Tierney Lawlor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tierney Lawlor

Status
Not open for further replies.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think it was both a lighthearted statement and a compliment from her teammate, who is the best shooter in the country. Who better to be able to identify a great shooter?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Her game performance makes me remember the comment made about her way back at the start of practices when someone, maybe Geno, said that the Lawler kid doesn't miss. Well, on that one late last shot of the game, ITS TRUE.

Scroll to film. UCONN in a fight for its life in the NCAA final against ND is down two with 8 seconds to play when Geno sends out Stef, KML, Stewie, Bria and TLaw. Stewie inbounds to Stef at the top of the key who bluffs to Bria and hits KML at the left hand elbow and the entire D shifts toward KML who immediately against the grain crosses the court to the far corner and the kid no one is watching. TLaw quietly catches the ball with her feet on the 3 point line no one within 10 feet of her and she calmly steps back and drains it nothing but net as the clock runs out for UCONN's ninth NC. The wailing in Knoxville and South Bend begins. It's all in accordance to TLaw.

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Her game performance makes me remember the comment made about her way back at the start of practices when someone, maybe Geno, said that the Lawler kid doesn't miss. Well, on that one late last shot of the game, ITS TRUE.

Scroll to film. UCONN in a fight for its life in the NCAA final against ND is down two with 8 seconds to play when Geno sends out Stef, KML, Stewie, Bria and TLaw. Stewie inbounds to Stef at the top of the key who bluffs to Bria and hits KML at the left hand elbow and the entire D shifts toward KML who immediately against the grain crosses the court to the far corner and the kid no one is watching. TLaw quietly catches the ball with her feet on the 3 point line no one within 10 feet of her and she calmly steps back and drains it nothing but net as the clock runs out for UCONN's ninth NC. The wailing in Knoxville and South Bend begins. It's all in accordance to TLaw.

Then ND fans will be saying "I fought TLaw and...TLaw won"

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
I'm sure it was unintentional, but by Geno's comment at the end of this (highly and deservedly complimentary) article -- "She tries really hard to do the right thing" -- he "damned her with faint praise."

To do this is an art form for people whose opinions of others is (publicly) sought.

Another example. Somebody prominent said of another: "His modesty is certainly justified." [OUCH!]

Not to quibble, Kib, but I think he did mean it as a compliment. To Geno, always working hard and always trying to get it right are very important. Sometimes in the SNY shows, he makes it clear that not everyone is trying as hard they should be (in his opinion).
I think he really respects TLaw. JMO.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Yes, TLaw brought her traditional end of the game 3 with her today.
Problem with this though is now other teams know UConn's game plan and will make the adjustments to stop it and set up accordingly from the start waiting to spring the "Stop TLaw" defensive attack. True, mass destruction will have gone on during the other 39:50 of the game, but stopping one of the Huskies' main weapons will be at least a step in the right direction.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Not to quibble, Kib, but I think he did mean it as a compliment. To Geno, always working hard and always trying to get it right are very important. Sometimes in the SNY shows, he makes it clear that not everyone is trying as hard they should be (in his opinion).
I think he really respects TLaw. JMO.

I agree with you but his choice of words (as I noted: unintentional!) was IMO unfortunate, especially given his aptitude for sarcasm.

I recall reading about a concert pianist of some repute inviting a renowned virtuso to a recital, at which he simply butchered a major work (like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata). Afterward, in the Green Room reception, the performing pianist asked the virtuoso for his opinion of the recital, especially that one big piece. The distinguished guest rose to the occasion by telling the pianist, "In all my years, I have never heard such an original interpretation of [that piece]."

That rates:rolleyes:;):D:rolleyes:

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I agree with you but his choice of words (unintentional!) was IMO unfortunate, especially given his aptitude for sarcasm.

I recall reading about a concert pianist of some repute inviting a renowned virtuso to a recital, at which he simply butchered a major work (like Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata). Afterward, in the Green Room reception, the performing pianist asked the virtuoso for his opinion of the recital, especially that one big piece. The distiguished guest rose to the occasion by telling the pianist, "In all my years, I have never heard such an original interpretation of [that piece]."

That rates:rolleyes:;):D:rolleyes:

I agree, FWIW. I winced when I read that quote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom