Thoughts on the game... | The Boneyard

Thoughts on the game...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Just a really solid win by the team but I have some thoughts on the team - mostly good, some meh...

Just because Duke was able to keep it close in the first half does not mean, as several said in the game thread, that this is a "UCONN team with flaws". UCONN won this game by 31 points going away over the team who almost beat the current #1 team in the nation.

I mean this not as an insult to Duke, but as a comment on how good UCONN was, that we played our 2 walk ons in a game they normally should never have played in... and they held their own!

I am NOT saying that this UCONN team can't improve. But one big thing that has really stood out to me is how this team is able to make adjustments during the game. We got down 10 to ND and outscored them by over 30 the remaining 30 minutes. Duke had a 2 point lead with about 6 minutes left in the game, and UCONN outscored them by 33 over the remaining 26 minutes.

I'm not sure what Moriah Jefferson was eating early in the season, but clearly she's gotten it all out of her system. Maybe, as Icebear pointed out, it was the mojo of the pony tail. The last 2 games it's back in a bun and she's been sensational. I sincerely hope this puts to bed the whole "but UCONN needs 3 point shooters" thing. She shot it over 40% last year and is doing so again this year. She's a really solid 3 point shooter, ok guys??!! And that hesitation move where she blew by the defender late-ish in the 2nd half was awesome!

Loved seeing KML mix it up in the post as well as knocking down the 3's. Her shot seemed a tiny bit off, but the 3's she missed were oh so close. 4-9 probably drops her overall %, but she's terrific. Oh, and did you see her keeping up with Greenwell sprinting down the court at one point? She's a joy to watch.

Morgan Tuck absolutely needs to stop shooting the 3 ball. She was 0-2 tonight, but I thought she jacked up more than that. She's well under 20% for the season, so (IMHO) either start stepping in a few steps, or quit jacking them up. Other than that, she's just terrific. Her decision making when she gets the ball is terrific and Doris correctly pointed out she never plays rushed or hurried.

Kiah Nurse is just sensational. One of the top 3 or 4 freshmen in the nation. I now think she has some terrific upside, in spite of the fact that she's so mature and composed and all around great as a freshman. As a guard, though, her FT shooting is only 62% and she shot below that tonight. For a kid who is as adept at driving to the hoop, FT shooting is something important for her to work on. It's odd because at 43%, her 3 point shooting is 2nd on the team tied with Moriah...

Breanna Stewart - she does so many things well, but I've been a little disappointed with her play this year. She may be the most gifted player in the nation, but at this point, she's very far from the NPOY. Perhaps it's because so many teams are keying onto her and double teaming, etc, but her stats are solid. Perhaps it's also that my expectations are so high for her, but as a player who was the MOP at the last 2 final 4's against the best competition in the nation, I expect more from her against merely "good" or "very good" teams. Would her stats be really good for 99% of the other players in the nation? Yes but not for the reigning NPOY.

Stokes is somewhat offensively challenged, but NO ONE can deny the impact she has on the defensive end. I simply love watching her play defense. Her timing and athleticism are terrific. She seems to be looking for her shot a tiny bit more this year, but averaging 6 PPG is not what I was hoping for.

I think Williams was overmatched, or perhaps not quite ready for the size and speed of Duke, but when Geno brought her in with about 5 minutes to go, she had an instant impact and played quite well. Oh, and nice hitting her FT's - she's struggled there all season...

Saniya Chong - she's frustrating to watch. I don't care for her with the ball (she seems a "loose" ball handler and dribbles it really high). Much of her PG mentality seems to be to dribble the ball out beyond the arc, wave a player somewhere else where she wants them, and then pick up her dribble and pass the ball up. I am rooting so hard for her, but she seems only marginally different from last season, perhaps a big reason she lost her starting guard spot to Nurse. As a guard 1 assist in 14 minutes. Gabby Williams had 1 assist in 6 minutes and she's a post player.

There is almost nothing to "complain" about in a win like this and I hope my "critical" comments are taken in the vein as Geno would offer them - in that there is always room for improvement.

I noticed that McCallie did not stop at all when shaking hands with Geno. Perhaps she is frustrated that UCONN continues to beat the tar out of her teams, but she can take solace in the fact that they hung really tough for the first half.

As for Duke, Stevens and Williams were the bright spots. Calhoun showed me nothing and Greenwell was completely neutralized. For a team with so much size, they were out rebounded by 6 - and they were +21 coming into this game. I thought at times Duke's defense looked terrific and I can see where it would befuddle other teams as they constantly change things up. But UCONN is patient, so talented, and has 5 legit players who can score double figures every single night. How on earth do you defend that? Answer, you don't...

I thought UCONN would win by about 22-25. They won by 31. I have news for South Carolina - it's highly unlikely you come within 20 points of UCONN. Oh, and this UCONN team will be a lot better by the end of the season...

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I felt like the Duke players mailed it in the last 7 or 8 minutes when the lead went from 18 to as much as 33. Perhaps it was their conditioning or lack thereof.
I can't disagree with that!

Reaction Score
I can't disagree with that!
Can you blame them? I'm guessing they're all aware of the approximate margin of victory of the typical UConn-Duke game, and once the lead got to 20 it seemed like their body language changed and their spirit and will to fight back had been broken.

Reaction Score
Just a really solid win by the team but I have some thoughts on the team - mostly good, some meh...

Just because Duke was able to keep it close in the first half does not mean, as several said in the game thread, that this is a "UCONN team with flaws". UCONN won this game by 31 points going away over the team who almost beat the current #1 team in the nation.

I mean this not as an insult to Duke, but as a comment on how good UCONN was, that we played our 2 walk ons in a game they normally should never have played in... and they held their own!

I am NOT saying that this UCONN team can't improve. But one big thing that has really stood out to me is how this team is able to make adjustments during the game. We got down 10 to ND and outscored them by over 30 the remaining 30 minutes. Duke had a 2 point lead with about 6 minutes left in the game, and UCONN outscored them by 33 over the remaining 26 minutes.

I'm not sure what Moriah Jefferson was eating early in the season, but clearly she's gotten it all out of her system. Maybe, as Icebear pointed out, it was the mojo of the pony tail. The last 2 games it's back in a bun and she's been sensational. I sincerely hope this puts to bed the whole "but UCONN needs 3 point shooters" thing. She shot it over 40% last year and is doing so again this year. She's a really solid 3 point shooter, ok guys??!! And that hesitation move where she blew by the defender late-ish in the 2nd half was awesome!

Loved seeing KML mix it up in the post as well as knocking down the 3's. Her shot seemed a tiny bit off, but the 3's she missed were oh so close. 4-9 probably drops her overall %, but she's terrific. Oh, and did you see her keeping up with Greenwell sprinting down the court at one point? She's a joy to watch.

Morgan Tuck absolutely needs to stop shooting the 3 ball. She was 0-2 tonight, but I thought she jacked up more than that. She's well under 20% for the season, so (IMHO) either start stepping in a few steps, or quit jacking them up. Other than that, she's just terrific. Her decision making when she gets the ball is terrific and Doris correctly pointed out she never plays rushed or hurried.

Kiah Nurse is just sensational. One of the top 3 or 4 freshmen in the nation. I now think she has some terrific upside, in spite of the fact that she's so mature and composed and all around great as a freshman. As a guard, though, her FT shooting is only 62% and she shot below that tonight. For a kid who is as adept at driving to the hoop, FT shooting is something important for her to work on. It's odd because at 43%, her 3 point shooting is 2nd on the team tied with Moriah...

Breanna Stewart - she does so many things well, but I've been a little disappointed with her play this year. She may be the most gifted player in the nation, but at this point, she's very far from the NPOY. Perhaps it's because so many teams are keying onto her and double teaming, etc, but her stats are solid. Perhaps it's also that my expectations are so high for her, but as a player who was the MOP at the last 2 final 4's against the best competition in the nation, I expect more from her against merely "good" or "very good" teams. Would her stats be really good for 99% of the other players in the nation? Yes but not for the reigning NPOY.

Stokes is somewhat offensively challenged, but NO ONE can deny the impact she has on the defensive end. I simply love watching her play defense. Her timing and athleticism are terrific. She seems to be looking for her shot a tiny bit more this year, but averaging 6 PPG is not what I was hoping for.

I think Williams was overmatched, or perhaps not quite ready for the size and speed of Duke, but when Geno brought her in with about 5 minutes to go, she had an instant impact and played quite well. Oh, and nice hitting her FT's - she's struggled there all season...

Saniya Chong - she's frustrating to watch. I don't care for her with the ball (she seems a "loose" ball handler and dribbles it really high). Much of her PG mentality seems to be to dribble the ball out beyond the arc, wave a player somewhere else where she wants them, and then pick up her dribble and pass the ball up. I am rooting so hard for her, but she seems only marginally different from last season, perhaps a big reason she lost her starting guard spot to Nurse. As a guard 1 assist in 14 minutes. Gabby Williams had 1 assist in 6 minutes and she's a post player.

There is almost nothing to "complain" about in a win like this and I hope my "critical" comments are taken in the vein as Geno would offer them - in that there is always room for improvement.

I noticed that McCallie did not stop at all when shaking hands with Geno. Perhaps she is frustrated that UCONN continues to beat the tar out of her teams, but she can take solace in the fact that they hung really tough for the first half.

As for Duke, Stevens and Williams were the bright spots. Calhoun showed me nothing and Greenwell was completely neutralized. For a team with so much size, they were out rebounded by 6 - and they were +21 coming into this game. I thought at times Duke's defense looked terrific and I can see where it would befuddle other teams as they constantly change things up. But UCONN is patient, so talented, and has 5 legit players who can score double figures every single night. How on earth do you defend that? Answer, you don't...

I thought UCONN would win by about 22-25. They won by 31. I have news for South Carolina - it's highly unlikely you come within 20 points of UCONN. Oh, and this UCONN team will be a lot better by the end of the season...

Agree with all your points.
It's interesting to read some of the posts in the first half such as the one you mentioned "UCONN team with flaws" then find no follow up posts when UConn is blowing the # 10 ranked team right out of the gym. Makes you wonder who they are really rooting for.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Nice write-up.
I too pull for Chong and I actually think she had a good game and is better than you think.

On Stewart - agree that she is not in 'POY' mode at the moment, but that i think is also the way Geno works with his superstars - breaking them down and forcing them out of comfort zones for most of the season before building them back up for the tournaments. It all seems a bit of a struggle for her at the moment, but I have confidence she will figure it out.

Duke's schedule this year has been pretty awesome - especially considering the ACC will be tough as well. Good for coach P.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree with all your points.
It's interesting to read some of the posts in the first half such as the one you mentioned "UCONN team with flaws" then find no follow up posts when UConn is blowing the # 10 ranked team right out of the gym. Makes you wonder who they are really rooting for.
Have to say that that first half performance had a lot of flaws in it (and a lot of turnovers!) We often have threads here talking about the 'awful' games being played by other teams, and that first half would have qualified.

Reaction Score
Nice post eric! Loved it.

A few things

1---- I didn't realize KML was 4-9 which is terrific. Man- I really do expect every 3 to go in (I'm joking) and when it is 44% I feel like she has shot terrible (I'm joking). She is that darn good.

2--- I wouldn't worry 1 second about Stewie. She could do the "Griner thing_--and remain in the paint - but as a 6'4 player she is often playing like a wing. Wings being the focal part of the offense (and the opponents defense) in which she is being asked to make more decisions - is going to take time. But just think for players like MoJeff and KNurse and SChong - they should all thank Stewie for the open looks they get. Secondly, how often do you go into a game "we have to stop Tuck so we need to double-her?" Again imo is a lot of 'The Stewie effect" along with a "KML effect."

3--- I want Tuck taking a few three's a game - that's how she is going to get better. Not just by taking them in practice. Geno had said he would have moved Griner away from the basket sometimes. IMO you just don't want to pin down players. She'll get better. It's not like her shots are slamming against the back of the backboard. And as she winds up at the next level- she needs to work on that. I think a part of recruiting is encouraging players like the Tuck's to be more than just undersized posts around the basket. For her development she needs to work on it and as long as Geno isn't yanking her for taking the shot - I got to believe he believes she can stick it eventually. So I'm rooting for her to continue to challenge herself.

Reaction Score
Nice write-up.
I too pull for Chong and I actually think she had a good game and is better than you think.

On Stewart - agree that she is not in 'POY' mode at the moment, but that i think is also the way Geno works with his superstars - breaking them down and forcing them out of comfort zones for most of the season before building them back up for the tournaments. It all seems a bit of a struggle for her at the moment, but I have confidence she will figure it out.

Duke's schedule this year has been pretty awesome - especially considering the ACC will be tough as well. Good for coach P.
I usually agree with your posts but I find myself thinking that Chong didn't play overtly well at all. She had a good moment or two and I liked the heads up defensive play she made stealing the ball out of Williams hands for the uncontested layup but her shot has been pretty awful as was mentioned by the broadcast team. I agree that Stewie is not playing like a "POY" candidate but I'm definitely not feeling that Geno is trying to break her out of her comfort zone to build her up later. There are other reasons her play is off and I hope she finds herself sooner rather than later. She forced things today and made some totally uncharacteristic sloppy passes. I think the team in general forced things for an appreciable part of the first half on the offensive side but did play some very good defensive ball all game long. I was quite pleased with that.

Reaction Score
Nice post eric! Loved it.

A few things

1---- I didn't realize KML was 4-9 which is terrific. Man- I really do expect every 3 to go in (I'm joking) and when it is 44% I feel like she has shot terrible (I'm joking). She is that darn good.

2--- I wouldn't worry 1 second about Stewie. She could do the "Griner thing_--and remain in the paint - but as a 6'4 player she is often playing like a wing. Wings being the focal part of the offense (and the opponents defense) in which she is being asked to make more decisions - is going to take time. But just think for players like MoJeff and KNurse and SChong - they should all thank Stewie for the open looks they get. Secondly, how often do you go into a game "we have to stop Tuck so we need to double-her?" Again imo is a lot of 'The Stewie effect" along with a "KML effect."

3--- I want Tuck taking a few three's a game - that's how she is going to get better. Not just by taking them in practice. Geno had said he would have moved Griner away from the basket sometimes. IMO you just don't want to pin down players. She'll get better. It's not like her shots are slamming against the back of the backboard. And as she winds up at the next level- she needs to work on that. I think a part of recruiting is encouraging players like the Tuck's to be more than just undersized posts around the basket. For her development she needs to work on it and as long as Geno isn't yanking her for taking the shot - I got to believe he believes she can stick it eventually. So I'm rooting for her to continue to challenge herself.
I myself agree that I want Morgan to continue shooting three's because I remember her having some success prior to this season. Why she is off on her shot is surprising to me because she has a nice stroke. Inevitable she'll regain it and we'll all be better off for it. It may be at a key moment when we are challenged (if we are challenged) later in the season or post season. I really do enjoy the way she plays the game and I know Geno feels the same.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
One other thing I forgot to mention - the scary thing about this team, and the reason I think they still have so much upside, is because it seems like they start out often somewhat "slow", and need coaching (or something else) to "get it"... ND, Depaul, UCLA and Duke all played them tough for the first 10-15 minutes of each game. Then it seems like something clicks and they go on a run to end the half. Then whatever happens at halftime must be dramatic because they come out like a house on fire and blow out teams in the 2nd half.

I have a feeling Geno is mostly responsible for this. Last year he had the benefit of 2 really smart and vocal seniors - Dolson and Hartley. This year, Stokes comes off the bench and KML is not a vocal leader. BUT this team is like a sponge and seems to be absorbing whatever Geno is saying because at times they look really really good.

Reaction Score
Have to say that that first half performance had a lot of flaws in it (and a lot of turnovers!) We often have threads here talking about the 'awful' games being played by other teams, and that first half would have qualified.

True, UConn did not play that well in the first half. My complaint was directed at those who only complain, as some did in the first half, but not complement the superb second half play.
It's that kind of one sided posts make me wonder about who they are really rooting for.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
True, UConn did not play that well in the first half. My complaint was directed at those who only complain, as some did in the first half, but not complement the superb second half play.
It's that kind of one sided posts make me wonder about who they are really rooting for.
Maybe they are the toothless 2nd cousins of Debbie Downer...;)

picture-360.png

Reaction Score
To reiterate, when Kia Nurse left the game in the first half (not to return because of the two fouls), UConn had an 11-point lead. I can't emphasize enough how important she is to this team. In WCBB, guard play wins championships; anybody think UConn would have lost to Stanford if she had not fouled out? I would love to see someone compile a plus/minus on her.

Dribbles

Mrs. Dribbles
Reaction Score

Agreed 100% - especially on Nurse. One item drove me bananas was O''Brien's unrelenting praise of Duke while UConn was humiliating them.

Reaction Score
I agree regarding Kia Nurse. Duke began its first half comeback as soon as she sat down and of course things were a different story in the second half with her presence on the floor. I was a bit surprised that neither of the commentators made this observation as she sat. I do believe that UCONN has its floor leader in Nurse and that time will bear this out as the season progresses. However, its rare that a Freshman overtly takes on this role. She does fill up a stat sheet, certainly not at the level Moore used to, but her impact is undeniable. I also believe UCONN beats Stanford if she doesn't foul out. I also want to see Chong succeed; she seems like a good kid who does try hard.

Reaction Score
One item drove me bananas was O''Brien's unrelenting praise of Duke while UConn was humiliating them.

What are they gonna do? The number 10 team in the country is getting blown out. You can see how good UConn is so you have to come up with something to talk about.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think it should be mentioned that when Duke tied it up and then went up by two. It was Chong coming off the bench who provided the lift UConn needed. And, it was Chongs thievery when Williams brought the ball down and her sprint with the ball to the other end of the court while virtually the remaining 9 players stood paralyzed wondering what just happened that put UConn in front for good. I must admit I was thinking when she was all alone with no chasers, "watch she is going to blow the lay-up". Well, she didn't and it probably wouldn't have mattered because as Philster pointed out...she would have been able to rebound her miss with impunity.

That being said...Eric...you did a great job with your comments...right on!!! And you are right...UConn should regain its number one ranking after the South Carolina game in February...that is if So. Carolina doesn't get careless beforehand. Next up---St. Johns at the Garden and the KML show where she becomes the greatest three point shooter in UConn Husky history. I must admit here also that nostalgia causes me to almost not want to see it happen...DT has held the three point record for a long time and, despite the fact that KML has worked hard to be in this position and despite the fact that if she didn't have the up and down year she had last year with injuries and mono...she would already have broken the record...it is just hard to let go of DT...she will always be the best player ever in my mind...it goes beyond the stats...it is the attitude, the sense of humor, the intensity, competitiveness, never accept a defeat determination...that whole damn package...she is just simply the best. But, records are made to be broken and KML certainly deserves the recognition as the best three point shooter in any female league anywhere on the planet.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
One thing I liked: attendance! All told, 13,514 people, or more than the capacity of Gampel by a long way, showed up for this game. Not a sellout, but underscores why having many of the games in Hartford is big business.

Reaction Score
One thing I liked: attendance! All told, 13,514 people, or more than the capacity of Gampel by a long way, showed up for this game. Not a sellout, but underscores why having many of the games in Hartford is big business.
The announcers last night were surprised that UConn has played just one game at UConn so far this year.

Reaction Score
Great game by the Huskies. This is probably not the best UCONN team but it is better than the rest of WCBB right now. If UCONN loses more games this year, it will be because the other team is hitting shots and not scared. Time after time, you see the opposing team just fall apart. That has a lot to do with UCONN's play but it is indicative of teams that do not have mental toughness. Also, I have to wonder why in the heck Duke did not take a page from Stanford and take the ball right to the paint by driving to the basket and then kicking out for a 3 if the lane was not open. They settled for rushed 18-20 footers all night long. Mind boggling to me. Oh well...

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Eric: " For a kid who is as adept at driving to the hoop, FT shooting is something important for her to work on. It's odd because at 43%, her 3 point shooting is 2nd on the team tied with Moriah." Maria Conlon, 3 point ace, was the worst free throw shooter on her team. Late in the game she was the Husky teams looked to foul. There is no figuring it.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Just getting to watch the game and it is 16-8 now. Really appreciating Kia Nurse's total game. Her spacing and ball hawking are excellent. Takes the charge on Duke's offensive pass out. Beautiful dish to Morgan for an easy two. Great switching on D. A really solid contribution. We are very lucky campers to have had her come along.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom