Tiffany Hayes??????? | The Boneyard

Tiffany Hayes???????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've been totally amazed at how out of control Tiffany Hayes has been. Isn't she a senior??? I've never seen anyone whose put up such outrageous shots from every conceivable angle and place on the floor. Thankfully we have an outstanding freshman that's keeping us in this game.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Tiff is so talented but can't seem to put it together in big games. It's good that the freshman and Bria are stepping up. Maybe if she doesn't feel she has to do it by herself she will be able to relax and play her game. It's like she is trying to erase both losses last year in one twenty minute half.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Tiff is so talented but can't seem to put it together in big games. It's good that the freshman and Bria are stepping up. Maybe if she doesn't feel she has to do it by herself she will be able to relax and play her game.
God, I hope so. She is way more athletic than anyone Stanford has guarding her. She just isn't finishing from anywhere on the floor. Her energy on D has been terrific, but we left a lot of points on the floor in the first half.

Reaction Score
I've been totally amazed at how out of control Tiffany Hayes has been. Isn't she a senior??? I've never seen anyone whose put up such outrageous shots from every conceivable angle and place on the floor. Thankfully we have an outstanding freshman that's keeping us in this game.
ARGGGGGGG!!!! watching her is painful tonight. It seems everytime she has the ball she wants to shoot She has taken 8 shots and missed all 8!!!!!!!!!!!! And missed two free throws. She was going in and taking shots without trying to look for an open man or even take aim... it looks like she is just shooting!!!! GOD. I wish Geno had sat her in the first half to teach her it is not the Tiffany Hayes team.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Tiff is so talented but can't seem to put it together in big games. It's good that the freshman and Bria are stepping up. Maybe if she doesn't feel she has to do it by herself she will be able to relax and play her game. It's like she is trying to erase both losses last year in one twenty minute half.

Amen. Tiff made a lot of poor choices throughout the half -- too often trying to drive through an army of big trees. You have to shoot over them, Tiff, not run through them.

Reaction Score
Tiff has zero basketball IQ. We've seen her act for 4 years and it hasn't changed. She jacks up crazy shots that aren't in the flow of the offense all the time. Totally out of control. Oh well hopefully the freshmen will step up so Tiff spends most of her time on the bench.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score

Have you seen Hayden from Baylor? Exactly the same.

Reaction Score
Hayes bounced back nicely in the 2nd half. That's being a senior captain right there.

She finished with 13 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, 1 block and just 1 turnover to go along with the 9 points. She shot the ball horribly, but unlike past years it's nice to see that didn't affect the rest of her game.

Reaction Score
I thought she had a very good game overall. He shooting was not very good, missed a lot of layups, but so did Stef and a few others. Foul shots were not good either but then again the whole team was bad from the line. He defence was great the whole game. she passed the ball and rebounded very well. I don't get why some here must single her out for having an off night shooting the ball when others get a pass for not even hitting the rim. GREAT JOB TIFF!!!

Reaction Score
TH couldn't hit anything in the first half, but neither could CD or KF. Looked like last year; everybody looking around to see what Maya Moore KML was doing. But they finally got their games going in the 2nd half. Hartley played well and so did Dolson in my opinion. But without KML we wouldn't be celebrating anything tonight.

Reaction Score
Hayes bounced back nicely in the 2nd half. That's being a senior captain right there.

She finished with 13 rebounds, 6 assists, 3 steals, 1 block and just 1 turnover to go along with the 9 points. She shot the ball horribly, but unlike past years it's nice to see that didn't affect the rest of her game.

Tiff struggled to score but kept on having at it and came ups with 13 rebounds let alone the assists and steals, it showed that she kept her head in the game and that is a good omen, so all of you lighten up on her.

Reaction Score
I'm quite pleased that she played substantially better as the game progressed. The fact that she stopped or radically slowed her shooting was a big plus. As has been mentioned, it's nice that she filled the score sheets in other areas, though her early bombing could have put us in a horrible hole, had it not been for the stellar defense by everybody, particularly Steffie

C

crownfox2

There has been no refinement to TH's game since she's been at Uconn. Considering the coaching available to her and the dominant player she was in high school Tiff hasn't blossomed as expected.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Tiff was a little out of control on the offensive end, trying a little too hard per CD (and me), but she pulled down 13 rebounds. That ain't shabby.

Reaction Score
Hayes played horrible the first half but she had about 8 rebounds in the first half if your shots aren't falling do other things and thats exactly what she was doing .. see ended with 9 pts 13 REBOUNDS and 6 assists thats a good stat

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
13 boards and 8 assists obviously don't please you guys. I guess if she DID have some refinement and basketball IQ, she would have made more of her open threes. Sheesh!

RE: refinement, it's a completely fair criticism! And you're also right: she also gave a tremendous effort tonight, on the boards, with assists, working hard (as always).

Both are true points. Her offensive game is not a lot different than it always has been, but she busts her butt every second, and some nights that results in huge stats like tonight.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I got the distinct impression that the game plan was based on the scouting report (DOH!) and I suspect that Tiffany was urged to drive to the hoop aggressively and often to: (1) take advantage of her speed vs. slower Stanford guards); get to the basket and score if possible; and (3) draw fouls, especially oneither of the Ogumike sisters.

If my suspicions/deductions are correct, Tiffany went hard and fast to the basket often, especially in the first half And wasn't it nice to see Nneka sit out the last ten minutes or so of the first half with two fouls?

The shots weren't falling for Tiff tonight, but she has started for two NC teams, she is a co-captain, she is relentless on defense and she will have her share of great games before she graduates. I think she is wonderful and I am glad she is on our side.

And anyone who thinks otherwise is just an old poop.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I thought Tiff did Ok. My only real complaint was the wild shots when she got inside. She needs to use her right hand and get under control better. Better FT shooting would help too--from all.

Unlike past years, Tiff did not get down on herself, and she kept working. She got rebounds and assists and played defense. If she has made a couple of layups and one more trey, we would be raving about her game.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
most of the criticisms of Tiff have been fair. however, on the positive side, her shots were not falling but she was still working hard on every other aspect - defense, dishing assists, etc. she did not get down on herself and instead worked hard to do things she was capable of doing.

having said that, as a senior, she seems to play out of control at times, and seems to think she is needed to take the game over, and unfortunately, she's not consistent enough to do that. she needs to play more within the offense and, like Kelly, do what she's good at. some say her 3-pointers were not bad shots. well she took many of them close to 2 feet beyond the arc. no matter how you slice that, it's a low % shot unless you are KML.

the other thing i'm disappointed about are her drives to the basket. she drives to the right and makes the degree of difficulty attempt an 8 instead of a 3 as she goes up with her left hand. she either needs to stay on the left side of the court, or stop with those ridiculous drives from the right side. that an elite level athlete who has been at UCONN for 3+ years to still be unable to make a layup with her off hand when it makes the play substantially easier is incomprehensible.

Reaction Score
I enjoy watching the players with basketball skills for sure but over the past several years where I have become a regular fan reading Boneyard commentaries and learning how to appreciate much more that goes into being a UConn player I have come to admire many of the girls as they mature and grow into responsible individuals. Tiffiany seems to have had on and off shooting days where one game she rocks the house making 30 points and then struggles to reach 10 points the next game. And asit has been pointed out by some she was easily discouraged when she was younger and sulked quietly almost not participating during those times. But tonight she had a more adult attitude where she got rebounds since she couldn't make a shot and then she added assists and a steal or two. I feel sorry that she struggled tonight with her shooting but I'm delighted to see her contributing where she can. It is like when conditions change we need to get creative and do other things we can do to help the team. Geno sees this and likes the game she played tonight. Maybe she learned more searching for ways to help the team when her shot disappeared. Maybe she is maturing before our eyes. I think so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom