more than enough ink on the BY, wonder how much ink on other sites.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Just a side note, her banner envy and ball choice has gotten more than enough ink on the BY, wonder how much ink on other sites.
Volnation has had some fun with this also

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom