Time Outs | The Boneyard

Time Outs

Status
Not open for further replies.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Is there a coach with worse TO management than Ollie? I defend the guy and don't think he should be on the "hot seat" yet but I can't wrap my head around his reluctance to call a TO. You're up 12, your last two possessions didn't run through Miller and your defense collapsed to the post? Call a time out and regroup your kids! You have them to burn and you have the lead. Use. Them.

Watching other teams play pretty much whenever someone I'm watching with or I says "need a TO" we're right and there's a whistle right away. With Ollie they're never called. What's up with that?

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Is there a coach with worse TO management than Ollie? I defend the guy and don't think he should be on the "hot seat" yet but I can't wrap my head around his reluctance to call a TO. You're up 12, your last two possessions didn't run through Miller and your defense collapsed to the post? Call a time out and regroup your kids! You have them to burn and you have the lead. Use. Them.

Watching other teams play pretty much whenever someone I'm watching with or I says "need a TO" we're right and there's a whistle right away. With Ollie they're never called. What's up with that?

We were up 12 with 5 minutes left. Remember, coaches have only 4 timeouts to work with instead of 5, and the "use it or lose it" TO still applies, so they really only have 3 timeouts in the half...not to mention coaches like to save one for under the last minute. So, my point is, you can't blow through the timeouts if you're Ollie. We were firmly in control, then Temple hit three 3s in a row and he called a time-out. You can't waste timeouts after every bad possession or you'd be out by the under-16 minute TO in the 2nd half.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
We were up 12 with 5 minutes left. Remember, coaches have only 4 timeouts to work with instead of 5, and the "use it or lose it" TO still applies, so they really only have 3 timeouts in the half...not to mention coaches like to save one for under the last minute. So, my point is, you can't blow through the timeouts if you're Ollie. We were firmly in control, then Temple hit three 3s in a row and he called a time-out. You can't waste timeouts after every bad possession or you'd be out by the under-16 minute TO in the 2nd half.
I understand that, but if I see my offense not running any plays and not doing what they're supposed to do for a few possessions in a row, and then the team give up a huge 3, I'm calling it. You're right, up 12 with 5 minutes left. You can be less concerned about saving them.

Reaction Score

Uh, he did call a timeout.

He called a timeout at 6 minutes when the lead went from 12 to 10.

Then he called a timeout at 4 minutes when the lead was cut to 5.

He had one timeout left.

Ollie and the team did a lot of things wrong in the final 5 minutes.

I don't think an unwillingness to call timeouts was one of them.

I mean, he called 2 of them in that early stretch, and he only had one left for crunch time.

Reaction Score
I understand that, but if I see my offense not running any plays and not doing what they're supposed to do for a few possessions in a row, and then the team give up a huge 3, I'm calling it. You're right, up 12 with 5 minutes left. You can be less concerned about saving them.

He actually did call the early timeout.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Hamilton hit a jumper to put us up by 11 at the 5:14 mark. We then had two empty possessions after that, and Temple hit 3s on each of their 3 possessions to cut the lead to 2 at the 3:46 mark. That's about a minute and a half of game time that elapsed, and two possessions by us. I'm not quite sure what you wanted Ollie to do; in face, in reading your post, he did exactly what you asked: we had a few empty possessions in a row, and he called a TO after a big 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom