Tiering D1 Teams | The Boneyard

Tiering D1 Teams

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
FSU and Temple should be swapped. Also, how the heck are Miami of Ohio and Dayton listed in the same tier?

Reaction Score
Lots of really really really bad placements here. Almost as if the guy didn’t watch college basketball at all, but apparently he has a job doing it. If I saw this list, I certainly wouldn’t hire him for any college basketball position...

Reaction Score
whats the selection criteria? the P5, the BE, a few aac schools, a couple ivies, some random mid majors like charleston and pepperdine??

how the heck is New Mexico St in tier 4? that one jumped out at me

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would move UConn, Michigan St, and Indiana into a Tier 1.5. It’s just not right that they put them into the same category with Arkansas, Ohio St, Florida, or Cincy. Also, Is Cal, Wake Forest, and Iowa really that more solid than Seton Hall or Providence??

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
whats the selection criteria? the P5, the BE, a few aac schools, a couple ivies, some random mid majors like charleston and pepperdine??

how the heck is New Mexico St in tier 4? that one jumped out at me

All I could figure was that it is an ACC guy doing it since they start with those schools in each category.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Putting any one-time champion in Tier 2 ruins that tier. Buh bye 'cuse, Gtown, 'Zona, Virginia, Buckeyes, Arkansas.

I would go so far as to say Tier 2 should be 3x Champs, or 10 or more FF to be in that category- IU, UConn, Nova, MSU, Louisville.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Putting any one-time champion in Tier 2 ruins that tier. Buh bye 'cuse, Gtown, 'Zona, Virginia, Buckeyes, Arkansas.

I would go so far as to say Tier 2 should be 3x Champs, or 10 or more FF to be in that category- IU, UConn, Nova, MSU, Louisville.

That's interesting - I hadn't thought about being that "strict" but it is a good way to separate UConn.

These questions are always interesting because you necessarily have to take into account history but also recent history. UCLA has stunk for 15 years more or less, had a few F4s and titles 25 years ago but otherwise they're like Indiana. Yet they sort of have to be tier 1 still.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If Arkansas is higher than Gonzaga after the last 20 years, then I'm watching the wrong sport.

Historically Arkansas is a much better program and it's not even close. They've actually won a championship, and have been to six FF's. Gonzaga has one FF as its resume's lead off bullet.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Historically Arkansas is a much better program and it's not even close. They've actually won a championship, and have been to six FF's. Gonzaga has one FF as its resume's lead off bullet.

Totally true, but that's where weighing program significance historically vs. the last 20 years is important.

I mean, Gonzaga is a top 5-10 program in the last 20 years, I'd say. Arkansas hasn't existed since 1994. That's quite awhile ago.

But I totally agree, it's not as straightforward as I made it seem, which is why I said "the last 20 years."

Overall, right now making a list in 2020, I'm not putting Arkansas in tier 2 with those other schools. I think that's way too generous.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
That's interesting - I hadn't thought about being that "strict" but it is a good way to separate UConn.

These questions are always interesting because you necessarily have to take into account history but also recent history. UCLA has stunk for 15 years more or less, had a few F4s and titles 25 years ago but otherwise they're like Indiana. Yet they sort of have to be tier 1 still.

UCLA is the ultimate "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the rest of the play?" program. Outside of a 15 year run, they are nothing special. But that 12 year run is the greatest run college history.

Outside of the golden years run you have:

One championship- 1995. (Moment of silence and mandatory JC saying UCLA was only team who could beat next year and Tyus Edny layup, blah, blah, blah)
Four FF's- 1980, 2006, 2007, 2008

One Championship and 4 FF's alone makes them a Tier 2 program.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
UCLA is the ultimate "Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the rest of the play?" program. Outside of a 15 year run, they are nothing special. But that 12 year run is the greatest run college history.

Well, they did have a run in the mid 2000s and the mid 90s, but yes agreed.

Also, I feel like they somewhat stay "relevant" even when they're bad. That's a part of it too. Arkansas basketball really has never registered nationally since the 90s.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yale would be Tier 1 in football. Point being, these lists are useless.

If you were doing a comprehensive list of college football programs throughout the history of college football, absolutely.

The problem with the list is it's a mash up of historically great programs and current programs who are really good but haven't done nearly as much.

Reaction Score
if it's right now then wouldnt iowa and wisconsin have to be tier 1 since theyre both top 5 preseason teams?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom