Thread from Houston board | The Boneyard

Thread from Houston board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
And for those of us no longer paying for Scout what might the article be about?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Don't need to pay, just registered. Try your old password.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's free but...
Big East football and future bowl tie ins

I have had the opportunity, over the past week, to talk to a number of people regarding the Big East's position in the new big bowl scenarios now being developed..this included our own assistant SID, one of the Big East assistant commissioners, who i phoned in their offices, located in providence Rhode Island, and also Mike Rosenberg, college football writer for Sports Illustrated. The gist i got from these conversations is a lot of talking and planning is taking place regarding the Big East, even though NOTHING has come out publicly. The Asst. commish literally GAURANTEED me that the new BE champ would have a slot in one of the top 6 new year's day bowl games....Mr. Rosenberg told me that 6 affiliate bowl games will be hooked up on a rotating basis with the 2 semifinal playoff games. The feeling is those games will be the old ROSE, SUGAR, FIESTA, ORANGE, COTTON and probably the CITRUS....all big time new year's day bowl games....only 2 will have the playoffs any given year, but ALL 6 will be huge games, as they are viewed as "affiliate" bowl games with NC.....BE official and Rosenberg both feel sure the BE will have a slot in one of these 6 major games each year..the MONEY will be GIGANTIC for everyone..mr. rRosenberg said Neal Pilson, a prominent sports TV consultant, feels that these 6 games and the championship game later, a total of 7 games, could bring a contract of as much as 300 million per year....i think the new BEAST is in a better position than most realize....i dont like waiting any more than the next guy...will be glad when hopefully, much more comes out in next 2 to 3 months.....need to get that new commich on board, ASAP.....BE asst commish said next 30 days.....fingers crossed........

Reaction Score
I still don't understand why the non-playoff bowls would get so much more money. Until the playoffs are expanded beyond just the 4 teams the other games are just exhibitions.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I still don't understand why the non-playoff bowls would get so much more money. Until the playoffs are expanded beyond just the 4 teams the other games are just exhibitions.

They've almost always been exhibitions, yet the networks pay big $$ to broadcast them. Any NYD bowl game will be fine. Expect the Cotton bowl instead of the Fiesta. Jerry isn't a wallflower.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

Because most of the viewers could care less and franky haven't got a clue as long as its two name programs

Reaction Score
Because most of the viewers could care less and franky haven't got a clue as long as its two name programs

That may be true but they could get a hell of a lot more viewers if they expand to 8 or 12 teams.

Reaction Score
How is that different than the previous system. If anything, 3 games now count instead of one.
I never understood it either but if you tell people it's a big deal, advertise the snot out of it, advertise some more, people will tune in.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So the Big East is talking to this guy, but not legitimate media. Makes sense.

Reaction Score
How is that different than the previous system. If anything, 3 games now count instead of one.
I never understood it either but if you tell people it's a big deal, advertise the snot out of it, advertise some more, people will tune in.

That's my point. I don't understand why they are getting a ton more money when the system hasn't changed much.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
That's my point. I don't understand why they are getting a ton more money when the system hasn't changed much.
Instead of 4 big bowls you're getting 4 big bowls plus the 2 semifinal bowls. Plus people have been complaining about the lack of a playoff forever so more people will likely tune in now that there is a playoff of some form. For instance, I haven't watch a full NC game in a very long time but I will more than likely watch the 3 playoff games now that there is at least something in terms of a playoff.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Instead of 4 big bowls you're getting 4 big bowls plus the 2 semifinal bowls. Plus people have been complaining about the lack of a playoff forever so more people will likely tune in now that there is a playoff of some form. For instance, I haven't watch a full NC game in a very long time but I will more than likely watch the 3 playoff games now that there is at least something in terms of a playoff.

This is close. Another way to put it is inventory plus. There are more big games 7 vs 5 and the biggest games now 3 vs 1 are more valuable because of the playoff label.

I am coming around to the Orange bowl being worth less (hello 1pm time slot) but the Champions bowl and the two elevated bowls will match top 10 teams or teams with large followings. They'll as big as the current BCS bowls.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score

The present system pays $175 million or thereabouts for the top 7 games (see below). If the new system starts at $215 million for 7 games and has a yearly 6% bump that's a 12-year $300 million average deal. Obviously the pitch is fewer weaker rating teams and hand picked matchups in the 7 at-large slots.

1222bowlpayouts4.gif

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/29/bowl-game-payouts-map-2011-2012-bcs_n_1174808.html

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
RS9999X :
"The present system pays $175 million or thereabouts for the top 7 games (see below). If the new system starts at $215 million for 7 games and has a yearly 6% bump that's a 12-year $300 million average deal. Obviously the pitch is fewer weaker rating teams and hand picked matchups in the 7 at-large slots.'

How much of these numbers are based upon over priced tickets and hotel rooms that the confernences or schools end up eating? The non playoff games have be devalued as they are no longer "BCS" games. Also it will be tough for the fans of the playoffs teams to travel to 2 boondoggles in a 2-3 week span. How many fans can drop $1+ in back to back weeks.[/quote]

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
How many fans can drop $1+ in back to back weeks.

And here we have the death of this current format. Maybe I should invest in RV and oil companies, just in case I'm wrong? I suspect the first few years will be OK if the Big Game is in Fla or TX. The next step is to have all three games in the same general locale, center around one of the traditional bowls.

Reaction Score
This is close. Another way to put it is inventory plus. There are more big games 7 vs 5 and the biggest games now 3 vs 1 are more valuable because of the playoff label.

I am coming around to the Orange bowl being worth less (hello 1pm time slot) but the Champions bowl and the two elevated bowls will match top 10 teams or teams with large followings. They'll as big as the current BCS bowls.

If the conferences pick the teams to replace their playoff bound team in their contracted bowl, the new system sucks.
I've seen it written both ways so not certain how it will work. One article suggested the acc would select a team if their top team was in the playoffs. Other articles suggested the committee would select the teams.
If the acc is picking a 8-4 team while our best be team at 10-2 goes to the beef o Brady bowl we're screwed. I'm not sure the fan base would put up with it either if the ob is a perennial joke of a matchup.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If the conferences pick the teams to replace their playoff bound team in their contracted bowl, the new system sucks.
I've seen it written both ways so not certain how it will work. One article suggested the acc would select a team if their top team was in the playoffs. Other articles suggested the committee would select the teams.
If the acc is picking a 8-4 team while our best be team at 10-2 goes to the beef o Brady bowl we're screwed. I'm not sure the fan base would put up with it either if the ob is a perennial joke of a matchup.

It seems quite clear that if the ACC has a playoff team that the ACC sends a second team to the Orange.

Reaction Score
It seems quite clear that if the ACC has a playoff team that the ACC sends a second team to the Orange.
That's what I thought, but then what does the committee do? Only pick the playoffs?
Will the average fan support a system where 5 of the 12 spots are taken before the season starts. And regardless of how poorly any of those schools do they still get preference.
I give it 3 years before the BE gets royally shafted where our top team goes to some crppy bowl while the acc champ goes to the orange bowl.
I am disappointed that Bailey was so nonchalant about this. I get that there may be some injustices. But those injustices are written into this new system if what you say is true. And every time it happens, the acc (or other conference), is simply stealing money earned by the be. They already have the advantage of better tv deals. Now they need to make the system even more unfair by rigging the post season.
Would people put up with the Yankees getting a free ride to the Alcs every year?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
That's what I thought, but then what does the committee do? Only pick the playoffs?
Will the average fan support a system where 5 of the 12 spots are taken before the season starts. And regardless of how poorly any of those schools do they still get preference.
I give it 3 years before the BE gets royally shafted where our top team goes to some crppy bowl while the acc champ goes to the orange bowl.
I am disappointed that Bailey was so nonchalant about this. I get that there may be some injustices. But those injustices are written into this new system if what you say is true. And every time it happens, the acc (or other conference), is simply stealing money earned by the be. They already have the advantage of better tv deals. Now they need to make the system even more unfair by rigging the post season.
Would people put up with the Yankees getting a free ride to the Alcs every year?

One could easily say that the Yankees and other Big-Market teams rig the system against small market teams like my Brewers! But I'm not going to go into my dislike of baseball economics.

I was under the impression that the committee would select the play-off teams and any open bowl spots in the 6 major bowls (2 of which are the playoff bowls). So any tie ins would happen first and then whatever spots were left were decided by the committee. I don't know for sure if this is the case but from everything I've read I get this impression. The reality is that the Big East needs to actually do something for once and get a big time bowl tie-in. I know everyone wants to tout this NBE as something that could be good for UConn and others but until someone takes control of this conference and shows proper leadership and direction, the NBE deserves all the criticism people on this board and elsewhere throw at it. I'm not sure what people were saying was so great about Joe Bailey when he took over as interm commish a few months back but he's done squat since he's taken over.

If there's no bowl tie-in for the BE then there truly will be 5 power conferences.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Clearly the average fan will support this system, since they supported the old system and this one isn't as bad. Almost everyone thinks it's a step in the right direction.

If the Big East earns the money they will be in the games. If there is a team that is good enough and has a fanbase that will support them, they will find a home.

Bailey's comments are bizarre, but they don't matter. All the talking in the world isn't going to change anything. Only putting good football teams on the field and having passionate fanbases will move the needle.

Reaction Score

I just put in my info from the old Scout UConn Board and got right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom