ThoughtZ™ | The Boneyard

ThoughtZ™

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
  1. I hate it when the officials dominate the ThoughtZ™, but this game was horribly officiated.
  2. Jackson's 3 stroke is ugly, but it's been going in of late.
  3. Akok was really into the game early. Active. Aggressive. But he started that way last game, then disappeared. Tonight, he made the most of his minute late as well as early.
  4. Sanogo came in and we lost all our rhythm. Tried too hard to force it in to him. Missed his first two shots, and gave up 2 consecutive lay-ins at the other end.
  5. 2nd time Adama came in, he was much more effective, just playing in the flow of the game.
  6. Late in the first half, the refs started calling everything in Marquette's favor. In the last 6 minutes of the half, they called 7 fouls on UConn, and none on Marquette. Plus they gave that after the shot clock basket to Marquette. We took 4 FTs in the first half. Marquette took 9.
  7. I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with Hawkins.
  8. Martin reminds me more and more of senior year Donny every game.
  9. How was the foul at 11:23 on Whaley, not Lewis?
  10. Around the 10 minute mark, I started to get nervous.
  11. What exactly was that call at 4:30 about?
  12. Then Martin fakes a guy out of his shorts and is called for a foul when the guy fell on his ass. I think he got angry about it, because he became a man possessed after that.
  13. How was Cole's chuck it up while you're getting fouled shot in the last minute not an "and one"?
  14. Jackson lead us in rebounding. Again.
  15. Other than a couple relatively short lapses when we let them get back into it, we played well. Won both halves. Shot 50/30/88.9. Squeaked out a rebounding advantage and led assists and steals.
  16. I've been trying to pull for Gaffney. Every now and then there's a flash of promise there. Then he has two consecutive turnovers. Him being on the floor fairly late in a close game might've been why I got nervous mid-2nd half.

Reaction Score
We really needed this one tonight. To finish in the top half or top quarter of the league, you need to win on the road. I think the guys needed this one just for confidence alone. Things finally went right for us and like you pointed out, we played a relatively complete game.

Obviously Cole and Martin deserve their credit. They are the guys leading this team. But, Jackson is becoming an under the radar very important player for us. He fills the stat sheet. If you look at the numbers, It’s almost like he has a near double double in a lot of the games played so far. Jackson could really become an X factor as the season goes on if he continues to play like this.

Reaction Score
How was the foul at 11:23 on Whaley, not Lewis?
Hated this call. It was so obviously an offensive foul even in real time. Whaley didn't flop though, so the officials didn't call it. Dude shouldn't have to fall down to get the call.

Even if it's a 50-50 call (it wasn't), I think the benefit of the doubt should probably go to the defense when you have a 6'7" freshman forward posting up a 6'9" graduate center DPOY.

Lewis was impressive though. Unbelievably physical. Made a ton of tough shots and hit his free throws.

Reaction Score
My main take away from this game is that despite getting the win Hurley has a clear problem with holding leads. 7 point lead in the first half, 11 point lead in the second half, then our offense becomes anemic. He's outstanding at mounting comebacks as a coach but we need way more of a game plan to hold leads.

As much as we can try to chalk that up to Gaffney underperforming or just guys missing shots, watching our offense under 10 minutes try to execute is painful. No structure whatsoever. I think Hurley has proven he is a great program coach and a solid in game coach, but in order to take this program to the level we need it to be we not only need to compete with everyone (which we have done), but consistently stomp on the throats of inferior competition.

Reaction Score
This is a good team, very good when hitting on all cylinders. It's not a great team. At present, it is a team trying to reintegrate two of it's best three players into the lineup. Hawkins is playing like a freshman, which he is. I'm sure the in practice work at this point in the season is like nothing he has experienced. To compare, as a freshman at this time of year, Lamb had a 5 game stretch vs. competition comparable to Marquette where he averaged 4.5 pts/game.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Good comments Rich.

I will double down on what I said last week, Andre is a Goddamned menace to the other team. He makes mistakes but he’s also simply unstoppable in many ways. The threat of him going coast to coast is always there.

Akok hit some shots and he is always active on the boards and as a rim protector. I wish we would get him the ball in the post.

Martin and Cole were clutch. Showed leadership down the stretch. It’s been needed.

Polley plays too much but at least it was less than vs PC. Maybe Dan is realizing he’s a very limited player.

Gaff has a role, but seems to be trying to prove himself too much, which leads to mistakes. He doesn’t look comfortable.

Whaley was abused down low. Not the first time. He is also a more limited player than many want to admit. We certainly need him, but I’d like to see him as the backup 5. Would like more Johnson too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Good comments Rich.

I will double down on what I said last week, Andre is a Goddamned menace to the other team. He makes mistakes but he’s also simply unstoppable in many ways. The threat of him going coast to coast is always there.

Akok hit some shots and he is always active on the boards and as a rim protector. I wish we would get him the ball in the post.

Martin and Cole were clutch. Showed leadership down the stretch. It’s been needed.

Polley plays too much but at least it was less than vs PC. Maybe Dan is realizing he’s a very limited player.

Gaff has a role, but seems to be trying to prove himself too much, which leads to mistakes. He doesn’t look comfortable.

Whaley was abused down low. Not the first time. He is also a more limited player than many want to admit. We certainly need him, but I’d like to see him as the backup 5. Would like more Johnson too.

That coast to coast and 1 layup early on is something opposing coaches can't defend against. He just gets separation and elevation.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
To compare, as a freshman at this time of year, Lamb had a 5 game stretch vs. competition comparable to Marquette where he averaged 4.5 pts/game.
Thanks, that's a good note.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I don't know what you guys expect of Gaffney. Yeah, he commits some turnovers. Everyone on the team does. But he's right there on the assist to turnover ratio - for this team anyway. Cole is 2.45; Gaffney is 2.11; Only Hawkins, Jackson, Polley and Whaley are above even and those are only slightly above. Martin is negative. I, for one, think Gaffney does a more than creditable job when he's out there.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
I don't know what you guys expect of Gaffney. Yeah, he commits some turnovers. Everyone on the team does. But he's right there on the assist to turnover ratio - for this team anyway. Cole is 2.45; Gaffney is 2.11; Only Hawkins, Jackson, Polley and Whaley are above even and those are only slightly above. Martin is negative. I, for one, think Gaffney does a more than creditable job when he's out there.
I wonder what those numbers look like when the buy games are removed?

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm with you, he seems like such a good dude. I'm hoping he flicks the switch soon.
I’ve been kind of a defender of his for the role he plays. But I’ve also wondered why a supposedly good Diggins can’t see the floor. He must be lousy in practice. Gaffney played quite a bit as a Freshman. I know every year is different but that Diggins is glued to the bench when Gaffney wasn’t is a bit of a puzzle.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Gaffney had a nice pass to Sanogo on a PnR in the first half. That’s been about it the last few games.

The backcourt of Gaffney Hawkins Polley is pure raw butt these days.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom