Time for the freshman to show up in the box score. | The Boneyard

Time for the freshman to show up in the box score.

Reaction Score
The frosh scored 14 points against Nova, half by Akok. If we are to have a positive season they simply have to contribute more. They have been around the block, played on the road, before full and empty houses, each has had some success at times. It's been 17 games. Long enough to build a little chemistry, learn strengths and weaknesses, develop a routine.

The next stretch is time to put those lessons to work. To show what they have. To produce a breakout game or two. This season is getting long very fast. Gaf, Bouk and Cook need to turn a corner to make it fun again.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
They are talented freshmen, but it is crazy to think that they are ready to even carry a team to the NIT. They are contributors, not leaders for this team. And there is nothing wrong with that. Their time will come.

Reaction Score
I'm long-term psyched for Akok and Bouknight, but have yet to see what to get excited about with Gaffney.

Since I haven't been able to see it in game action yet, what about his profile translates well to the college game so I can look forward to his development next year?

This isn't a knock on Gaffney, it's more of a redux of how I viewed Brendan Adams last year: Didn't see much of anything from him, but in his 2nd year glad to see development as a strong, defensive guard with a developing outside shot.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I know things have changed with kids playing AAU and prep school factories, but time was kids got to mature on freshman teams and even then, the kids who made an impact as sophomores in their first varsity season were labeled Super Sophs. Not that many freshman, regardless of talent, are that ready to lead. One of the few in our program was KEA who just had the personality and mentality.

Reaction Score
It's tough to know how much Gaffney has been limited by the injury. We know that his handle needs tightening up, but really thought he'd have a little more burst going to the basket.

Reaction Score
Freshman will grow. It's not like they're Zion or a once in a generation talent. Those types of freshman are very rare in any day.

I've seen enough glimpses of all the freshmen under Hurley to say that they will be big time players for the program in the near future. It's about patience. This board has an expectation that if they have one breakout game (or a few like Bouknight in the Charleston classic) then they will be consistent contributors for the whole season.

It's evident that Bouknight still has to learn some things such as when to drive and when to shoot. That comes with experience. He's maturing.

As for Akok, he will be way, way better next season, and has been outstanding this season. Gaffney will be a good player and Hurley throws him in tough situations at times so he can learn from those experiences to enhance his maturation.

Reaction Score
Here’s the thing though. All of them are more or less projects of one sort or another. None are complete players of the sort we really needed them to be to have a successful year. We needed Bouknight to be Ray Allen, Ben Gordon Khalid elAmin level freshman and/or Akock to be Richard Hamilton Rudy Gay Caron Butler Donyell Marshall level. Neither are that good. Both look like they will be here 3-4 years (yes I know many of those guys were here 3 years but different era. 1-done was less common then)

Reaction Score
The thing is we're playing against freshmen and sophomores - and our frosh were probably very good against the same competition in HS and AAU - why are they shrinking against the same level of players in the bigger games?

We need 3 legit threats on offense, right now we have 1.5 on the court at any time - and those 1.5 get choked out because there is no other help right now

Reaction Score
They are talented freshmen, but it is crazy to think that they are ready to even carry a team to the NIT. They are contributors, not leaders for this team. And there is nothing wrong with that. Their time will come.
I read about or watch other games and freshmen are leading ranked teams to victories. Hate to say it but our freshmen are overrated by many. I think they are program players, not players to lead us to being a top team.

Reaction Score
Bouknight and Akok can be special players but it's early. They both have showed it at times but what's not there yet is the consistency.

Reaction Score

True. But my post was not about leading or carrying the team. My point is that they need to make meaningful contributions or we have no chance to have a successful season. They need to flash. Produce more than 14 points in 77 combined minutes. There are 200 total minutes in a game.

They don't need to lead but they cannot be passengers. Of course they will be inconsistent but part of that inconsistency should be games where they exceed expectations. Sometimes they should surprise to the upside. We need it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I read about or watch other games and freshmen are leading ranked teams to victories. Hate to say it but our freshmen are overrated by many. I think they are program players, not players to lead us to being a top team.

This board is turning on our future stars pretty quickly.

Players get better over time, and player development is where the best coaches separate from the pack. We will see what Hurley can do.

Reaction Score
Bouk needs to work on his hands (meaning getting them stronger, catching the ball, etc.) He has had many bobbles over the past few games. Everyone keeps saying how talented he is on the offensive end (and of course I see the flashes and the fluidity) but he has a prime opportunity to show he can be a bona fide scorer. Hopefully he takes that opportunity, I will trade the bad decisions and TOs that will come along with this because this team absolutely needs a bona fide scorer (we don't have anyone on a consistent basis).

Akok has been fantastic, seems to be tiring a bit but really no complaints. Maybe a little more scoring in the paint and less time outside for him but quibbling here.

Gaffney will take some time but he needs minutes at the 1, no substitute for game experience.

Really concerned about how DH has seemingly made us a one-dimensional post scoring team. I don't think we are strong enough physically to play this way when we play Houston, Cincy, SMU and Memphis. I just don't see any real success with this strategy and it makes us easy to defend.

Over the past 5 games (Cin, USF, Tul, WS and Nova):

We are 25-85 from 3PT (29.4%)

217 of our 316 points scored in these games were from the line or in the paint. So, we are averaging 19.8 points/game from outside the paint (excluding trips to the line which by the way we are only averaging 10 trips per game over these past 5).

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
My hope is for Gaffney to develop into a Craig Austrie type of guy
I think he has a higher ceiling, but as a poster mentioned above he is more situated for a 2 guard. Wouldn’t mind getting him some looks from 3...we need it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The thing is we're playing against freshmen and sophomores - and our frosh were probably very good against the same competition in HS and AAU - why are they shrinking against the same level of players in the bigger games?

We need 3 legit threats on offense, right now we have 1.5 on the court at any time - and those 1.5 get choked out because there is no other help right now

Because they are matched up against kids/guys who are bigger and stronger. A lot of the teams UConn has faced has upper class men or highly ranked recruits in the same positions.
The UConn kids have no idea how to play man to man D with their feet (they are good at help D) but they will learn or won't play. It also doesn't help that there is not a lot of structured offense.
In the end - it is what it has been now for 4 years - men vs boys

Reaction Score
One of the somewhat frustrating things is that I think people were expecting Gaffney to be much further along in his development than he actually right now. IIRC, Gaffney was rated higher than Bouknight on all the recruiting sites. Im not worried about any of the Freshman, I actually expect a huge jump in production from Gaffney, Bouknight, and Akok going into next season.

Reaction Score
Good pull, @gtcam. Not sure of the context of those posts (one looks to be addressing defense and the other individual offensive contribution) but...

systemic erosion over time, that’s why we’re not winning these close ones against tournament caliber teams. The talent and ‘look’ of the team doesnt stack up against average teams. Who can we point to and know they’re gonna get 8-10 rpg on this roster?

however, at this stage of the year we can’t have goose eggs from guys we need points from regardless of class.

I think Akok and Bouk are players. Hurleys offense aside, they have to be assertive, demand the ball and make plays. Gotta ‘go be an athlete’ out there

Reaction Score

Nice to see you still have the ability to construct straw men.
Hitting a few threes is not asking them for too much. No one is expecting them to carry a team just keep the defense honest. It’s that simple
Two of these guys are starters and the other is our sixth man.
CV shot 36.6% from the three as an unheralded freshman . Vance Jackson shot 39.9% . Those guys were allegedly stiffs . We would be a different team with that production.
in any case without Polley someone has to show their a college level shooter.
If your offense is Gilbert, Vital , snd Carlton than anyone who complains about those three is an ignorant fool.
Even you or almost anyone on the board could devise a defense with 5 guys to stop 3.
its really simple math.
Adams has been here for two Akok has been here a year and a half and is 20 years old. Just a few months younger than Polley. So their not exactly kids.
Somebody better step up or we might as well mail it in.

Reaction Score
Napier averaged 13.1 points per 40 in his freshman year. Bouknight is averaging 18.1.
Napier 8.3 vs. Bouknight 11 ppg in conference play.

Chill. It's unfortunate that we need more from them, but they'll only be able to give what they can as freshmen.

Reaction Score
I kind of worry that’s the case too. Not so much Akock Because bigs sometimes take time. But the o5hers for sure. Everybody talks about all this talent Bouknight has but if he does he sure is hiding it well lately.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The question is simply this: What about Gaffney's game suggests that he is a true point, except that Bouknight is slated for the off guard spot and is a few inches taller than Gaffney? Gaffney looks like a two guard to me.
I think he would flourish as a two.
Opposing players don't respect his handle at all.

Reaction Score
Opposing players don't respect his handle at all.

He certainly looks tentative with the ball. Tough to tell whether that is just weakness with the ball or a loss of quickness/movement due to the injury. I won't judge him until we see him next year.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He certainly looks tentative with the ball. Tough to tell whether that is just weakness with the ball or a loss of quickness/movement due to the injury. I won't judge him until we see him next year.
He has high dribble and doesn't really pound the ball. It's a steal waiting to happen. I took a look at some of his HS footage and it is there as well. It was just less of an issue. It's correctable. Personally, I think Gaffney is going to be good 4 year player for us. Some of his current issues are a result of the injury and some are just freshmen being freshman.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom