Three years after stroke, Eli Thomas closing college football career on own terms (Star Gazette) | The Boneyard

Three years after stroke, Eli Thomas closing college football career on own terms (Star Gazette)

Reaction Score
Great read…

-> He returned to Storrs in early 2019 and was hoping to play football again for the Huskies but was denied medical clearance from the university. He was still chosen a team captain for the season. As he was finishing out a degree in agriculture resource economics, Thomas put his name in the transfer portal with hopes to play again.

He said Syracuse and the University at Buffalo were among schools that expressed interest, along with Sacred Heart, Rhode Island and Hampton. No offers came. "Everybody was just scared," Thomas said. "When I put film out there everybody was hitting me up, but when they found out about the stroke they stopped hitting me up."

He didn't take things personally. Thomas still roots for UConn and texts former teammates on game days. When Randy Edsall, Thomas' head coach with the Huskies, retired earlier this year, Thomas texted him, "Good luck and I love you."

Minnesota State, which has appeared in the Division II playoffs all but one season since 2012 and was national runner-up in 2014 and 2019, came through with a partial scholarship offer, the norm in Division II. Thomas didn't need to make the trip to Mankato to accept.<-

-> "I just take things day by day, like literally," he said. "What happened yesterday happened yesterday. I don’t really look too far into the future. And also I know it’s a fact that somebody else has it way worse than me. With the ACLs and the stroke, somebody is living worse.

"I don’t have it that bad. I don’t have it bad at all. I couldn’t control any of it anyway, so why would I get mad or upset about it? Control what you can control and just live day by day. That’s what I live on." <-

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
I couldn't love this any more. Damn...when I read that story in September it made me so emotional. He embodies everything we could want in a Husky. Amazing young man.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom