Thoughts on VAR | The Boneyard

Thoughts on VAR

Reaction Score
Next couple of weeks may determine whether or not FIFA and the major European leagues adopt video assistant (VAR). As a football traditionalist, I hate change. Not even a fan of A-B-B-A penalty system. I think VAR is the direction we’re headed but I haven’t seen enough evidence of it being a significant upgrade without ruining the flow of the game. Thoughts?

Debate rages but VAR’s reckoning nears as football prepares for revolution

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I like VAR, but hate the current execution of it.

Reaction Score
Get rid of it. I like human error and controversy.
I agree. We may be in the minority here but human error has always been a part of the game. They've hired extra linesmen whose only jobs are to see if the ball crossed the line. Offside/penalties/card decisions should all be up to the ref, IMO.

Reaction Score
I'm for it as long as it's used for goals only and doesn't take up lots of time like it currently does. It should be as quick as whatever system tennis has.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big fan because I think they need to refine the guidelines a bit. For example, this weekend here in the Bundesliga a goal was overturned because of a handball 15 seconds before the goal. It was a clear handball but did not directly influence the lead up to the goal; I guess the rule (at least in Germany) is that if the offense occurs in the same attacking sequence it can be reviewed and overturned. So if a team controls the ball in the offensive zone for 1 minute after an offense before scoring they can overturn the goal? I think that's a bit ridiculous. In addition, they seem to be calling some ticky tacky fouls here with it and letting some clear things go.

I guess it's in an infancy stage but I'm frustrated more than happy with it at the moment.

Reaction Score
I'm not a big fan because I think they need to refine the guidelines a bit. For example, this weekend here in the Bundesliga a goal was overturned because of a handball 15 seconds before the goal. It was a clear handball but did not directly influence the lead up to the goal; I guess the rule (at least in Germany) is that if the offense occurs in the same attacking sequence it can be reviewed and overturned. So if a team controls the ball in the offensive zone for 1 minute after an offense before scoring they can overturn the goal? I think that's a bit ridiculous. In addition, they seem to be calling some ticky tacky fouls here with it and letting some clear things go.

I guess it's in an infancy stage but I'm frustrated more than happy with it at the moment.
I agree that this is the biggest issue. I don’t think an infraction that doesn’t directly lead to a goal should influence the decision. Otherwise, you can look for any minor detail. I remember in the Confederations Cup, Portugal got a goal reversed due to an offside....but, the initial shot hit the crossbar and then a mad scramble for a tap in. I feel like the infraction must occur directly prior to the goal being scored.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not a big fan because I think they need to refine the guidelines a bit. For example, this weekend here in the Bundesliga a goal was overturned because of a handball 15 seconds before the goal.

I think stuff like that is worse than the issues it's supposed to alleviate.

Reaction Score
I agree that this is the biggest issue. I don’t think an infraction that doesn’t directly lead to a goal should influence the decision. Otherwise, you can look for any minor detail. I remember in the Confederations Cup, Portugal got a goal reversed due to an offside....but, the initial shot hit the crossbar and then a mad scramble for a tap in. I feel like the infraction must occur directly prior to the goal being scored.
Agreed. I have to admit that I saw it live because it was against my team, but that didn't influence my frustration at all. :cool:
The problem was that they didn't announce anything or show replays; we just saw the ref make the signal for a decision via VAR and handball and we were all wondering WTF was going on.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And what also bothered me in that Confed Cup was players stalling to give the VAR time to review a call. That's football, not futbol.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom