Tiffany Hayes | The Boneyard

Tiffany Hayes

Status
Not open for further replies.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Worth singling out. I think it was her best UConn game since UNC a couple of years ago. Seven assists and one turnover! More importanly, most of her points were scored driving to the basket and blowing by her opponents. All of this while seemingly totally in control! Instead of driving straight into the defense she used her speed to get around the defenders.

If Hayes can play like this for the rest of the season I like UConn's chances at a NC. Actually, I like their chances anyway.

Reaction Score
Definitely worth noting. I feel like Tiffany isn't nearly praised enough for her great performances. I'm so very happy for her.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The problem for Tiff isn't the great plays she makes which are numerous, but are rather the number of poor plays she makes some games that offset those. As her consistency increases so does her ultimate value.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Worth singling out. I think it was her best UConn game since UNC a couple of years ago. Seven assists and one turnover! More importanly, most of her points were scored driving to the basket and blowing by her opponents. All of this while seemingly totally in control! Instead of driving straight into the defense she used her speed to get around the defenders.

If Hayes can play like this for the rest of the season I like UConn's chances at a NC. Actually, I like their chances anyway.
you beat me to it...Go Tiff!

did you see the 3 straight basket she made... Tiffany Hayes played well (hopefully 'yarders will STOP attaching "inconsistant" next to her name)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

did you see the 3 straight basket she made... Tiffany Hayes played well (hopefully 'yarders will STOP attaching "inconsistant" next to her name)
Sorry, DC, but she is inconsistent and most of it has to do with decision making. If and when she brings that under control she will be unstoppable.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Ice can we enjoy what she did "last night"...

you're preaching to the choir with that "inconsistant" rant. We all know that and we're hoping she's movin forward.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Ice...I have never been one of those guys who liked attaching such labels as inconsistent to our players unless they truly deserved it. Yes, Tiffany has good games and bad games but so do all the great players. Tiffany may have had a few more then what we as fans might like...she may have had them at just the wrong time for out taste...but I'd rather focus on her consistencies.

Tiffany is consistently shooting the basketball at 49.4 % (a little better than last year)
She is consistently shooting threes at 34.8 % (about the same as last year)
She is consistently shooting foul shots at 79.3 % (a little better than last year)
She is consistently getting 5.9 rebounds per game (1.3 rebounds better than last year)
She is consistently getting 3.6 assists per game (about the same as last year)
She is consistently getting 2.7 steals per game (1.3 better than last year)
She is consistently scoring 14.4 points per game (about a point better than last year)

Pretty consistent don't you think....?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
What I like about Tiff this year is that she's a) playing really well defensively, b) not settling for bad shots or shots she could get at any point in the shot clock, and c) playing really, really hard even when her shots aren't falling.

And speaking of falling, she's hitting the deck a lot less frequently this season, which is a positive.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Ice...I have never been one of those guys who liked attaching such labels as inconsistent to our players unless they truly deserved it. Yes, Tiffany has good games and bad games but so do all the great players. Tiffany may have had a few more then what we as fans might like...she may have had them at just the wrong time for out taste...but I'd rather focus on her consistencies.

Tiffany is consistently shooting the basketball at 49.4 % (a little better than last year)
She is consistently shooting foul shots at 79.3 % (a little better than last year)
She is consistently getting 5.9 rebounds per game (1.3 rebounds better than last year)
She is consistently scoring 14.4 points per game (about a point better than last year)

Apples and oranges. The criticism has never been overall performance. It has always been about inconsistency game to game, especially against ranked opponents. It's the performance swings that brought on hte criticism.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I guess you missed the point...I acknowledge that she has bad games and that it may be more frequently than we would like...I said "I prefer to concentrate on her consistencies". Hence, it isn't an apples and oranges comparison...it is a preference to concentrate on what she does that is consistent.

As a coach, I know what to expect from Tiffany over the long run. When she isn't hitting her numbers as happens to many players...then others have to step up as is often the case in a team sport. When Tiffany isn't hitting her numbers in one category...as a coach I would expect her to make it up in other areas which she often does. You guys who insist on focusing on the inconsistencies of her play...how about we look at it this way. Name me a team who wouldn't want Tiffany in their starting line-up. Maybe you can come up with one, I can't...remember there are 325 division 1 teams in WCBB. That's consistency...lastly, I believe that Tiffany is going to take her inconsistent game right into the "W" as a first round draft pick...but that is JMHO.

Reaction Score
it seems that tiff is driving to the hoop and actually going around or otherwise avoiding running over a defender. maybe she notice that other lefty on the team, who is very good at going around people, and thought she'd give it a try.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Apples and oranges. The criticism has never been overall performance. It has always been about inconsistency game to game, especially against ranked opponents. It's the performance swings that brought on hte criticism.
I will go further than that and say the issue is most often about her decision making. In this manner I do not disagree with anything cF noted at all. Everything he noted was an affirmative action. Where Tiff gets in trouble for me is in her choices. That results in TOs many nights. She has the most TOs of any player on the team. Significantly more than any perimeter player. When she takes good care of the ball we, generally, have great nights in the TO column.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

this game she played well so I dont understand the reason to jump in a positive thread about a UConn player about what she did in the past.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I will go further than that and say the issue is most often about her decision making. In this manner I do not disagree with anything cF noted at all. Everything he noted was an affirmative action. Where tiff gets in trouble for me is in her choices. That results in TOs many nights. She has the most TOs of any player on the team. Significantly more than any perimeter player. When she takes good care of the ball we, generally, have great nights in the TO column.

Tiffany doesn't have the most turnovers; Bria does (22 vs 13). Tiff's current A/to ratio is about 2:1 which is excellent. Tiff also had a positive A/to ratio last year (139/91).

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Tiffany doesn't have the most turnovers; Bria does (22 vs 13). Tiff's current A/to ratio is about 2:1 which is excellent. Tiff also had a positive A/to ratio last year (139/91).
You are correct I miss read the chart. Her ratio is indeed good and always has been but that does not mean it cannot be better. That is always my quibble with Tiff, she can be as Geno once referred to her, "one of the great ones." It is the small things that keep holding her back.
Often on her most ill conceived drives she does put up a shot which would not create a TO but does lower her shooting % whcih is good but might be great.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
thanks Cat for providing fact... I actually believed his numbers (thinking he did his research before posting)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
thanks Cat for providing fact... I actually believed his numbers (thinking he did his research before posting)
I did do my research, DC, I misread the chart dropping down line line as I scanned all the way across it. Bria is one line above Tiff.

BTW, I had admitted the error and posted it before you even posted.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

For me, it seems that many have expectations for Tiff that she doesn't satisfy. In that sense, it is some one elses problem, not hers. I think she does the best she can at any single moment, and I also think that she is willing to improve performance. That is all she can do.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
This thread seems to have developed into a veritable diarhhea of words accompanied by a simultaneous constipation of thought.

Tiffany is a terrific player who plays her heart out, every game. That's good enough for me.

And Geno.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score

oh she DIDNT have 3 straight basket... she had a few assists to Hartley in between all of that!

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
This thread seems to have developed into a veritable diarhhea of words accompanied by a simultaneous constipation of thought.

Tiffany is a terrific player who plays her heart out, every game. That's good enough for me.

And Geno.

Welcome to the party...

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Tiffany will have the best record in college basketball when her time is done.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tiffany will have the best record in college basketball when her time is done.
That's the key point. I love Maya, but I would like to see Tiff knock her out of the record books on that.

When Tiff plays smart, plays within herself, and does not try to force things, she is very, very good. If she does not force drives, wild shots, or too many threes, we win. 100% of the time.

Nice job last night, Tiff. Keep it up!

Reaction Score
I personally stand by Icebear. The original poster praised Tiffany's game yesterday and made a point that when she penetrated, she was running around people rather than through people as she has been prone to do at times. Most people, Tiffany included, are aware that she has periodically played out of control and had a "bad" game, meaning a bad game for Tiffany. With her athleticism and skills, she has great potential and when she has gotten out of control her performances have been less than stellar. Last year she had a few of those and they seemed more apt to occur against better opposition. Maybe she was pressing too much or thinking too much but it hurt the Huskies, particularly in their two losses. No one wants or wishes anything but great success for her because she's a great girl and a great player and it appears that maybe she has excercised her "demons" and is playing much more level headedly. The fact that Icebear mentioned some shortcomings in previous games is real and valid. Those are in the past and we all just want her to continue playing at the high level she is at the moment. Enough said!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom