Three Takeaways – Iona Edition | The Boneyard

Three Takeaways – Iona Edition

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
No. 1: Hurley has called Akok something to the effect of a "culture builder," talking about his enthusiasm and team-oriented approach to literally everything, and man it was on display tonight during that big run to start the 2nd half:
  • Akok missed a 12-footer, but Carlton followed it up by tipping-home the rebound and-1. Akok celebrated like he'd scored the bucket.
  • A little bit later we rushed a shot and Iona tried for a run-out, but Akok intercepted the pass.
  • On the next possession after another rushed shot they tried for a run-out, but Akok blocked the lay-up.
I love this kid, and am rooting so hard for him. He has a chance to be a special player – he already is defensively to be honest – but he plays in a way that makes you believe he's a special kid. If there's any justice we will win big with him for three years and then he will become a millionaire.

Definitely want to see him running the baseline and caching drop-down passes and lobs a little bit more in the games to come.

No. 2: We played a great first four minutes, a great first 10 minutes of the second half, and a great 34th-through-38th minutes. That adds up to just about half a game.

Another way of putting it is that our bench stunk. Whaley got pushed around, Adams looked like last year's version of himself, Bouk and Gaff were definitely freshmen and Sid was Sid. Going to need much better from them to get past Indiana.

That said, Bouk's missed dunk was maybe the moment of the night. My heart was in my throat.

No. 3: That was a man's performance from Carlton, and I kind of want to thank Agee (who was awesome) for waking him up with a little bit of showboating.

How do we bottle that version of Josh and get it for 30 nights a year? I'd kill for that recipe.

EDIT: I will add this: All our bad moments from this game past the 10-minute mark came from sloppiness with the ball. And when we were dominating them, it was because we were dominating them on the glass.

Reaction Score
Good to see Josh perform like that against a decent player (Agee). He now knows he can do it!

pj

Reaction Score
Agreed, I was very impressed by Akok. All positive plays, no negatives. Long arms and uses them to good effect. Highly coordinated. Makes positive things happen. As he gets more game experience he's going to mature into a monster.

ElmCity40th

F…y’all talkin bout?
Reaction Score
What year is Agee,has a nice skilled/tough game. Too bad he has to play the 5.

Reaction Score
I am thrilled with the win. Iona is a decent team who will likely win their league and give some 2 seed fits in March (remember they led UNC 38-33 at the half last year as a 16).

Carlton looked awesome tonight. I don't care how many points he has, as long as we can just get a double-double from him each game or at least near it, maybe with a few assists, perhaps a block, I will be more than happy.

Onto Indiana @ MSG who will present a steep challenge.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
No. 1: Hurley has called Akok something to the effect of a "culture builder," talking about his enthusiasm and team-oriented approach to literally everything, and man it was on display tonight during that big run to start the 2nd half:
  • Akok missed a 12-footer, but Carlton followed it up by tipping-home the rebound and-1. Akok celebrated like he'd scored the bucket.
  • A little bit later we rushed a shot and Iona tried for a run-out, but Akok intercepted the pass.
  • On the next possession after another rushed shot they tried for a run-out, but Akok blocked the lay-up.
I love this kid, and am rooting so hard for him. He has a chance to be a special player – he already is defensively to be honest – but he plays in a way that makes you believe he's a special kid. If there's any justice we will win big with him for three years and then he will become a millionaire.

Definitely want to see him running the baseline and caching drop-down passes and lobs a little bit more in the games to come.

No. 2: We played a great first four minutes, a great first 10 minutes of the second half, and a great 34th-through-38th minutes. That adds up to just about half a game.

Another way of putting it is that our bench stunk. Whaley got pushed around, Adams looked like last year's version of himself, Bouk and Gaff were definitely freshmen and Sid was Sid. Going to need much better from them to get past Indiana.

That said, Bouk's missed dunk was maybe the moment of the night. My heart was in my throat.

No. 3: That was a man's performance from Carlton, and I kind of want to thank Agee (who was awesome) for waking him up with a little bit of showboating.

How do we bottle that version of Josh and get it for 30 nights a year? I'd kill for that recipe.

EDIT: I will add this: All our bad moments from this game past the 10-minute mark came from sloppiness with the ball. And when we were dominating them, it was because we were dominating them on the glass.

Really evident when I was in Charleston just how fast Akok is. And how quickly he turns from offense to defense. He crashes the offensive boards and still beats everyone back on D. At his length and with his shot blocking ability he is a one man fast break preventer. His effort and team first game are amazing.

For all we talk about how great Bouk looks as a freshman, Akok is out there most of the game. Once his confidence on the offensive end goes up, he will be one of the best players in the country.

Reaction Score
Akok always seems, to me anyway, to turn and distribute quick and push us up the court. If we could turn that into fast breaks and finish, it sure would bring back some great memories. Otherwise, that kid has so much enthusiasm and heart it is awesome. I can't wait to see what is in store for us from him.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Akok has tremendous court awareness for his age and that can be seen in his passing ability which I consider to be the best on the team. I wish he was involved in the offense more but by next year he is going to be special

Reaction Score
Akok is certainly a better rebounder than Polley as he just snags the ball when in doubt though being skinny. If we can run all our half-court sets through Carlton we will have a good chance to score. Until Bouknight gets totally comfortable with taking men off he bounce we need to keep feeding Carlton the ball in the half-court as good things seem to happen when we do.

Reaction Score
Akok has tremendous court awareness for his age and that can be seen in his passing ability which I consider to be the best on the team. I wish he was involved in the offense more but by next year he is going to be special
Since we are on the Akok train, he grabs some congested rebounds higher than I remember seeing...their up there.

Reaction Score

Akok is awesome, stats don't tell the story with him at all. We still don't even know how to use him yet and he already effects everything we do. The shot rolled off the rim but I want him getting that ball just inside the ft line a lot and rising up. He gets so damn high nobody will block it and he has a really nice release.

My guess is we don't get him for three years, if we do holy cr@p. Look out next year, look out for later this year.

Bouk took off a step inside the ft line and cocked it back. Based on his rise I think he would've gotten there. We haven't had too many players who would even attempt that. Jackson, Bouknight and Akok on the break next season is basically the basketball version of having Carl Lewis, Mike Powell, and Mike Conley Sr.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
Since we are on the Akok train, he grabs some congested rebounds higher than I remember seeing...their up there.
Yeah, and he's got great hands. Reminds me of Bam Adebayo in that way.

Reaction Score
Yeah Bouk would have stuffed that. I bet Hurley LOVED seeing the moxie.

Wouldn't be surprised to see that again down the line. Maybe sooner than we think. Maybe Indiana gets to see it.

Reaction Score

You think Akok is our best passer? Are we watching the same game?

Passing might be his biggest weakness right now. Super uncomfortable with the ball on the perimeter.

Reaction Score
You think Akok is our best passer? Are we watching the same game?

Passing might be his biggest weakness right now. Super uncomfortable with the ball on the perimeter.

Yeah that's a weird observation. I love the kid and think he's going to be great - small thing but he SPRINTS the floor after made buckets - but passing is definitely an area of weakness right now.

Reaction Score
Yeah that's a weird observation. I love the kid and think he's going to be great - small thing but he SPRINTS the floor after made buckets - but passing is definitely an area of weakness right now.

His motor was not like this at Putnam. He has clearly put in the work. Easily in the best shape on the team IMO. He looks like he could play 2 games straight easily.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Remember the recruitment photos of Akok Akok when he was at Cuse and UConn. Stoic. Couldn't read him.

Holy cow, what a poker face that was. He is da zhit !!

1575517153210.png

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Akok always seems, to me anyway, to turn and distribute quick and push us up the court. If we could turn that into fast breaks and finish, it sure would bring back some great memories. Otherwise, that kid has so much enthusiasm and heart it is awesome. I can't wait to see what is in store for us from him.

Spot on! Akok makes so many little basketball plays that don't show up on the stat sheet:

• Quick and accurate outlet passes after rebounds gets offense running
  • Presense around the rim alters shots defensively.
  • Runs rim to rim like a gazelle, forcing defenders to track him to the basket, which opens up our spot up shooters on the perimeter in transition.
  • Contagious energy and enthusiasm
He's a joy to watch and root for. Can't wait to watch his game continue to blossom.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom