Tierney Lawlor Wants to be a Farmer | The Boneyard

Tierney Lawlor Wants to be a Farmer

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
They also process chickens; brutal business. I can see Tierney in the middle of the night "pulling" a calf and bottle feeding. I hope she gets a really memorable Sr Night send-off.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
You can do it Tierney. I am a farmer. I love my work. Handling the animals through processing is done humanely. All animals, including us humans, will someday die.

Wasn't meant to be critical (PETA noise). Meant brutal on the processors. A daughter participated.

Reaction Score
You can do it Tierney. I am a farmer. I love my work. Handling the animals through processing is done humanely. All animals, including us humans, will someday die.

she'd be a great employee...........just think of all the stories she could tell you

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Maybe she will have one of these
Farm Backboard.jpg

Reaction Score
She didn't "end up" feeding chickens. That program is demanding and it actually is more demanding then many because of the requirements to be hands-on. Did you know the Head of the Animals Science Department - Dr. Steven Zinn is the current President of the National Animal Science Association? The students and faculty at nationally and Internationally known - it is not "ending up" in that major - it is a grueling and demanding program. Dr Zinn is Tierney's advisor.

Reaction Score
They also process chickens; brutal business. I can see Tierney in the middle of the night "pulling" a calf and bottle feeding. I hope she gets a really memorable Sr Night send-off.

Here in Virginia--Chickens and turkeys are raised by the billions Yes with a B. So much so the Va Tech's mascot is a turkey and the local HS sports team is known as the gobblers.
Raising chickens is dirty, smelly, nasty work---up at dawn in bed very late. Profits not so great--
many of my neighboring farms are doing chickens---a quarter mile from my home is one--every once in a while a country smell comes thru the air --and my eyes water.
I wanted to be a farmer, still raise over 1/2 acre of veggies, etc and many fruit trees---I wanted to be a farmer until I found out it was work, lots of work, lots of dirty work--sick animals, sick plants, sick trees--bugs of every kind. ---I just love farming--in the grocery store.
I lived on an old time farm as a kid--shoveling out stalls, hand milking, feeding---no vacations--the animals come first. If you are a big time super farm manager--maybe that's good.

Reaction Score
Many years ago a big flap about killing animals humanely. At the time it was in-humane to kill animals with a sledge hammer. I visited while I worked at Uconn the facility where cows and pigs were killed--they did it , supposedly, humanely--they used a pneumatic hammer--and hit them where others where hitting them with a hammer--I never saw the difference--dead is dead, does it matter how you get there?? If you want meat's you must kill animals.
Bought some great meats from that facility .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Loved this post! People have no idea what it takes to be a farmer. You need husbandry or agriculture skills or both, but you also need to be a marketer, an astute businessman, have a working knowledge of zoning, local politics and lobbying. I'm not surprised to hear that you love it. It is an incredibly challenging career, that is not for the faint of heart. The 'farmers' that I know are all astute business people with broad range of skills and knowledge and all genuinely great people.

Reaction Score
She didn't "end up" feeding chickens. That program is demanding and it actually is more demanding then many because of the requirements to be hands-on. Did you know the Head of the Animals Science Department - Dr. Steven Zinn is the current President of the National Animal Science Association? The students and faculty at nationally and Internationally known - it is not "ending up" in that major - it is a grueling and demanding program. Dr Zinn is Tierney's advisor.

no insult intended............just liked the sound of that phrase............I love chicken

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Here in Virginia--Chickens and turkeys are raised by the billions Yes with a B. So much so the Va Tech's mascot is a turkey and the local HS sports team is known as the gobblers.
Raising chickens is dirty, smelly, nasty work---up at dawn in bed very late. Profits not so great--
many of my neighboring farms are doing chickens---a quarter mile from my home is one--every once in a while a country smell comes thru the air --and my eyes water.
I wanted to be a farmer, still raise over 1/2 acre of veggies, etc and many fruit trees---I wanted to be a farmer until I found out it was work, lots of work, lots of dirty work--sick animals, sick plants, sick trees--bugs of every kind. ---I just love farming--in the grocery store.
I lived on an old time farm as a kid--shoveling out stalls, hand milking, feeding---no vacations--the animals come first. If you are a big time super farm manager--maybe that's good.
I look at farmers in amazement. As a city boy, an old city boy, over the years I've come to realize the amount of work needed just to keep your head above water. It's noble work, I'm glad that Tierney loves it and that it's kind of the the family business. I still say though this young lady would make a great BB coach.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Geno said last night that he is always on the lookout to purchase a farm so he can have her run it for him.

There's real good farm land where I live outside of Ann Arbor.

And while Geno is out here inspecting his estates, he can rekindle a relationship with Kim Barnes-Arico, muse about their Big East rivalry from the days when she was at St. Johns, and schedule some UConn-Michigan games. Makes sense now that the Wolverines are ranked again!

Well, I am allowed to day dream, aren't I? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
UConn Animal Science graduate here. Worked for the USDA for a while and then the State and somehow ended up teaching middle school science!
One of the most difficult things about farming is getting into it without a family farm to inherit. The cost of acquiring land and equipment makes it all but impossible to start without another source of income. IME, chickens, and especially egg farming were quite different and highly mechanized compared to other livestock operations. High volume operations only appealed to a few. After experiencing a cage layer operation, I henceforth only bought cage-free, mostly local farm eggs for humane reasons.
I have been in slaughterhouses that used captive bolt to kill and I was satisfied that it was humane. Only other bad experience was seeing how milk-fed veal calves were treated - wont eat that either!
TLaw's interest seems to be in sustainable farming. It would be interesting to see what methods she would use. And maybe she can be an assistant coach somewhere while her farm gets going!

Reaction Score
I like TLaw and all, but deciding to be a farmer in CT??? She must know that farms and CT are not exactly synonymous.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I grew up on a chicken farm until age 18. Back then, all the chickens were not caged but walked around freely in pens. Very few kids today want that hard lifestyle. I am rooting for Tierney.

Reaction Score
I like TLaw and all, but deciding to be a farmer in CT??? She must know that farms and CT are not exactly synonymous.

From the article I just posted: She needs to focus in order to manage her frantic college life. She has an individualized major: sustainable farm and ranch management. Lawlor's career goal is to operate her own farm, preferably outside Connecticut.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom