Tidbit from Pregame Press Conference | The Boneyard

Tidbit from Pregame Press Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno says "Great teams don't lose on senior night"

Sorry, that simply isn't true. In fact, senior night is often a distraction. I would point you to the UConn men's Championship team in 1999. They lost only a SINGLE GAME when at full strength. At home, to Miami, on senior day.

So, neat theory, doesn't work in real life. Maybe for the best program in the country that often times doesn't lose ANY games, regardless whether they're on senior day or not. But for teams of mortals, that idea doesn't hold up.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I'm shocked, SHOCKED that Geno could be so profoundly wrong. We're DOOOOOOMED!

Reaction Score
sounds like a "they just wait tables in better restaurants" distraction to me ;)

Reaction Score
I suspect that is another motivation tool to keep this team grounded and to remind his players never to take anything for granted.

Reaction Score
Geno says "Great teams don't lose on senior night"

Sorry, that simply isn't true. In fact, senior night is often a distraction. I would point you to the UConn men's Championship team in 1999. They lost only a SINGLE GAME when at full strength. At home, to Miami, on senior day.

So, neat theory, doesn't work in real life. Maybe for the best program in the country that often times doesn't lose ANY games, regardless whether they're on senior day or not. But for teams of mortals, that idea doesn't hold up.

BINGO....you nailed it on the head...and proved Geno's point in the process...great teams are NOT bothered by ANY distractions...they win no matter what the circumstances...hence Geno's quote about losing on Senior Night...meant simply to remind his team about taking another team for granted, taking the night off, not staying focused at the task at hand, and being bothered by distractions (aka playing former teammate)!!!

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Historically great teams don't lose on senior night. Very good ones, however, may learn from the loss and go on to contend for a national championship.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Historically great teams don't lose on senior night. Very good ones, however, may learn from the loss and go on to contend for a national championship.
That's the difference--great vs. very good. Great teams overcome the distractions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom