Time to eat some crow | The Boneyard

Time to eat some crow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Over the summer and in the early part of the season, I was astonishingly, mind-bogglingly wrong about Morgan Tuck. I thought that she wouldn't/shouldn't start (over Stokes) and that at her height and quickness, she had the potential to put up big numbers against smaller competition, but not against elite post defenses. Even after the Notre Dame game, it felt too good to be true, and I wanted to wait to see her do it a few more times before admitting that she was an elite post player. It's been great to see her make me and her other critics look clueless over the course of the season.

Even so, I don't think that there are many people outside of Huskyville who really get how fantastic she's been. I would argue that she is the most underrated player to play for a major program. She is already, as a red-shirt sophomore, one of the highest basketball IQ post players we've ever had, is tremendously mature, works very well within our offense, has a knack for being at the right place at the right time, is a great defender, and is extraordinarily crafty at getting/shooting around bigger defenders. It'll never happen, but she deserves to be recognized with Jefferson, KML, and Stewie as one of four players on this team who are in the top 10 in the country. If she were playing for a team like Baylor or Maryland, she might have that opportunity, but no one comes to UConn to have their stats stand out.

Today was a great example of her abilities. Especially in the beginning of the game, when Stewart missed a few early shots, she was one of the reasons that we still jumped out to an early lead over Texas. She made some great plays to get the ball in the basket, despite giving up 6 inches to McGee-Stafford, and was responsible for some great defensive plays that won't show up in the box score, but really prevented Texas from gettting in an offensive rhythm.

I'm so impressed with Morgan and her accomplishments, and really excited to see her play a few more games and (hopefully) three more seasons with us.

HuskyJohn

Popular poster
Reaction Score
Well said, ndmb. Going into this season, I'm sure many UConn fans had questions about how well Morgan would be able to recover from her surgery and perform on the court. It is hard to believe that any of us has had a hint of disappointment. We and Morgan have been very fortunate.

That said, I think we'll have to limit our hopes for the future to two more seasons.

Reaction Score
She's in a league with KML for "invisible" contributions. Boxouts, deflections, disruptions, durability come swiftly to mind.

Reaction Score
Why did the coaching staff stick with her all this time? They knew then what we know now. It is a wonderful thing to see Morgan out there playing unhindered.

Reaction Score
Over the summer and in the early part of the season, I was astonishingly, mind-bogglingly wrong about Morgan Tuck. I thought that she wouldn't/shouldn't start (over Stokes) and that at her height and quickness, she had the potential to put up big numbers against smaller competition, but not against elite post defenses. Even after the Notre Dame game, it felt too good to be true, and I wanted to wait to see her do it a few more times before admitting that she was an elite post player. It's been great to see her make me and her other critics look clueless over the course of the season.

Even so, I don't think that there are many people outside of Huskyville who really get how fantastic she's been. I would argue that she is the most underrated player to play for a major program. She is already, as a red-shirt sophomore, one of the highest basketball IQ post players we've ever had, is tremendously mature, works very well within our offense, has a knack for being at the right place at the right time, is a great defender, and is extraordinarily crafty at getting/shooting around bigger defenders. It'll never happen, but she deserves to be recognized with Jefferson, KML, and Stewie as one of four players on this team who are in the top 10 in the country. If she were playing for a team like Baylor or Maryland, she might have that opportunity, but no one comes to UConn to have their stats stand out.

Today was a great example of her abilities. Especially in the beginning of the game, when Stewart missed a few early shots, she was one of the reasons that we still jumped out to an early lead over Texas. She made some great plays to get the ball in the basket, despite giving up 6 inches to McGee-Stafford, and was responsible for some great defensive plays that won't show up in the box score, but really prevented Texas from gettting in an offensive rhythm.

I'm so impressed with Morgan and her accomplishments, and really excited to see her play a few more games and (hopefully) three more seasons with us.
Excellent post! All of us should be so honest when a self-imposed portion of crow in the diet is called for. In this case, and I don't mean this to sound in any way "snarky," I was surprised (as were a couple of others) during the months leading up to the season that in all our mutual speculation about who would start, etc., that people seemed to somewhat disregard Morgan. Of course, none of us knew what the status of her knee health would be. But I felt that people had forgotten not only her flashes of brilliance as a Freshman, but, in some ways even more important, how much trust Geno placed in her during that year. He made it abundantly clear, given his usual predilection for not playing the Frosh too liberally, the high regard in which he held her, and she came through remarkably well. But now, of course, she's become such a complete player that we cannot imagine this team without her! When she's barreling up the baseline do you smile in anticipation of her patented reverse layup move?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For a bunch of us, we understood the seriousness of the knee procedure and recovery prospects and just were not willing to be overly optimistic about how quickly she could get back to the player she was capable of being. A pleasant surprise that the recovery was so quick and successful. I don't think anyone really questioned her skills.

Reaction Score
For a bunch of us, we understood the seriousness of the knee procedure and recovery prospects and just were not willing to be overly optimistic about how quickly she could get back to the player she was capable of being. A pleasant surprise that the recovery was so quick and successful. I don't think anyone really questioned her skills.

Not that some didn't question her skills. I just think some didn't think she could finish well in traffic or would struggle to rebound "well enough." However with Morgan -- the injuries could very well be the reason why some would question she could do so well also. That wouldn't make them "wrong." Some just wanted to see. So I guess it comes down to -- to each his own for their own reasons.

Reaction Score
Morgan is that happy confluence of serious talent and leadership. This team is like lightning in a bottle now, and you get the impression that they are each contributing to each other's development in ways that are taking them to transcendent levels. Enjoy them while they are together...the Olympic Games don't come frequently enough for the reunions...

GG

Reaction Score
Morgan is one of my all-time favorites. Love her game.

Reaction Score
Agree with all these acolades. Just add that she could tone down the 3's for now, concentrate on what she does best. Maybe add that shot next year.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Just go back and look at the overtime ND loss debacle.
Morgan almost won the game single-handedly (as an injured freshman).

Reaction Score
Agree with all these acolades. Just add that she could tone down the 3's for now, concentrate on what she does best. Maybe add that shot next year.

She was 2-4 (50%) in a 50 point win and you want her to tone it down? I don''t agree. No reason for her to play scared. It's not like she is firing up 8-- 3' a game. Her 3pt shooting has improved since early in the year. Miss a few than I can see her stopping especially if game is close. But she can't play scared and no reason to play any different than what she has lately. And lately on occasion if she is open- take the shot- judiciously. Four attempts in 50 pt game is okay.

Reaction Score
My wife has had micro fracture surgery on both knees. She 100 percent now but the recovery period and rehab is bitch. Congrats to Morgan now and in her future!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom