Ticket Information

Discussion in 'Ticket Exchange' started by minidarren, Mar 23, 2014.

1. sanchez42885

sanchez42885

Yeah there is no way to please everyone with such a limited allotment. Even if they got 2,000 tickets and sold one per person you'd still have some angry season ticket holders left.

2. Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler

Hey - this doesn't concern me. I bought my football tickets months ago. When the pledge card comes, I'll do what I usually do. The football program isn't going anywhere but back up. I'm just giving feedback, and it's not good.

When your UConn season ticket holder friends for basketball are telling you that they aren't going to renew next year, after they've had tickets for 20+ years.....you better hope you got some new blood to go after.

3. chewy

chewy

So, anybody who donated 50k and above was able to order a maximum of 6.
    Anybody who donated 10000 - 49999 was able to order a maximum of 4.
    5000 - 9999 was able to order a maximum of 2 (and who knows if they all even got tickets?)

Anybody under 5k had zero chance. I know there were limited number of tickets available, but that's a tough pill to swallow if I'm donating that much. Do you go with the fairest approach (2 tickets per until they are gone, feed the big fish first)...or the smartest in terms of long term donations (feed the big fish the most).

Glad I didn't have to make that choice...

Donor Category
    Maximum # of Tickets

Hall of Fame and Legend
    Champion and All-American
    MVP, Golden Husky, Director, Coach, Assistant Coach, and Captain

DONOR LEVELANNUAL GIFT AMOUNT
    HALL OF FAME$100,000 and above
    LEGEND$50,000 to $99,999
    CHAMPION$25,000 to $49,999
    ALL AMERICAN$10,000 to $24,999
    MVP$5,000 to $9,999
    GOLDEN HUSKY$2,500 to $4,999
    DIRECTOR$1,000 to $2,499
    COACH$500 to $999
    ASSISTANT COACH$250 to $499
    CAPTAIN$100 to $249

4. WestHartHusk

WestHartHusk $3M a Year With March Off

What exactly is the school supposed to do? The alternative is that you give someone that donates $150K 2 tickets and someone who donates $4k 2 tickets...that $150k fan will also be pissed and maybe reduce donations by $148k versus some people donating $4k less. I know this is a tough pill, but people should be buying season tickets for the enjoyment of the season and donating because they care about the school. If they donate that much money what is an extra couple of $100 on the secondary market?

I also think that this experience could be a motivation for some people to increase (or at least maintain) their donations. And I'm sure the school will try to make those donors whole with some football/hockey tickets or something.

BleedHuskyBlu and zls44 like this.
  5. beerfan

beerfan

Perhaps they can mix in a "total points" group with the high donors for post season tickets rankings. The guy who has been donating $4k for 25 years should at least get a better chance to get tickets over someone who is a first time $10,000 a year donor. The long time mid-level donor is getting the shaft here.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  6. Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just providing feedback, and it's real, and I think it's important, because I was surprised to hear it. Surprised at first, then I remembered what I experienced from the ticket office in the days following Dave Teggart's kick against USF in 2010.

There is no easy solution, but business as usual, is certainly doomed to fail, I can tell you that.

7. huskymedic

huskymedic

Read on another thread that 1250 tickets (500 required w/ option for another 750) was all that could be aquired by the school.

edit add link to NCAA policy: http://the-boneyard.com/threads/new...-based-on-s16-ticket-sales.55743/#post-895003

8. Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler

You would think that in theory, somebody that's donated $100k over 25 years and been a season ticket holder all those years, would have ordering priority over somebody that's donated $10,000 once. It seems that basketball tickets are still being sold with the model of points that Lew Perkins came up with in the early 90s.

I honestly don't know. Oh well.

I'm happy for the basketball program - the pieces are in place - Madison Square Garden on a Friday night. Got to go out on the floor and get it done.

9. zls44

zls44 Your #icebus Tour Director

It never is.

gars44 likes this.
  10. UConn '89 "98

UConn '89 "98

I would think that distributing tickets by priority points would be a fairer way to go about it. Should reward the long-term contributor.

11. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

Seriously, stop it. What's the reason for somebody to privately donate $25k a year if they only get to purchase the number of tickets that you do?

This is what it is. There is no way for them to do this to make everyone happy. They are trying to maximize support and you don't have nearly enough information to know that they are not proceeding in a rational manner.

WestHartHusk and FDNY99 like this.
  12. Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler

I agree. I'm not sure why they don't set up basketball post season ticket ordering windows by priority points, other than probably the same people that were there in Storrs managing this stuff, were probably the same people there in December 2010. The priority point system, as it's been explained to me before, is set up exactly to reward everyone equally and proportionally from large money donors, to long time small money donors equally, to favoring current season ticket holders and current donors over lapsed donors and non-season ticket holder. It's obvious that when supply is far below demand for tickets, that people will be left out. You just want it to be fair so that nobody feels like they are being screwed. That wasn't the case today. Especially for long time season ticket holders, that are mid-level donors.

What they said (or wrote), from what I saw today, is that they planned to allocate seat location by priority points, but broke up the ordering by category of donor annual dollar amount giving only. Nothing about duration of giving, or if you're an actual current season ticket holder or not. I think that should be priority #1 actually - the people that actually paid for season tickets should be priority #1 for any post season event. I'm not sure if that's even the case.

Whatever, don't want this to be a negative energy fest, but I do think there will be repercussions from this - especially from that mid-level, long time donor and season ticket buyer demographic for basketball. The conference changes, no more Big East tournament at MSG, and this team getting itself to MSG for a sweet 16 for the east regional at MSG - is probably a kind of a perfect storm - and if it exposes things that can get better for the university - that's fine by me. The ticket selling policies and department management forked us over with their ineptitude around football in December 2010.

I won't write anymore after this - but man - as pissed as some people were that I know, there are probably more. I felt like something needed to be said.

13. Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler

Why don't you try offering a solution rather than attack me. I did. Can you answer rationally why the ticket ordering windows laid out for this event were by annual dollar amount given in the past year, rather than by total priority points accumulated?

I'm not even a basketball guy. Sheesh. I'll be watching from home, where I planned to watch from.

14. businesslawyer

businesslawyer

Sure. Because you want to please those people who are going to write you a big check in the future more than you want to please those who have loyally written you small checks in the past.

The allocation for this event is ridiculously small and the school is doing the best it can to maximize revenue from it. By way of comparison, when we played in the Western Regional in '11, I (for my small donation based on my two football seats) had no trouble buying two tickets for some friends in San Diego. But that was for a game 2500 miles away. Not for one at the end of the Metronorth line.

WestHartHusk and FDNY99 like this.
  15. FDNY99

FDNY99

Anybody call Iowa St, UVA or Mich St and try to buy a package of tickets through them? If you want to go it may not be a bad idea...especially Iowa St & Mich St.

16. methodology

methodology

UVA sold out instantly like UConn according to an associate who is an alumni

17. BertMacklin

BertMacklin New Member

18. FDNY99

FDNY99

Not surprised....UVA is within reasonable driving distance.

19. gampelcrazies

gampelcrazies

20. UConnDad

UConnDad

Anyone know how many student tix are available?

21. Carl Spackler

Carl Spackler

Maximizing revenue? BS. It's the same old guard, using the same old systems and no forethought or thinking. Small time thinking that costs big time in the long run. The vast majority of donors fall between the 1,000-10,000 a year range. Half of those, give the same amounts regularly for years and years, buy tickets year in and year out, and got cut out of ordering tickets today and are wondering why they give so much money.

They should have been doing post season ticket window ordering by current season ticket holder status #1, current year donor status #2, and priority points after that. It's not rocket science, you got beaurocracy in place in Storrs that's not completely cleaned out yet.

22. WestHartHusk

WestHartHusk $3M a Year With March Off

23. husky8273

husky8273

post season tickets have always been distributed by current year donation level, not by priority points