Tim Boyle Makes It Clear: He's UConn's QB Of The Future | The Boneyard

Tim Boyle Makes It Clear: He's UConn's QB Of The Future

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Get your popcorn...

George-Seinfeld-Popcorn.gif

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-cincinnati-football-1119-20141118-story.html

>>Boyle, a sophomore who won three state titles at Xavier-Middletown, says he isn't going anywhere. "Not even a thought in my mind about leaving," he said Tuesday. "One hundred percent, I'm staying."<<

>>So Boyle is staying because? "Because I've dedicated a lot of time and energy and passion to this program and I truly think Coach Diaco is the real deal and I think that we're actually, legitimately, going to go down a path of winning championships and I want to be a part of it. I trust him 100 percent and I trust the players on this team. I think we're going to go places."<<

>>"It's tough trying to keep a positive attitude, but the way I see it is I get to wake up and play football and go to school for free," Boyle said. "I don't see anything negative with that. I see playing one series in a game a blessing that I've got to get some game experience. Obviously I'd like to be playing more as a competitor but I'm completely and 100 percent OK with the decision he's making because it's what's best for the team right now – and I can't be selfish in what I want to do. I have to understand what's best for the team. "<<

Reaction Score
Gotta like the attitude... I respect that... He took a step forward as a man... Now walk the walk young man... what we've seen of you so far isn't enough to completely write you off, but the at the same time feel optomistic about you... Lets see what you can do come 2015...

Reaction Score
I've been reading all the discussions about Boyle all year and I can't get one thing out of my head. In his first game last year he looked sooo good. His receivers dropped a couple of TDs but he looked great. He moved well, stood tall in the pocket and showed a cannon arm. I remember comparing him to Matty Ice and thinking that this guy was something special. Of course, each game after that he regressed. This year, I would have loved to see him get a first down or two so that he could stay on the field for a while. The fact that he only gets one series tells me that Diaco is not seeing enough out of him in practice to give him more time. That is really puzzling to me. Was his first game just a fluke? Hard to understand how a guy with that talent couldn't get more time on the field.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was thinking about the first quarter against USF today.

I hope Diaco gives him a shot on Saturday. You want to bring Chandler back for SMU that is fine with me - but I think I'd like to see Boyle Saturday from the start.

Reaction Score
Great to hear this from Boyle. I hope he stays and lights up the scoreboard next year, he certainly has the talent to do it and next year he should have the pass protection and a talented group of receivers to boot.

If Boyle can win the job Shirreffs could be the wildcat / change of pace QB and we can redshirt Davis. One of these years we are going to successfully redshirt a QB.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm thinking that if the offense had been more productive early Diaco would have been afforded the opportunity to bring in Boyle for longer stretches but between the inopportune mistakes(fumbles, penalties, inites) and the awful way the O-line started out the season there was just no leeway to take a chance on anyone less than the most experienced. And lets not forget that had Cochran remained healthy Boyle would still be the backup going into next season. So now's his chance to shine and got my fingers crossed that Boyle shines brighter than any other before him.

- GO HUSKIES!!

Reaction Score
Ya think his younger brother, Lance Boyle, might provide some competition at QB next year?

Reactions: THC
Reaction Score
I THINK THAT PEOPLE HAVE SHORT MEMORIES. Last year as a true freshman he was thrown into the MEAT of the schedule, in the midst of a coaching change, had a few TD's dropped early, and the line was particularly dreadful against that competition. I watched Meyer at Florida ruin Chris Leak and then Tebow. I hope Diaco doesn't ruin Boyle. Comes from a top flight in state program, team player thru his junior year in high school waiting patiently behind some quality talent and has shown class with his remarks. Diaco, treat this kid properly, if he can't play so be it but it would be nice to know from seeing it on the field. Other kids in CT are watching lets show them we give home grown a chance.

Reaction Score
I love what he brings to the table physically. I think his confidence was broken as the losses mounted last year. Taking his RS off last year was huge mistake. Taking it off this year was maybe necessary. Either way hasn't caught too many breaks with coaching decisions during his time here for sure.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Ya think his younger brother, Lance Boyle, might provide some competition at QB next year?

Just hope he's near as good as his uncle, the legendary Shrimp Boyle.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I THINK THAT PEOPLE HAVE SHORT MEMORIES. Last year as a true freshman he was thrown into the MEAT of the schedule, in the midst of a coaching change, had a few TD's dropped early, and the line was particularly dreadful against that competition. I watched Meyer at Florida ruin Chris Leak and then Tebow. I hope Diaco doesn't ruin Boyle. Comes from a top flight in state program, team player thru his junior year in high school waiting patiently behind some quality talent and has shown class with his remarks. Diaco, treat this kid properly, if he can't play so be it but it would be nice to know from seeing it on the field. Other kids in CT are watching lets show them we give home grown a chance.

I will root Tim on when his time comes - I am a supporter of UConn athletes.

But I will agree I dont agree with some of your points...

Care to explain on how Urban Meyer ruined Tim Tebow? Without Urban Meyer Tim Tebow never gets drafted in my opinion - UM made Tim Tebow.

I dont necessarily agree with 'if he can't play so be it but it would be nice to know from seeing it on the field' - No more Preseason FB at UConn, ever again. Thats what Spring camp and August are for - we as a fan base dont want to find out which players cant play during games anymore - coach needs to figure that out ahead of time come next year.

'Other kids in CT are watching lets show them we give home grown a chance.' - um - We have Graham Stewart and Arkeel Newsome as home grown players who are given a chance - you earn your burn.

I dont agree the OL was particularly dreadful last year during games 4-8 - compared to games 4-8 this year they were light years better.

With that said - he does come from a top flight program -is a team player and has been classy through and through.

Reaction Score
Right now it 'appears' Tim is being mis-used and held back. To change that perception you play him now. Let everyone see on the field what Diaco is seeing in practice. If Diaco is true to his word, that this is a process and we need to see what we have, do it now.

Reaction Score

LOL at Urban Meyer ruining Chris Leak and Tebow.

Reaction Score
Bottom line is this. Boyle has been a good soldier despite (IMO) being mishandled for the second straight year. From the beginning I've advocated to go one of two ways with Boyle. Either RS him until you have to play him or give him prolonged playing time and let him make mistakes, develop, and evaluate him. The way Diaco has handled this he accomplished neither. Hopefully during these last 3 games we see a lot more of Boyle. As in the whole game. I'm not holding my breath because no decision Diaco has made this year made any sense to me, but I think there's a good chance that happens.

Reaction Score
Here is how U Meyer ruined Leak and Tebow. In the case of Leak he tried to turn a near perfect pro style pocket passer into an option running QB. If Leak had left after his soph year he was a consensus 1-2 round pick. After 2 years under Meyer a kid who was never a running QB in HS was undrafted and moved to Canada to play. Tebow, NFL analyst's seem to universally concur has a terrible throwing motion and despite his great demeanor and work ethic could never adjust to the pro game. Most of his work while at Florida was option short passes and primarily option running. He was solid in the college game but the NFL is a different animal and his college prep took a kid who had massive passing numbers in HS, to be considered impossible to fix. Even the master Bilichick who loved Tebow's intangibles could not waste a roster spot to retrain Tebow's throwing motion. So a great arm gets wasted because his college coach wanted an option runner. Kids come with different skill sets and your coach in college should help you improve instead Meyer never took him to the next level. Look at his games, he was running 70% of the time and when he threw the ball it was mostly on the run to short routes just behind the LB's who had to respect his running ability at that level.
To Bone head, I was curt to you in a prior post and for that I apologize sincerely. You are obviously a serious Husky fan and God knows we need everyone of your caliber behind our programs. I hope you will give this response some thought since I married a Florida Gator and probably watched almost all of Leak's and Tebow's games. Unfortunately for my wife I too am a serious Husky fan for all sports and now she gets to watch Husky football. I love our team, I just think you enhance the tools your players have rather than try and force fit them into an offense. Pasq recruited Boyle who dropped a BC scholarship since Addazio told him they were going to change the offensive style at BC. He goes to UConn to run a pro style offense. Give him a chance to prove or disprove his critics and fans.

Reaction Score
Chris Leak - National Championship winning quarterback
Tim Tebow - Heisman winner and National Championship winning quarterback

If that's your idea or definition of "ruining", then I hope Diaco walks all over Tim Boyle if that's what could come out of it.

Reaction Score
Here is how U Meyer ruined Leak and Tebow. In the case of Leak he tried to turn a near perfect pro style pocket passer into an option running QB. If Leak had left after his soph year he was a consensus 1-2 round pick. After 2 years under Meyer a kid who was never a running QB in HS was undrafted and moved to Canada to play. Tebow, NFL analyst's seem to universally concur has a terrible throwing motion and despite his great demeanor and work ethic could never adjust to the pro game. Most of his work while at Florida was option short passes and primarily option running. He was solid in the college game but the NFL is a different animal and his college prep took a kid who had massive passing numbers in HS, to be considered impossible to fix. Even the master Bilichick who loved Tebow's intangibles could not waste a roster spot to retrain Tebow's throwing motion. So a great arm gets wasted because his college coach wanted an option runner. Kids come with different skill sets and your coach in college should help you improve instead Meyer never took him to the next level. Look at his games, he was running 70% of the time and when he threw the ball it was mostly on the run to short routes just behind the LB's who had to respect his running ability at that level.
To Bone head, I was curt to you in a prior post and for that I apologize sincerely. You are obviously a serious Husky fan and God knows we need everyone of your caliber behind our programs. I hope you will give this response some thought since I married a Florida Gator and probably watched almost all of Leak's and Tebow's games. Unfortunately for my wife I too am a serious Husky fan for all sports and now she gets to watch Husky football. I love our team, I just think you enhance the tools your players have rather than try and force fit them into an offense. Pasq recruited Boyle who dropped a BC scholarship since Addazio told him they were going to change the offensive style at BC. He goes to UConn to run a pro style offense. Give him a chance to prove or disprove his critics and fans.

I don't even know where to begin with this. Perhaps sub legacy said it best and we should leave it at that.

Reaction Score
Chris Leak - National Championship winning quarterback
Tim Tebow - Heisman winner and National Championship winning quarterback

If that's your idea or definition of "ruining", then I hope Diaco walks all over Tim Boyle if that's what could come out of it.
what uconn 34 is saying though is what happened next? You have 2 high profile NC winning qb's that (except for a brief Tebow flame) flopped at the next level, though it looked like they might have had the skills pre Meyer. Its a valid point.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
First - thanks for the apology - I was a bit snarky as well.

Second - thanks for seeing me as a serious Husky supporter.

Third - I don't know the background of Leak like you but Tebow knew what the system was when recruited - that system fit him to a tee - he spent 2-3 years with the top QB teachers and still couldnt catch on at the NFL level, I dont put that on Urban Meyer - but hey, ask my wife, she claims I am NOT right all the time, I disagree with her.

Fourth - I am going to give Tim Boyle my support and do so in his limited on field play, but in his limited minutes I am not impressed. He has regressed with his on field play, and to me chances to prove or disprove his critics and fans needs to happen at the coach level first - I dont know if CW has 'some dirt on Diaco' or what but there is a reason CW continues to be the main QB on this team. Bad practice player, bad reads, I really dont know why TB doesnt get the time behind center - you would think some media person might ask that question - maybe I will ask during the Husky Walk Saturday night! :) After the injury to CC coach could have come out and said 51/49 CW and TB but he didnt - that was eye opening to me. Again - preseason is over and I never want to see it again during the regular season - earn your burn at practice, impress the coaches, make them play your ass!!

Reaction Score
what uconn 34 is saying though is what happened next? You have 2 high profile NC winning qb's that (except for a brief Tebow flame) flopped at the next level, though it looked like they might have had the skills pre Meyer. Its a valid point.

No, it's not. Backups QB's get drafted into the league. If you have talent, they will find you and develop you. Urban Meyer didn't ruin either QB. Tebow was a friggin 1st round draft pick and couldn't stay in the league for more than 3 years.

It's like saying Calhoun ruined Thabeet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom