Thoughts on the end of the world | The Boneyard

Thoughts on the end of the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Wow.

We lost to Yale. We lost to Yale on a last second shot. We lost to Yale with a four-point lead with under 20 seconds to play. We're six games in and we're losing games to Yale.

The offensive is an absolute disaster. It's not Diaco-bad, but you can see Diaco-bad gaining in the rear view mirror. Can't shoot, can't take care of the ball, won't pass and appears to be completely allergic to trying to draw a foul. Complete disfunction.

We're 315th in the country in assists per game, 212th in field goal percentage and 227th in points scored. We're 122nd in rebounding which almost qualifies good news. (Tonight will knock us down in all of those categories...) We're -23 in first-half scoring. You actually cannot find a good offensive statistic for this bunch.

1) Ryan - It's hard to get too down on Ryan. In a lot of ways, he's playing the Kemba/Shabazz role but with less ability and far less help. That said, he's set the table for the past two losses with misses at the free throw line. He's likely exhausted from carrying the team for 37 minutes by then, but still...

2) The front court - Facey had a bad night...so be it. Nolan's Nolan which basically means empty minutes, a charge call or two and nothing else. Now Brimah...the kid is such an indifferent rebounder. He averaged three rebounds in 16 minutes last year. He's getting 26 minutes a game this year and hasn't managed to add even an entire rebound to his average. Three-point-six in 26 minutes?! We keep projecting him into the lottery - the NBA has no use for a raw seven-footer who can't rebound. The bad news - he's still so raw. The good news - he's not going anywhere.

3) Omar Calhoun - I have a theory. I'll let you know if I'm right in about ten days.

4) Does anyone know of a good Ferrari mechanic? We need one to report to Kevin Ollie's garage posthaste.

5) I thought it was a bad sign when KO let it drop that he wanted to see our players in the gym more. Tonight's comments were much more dire - not sure where this team's collective head is, but Ollie doesn't sound happy about it. Ollie seems like a good guy, but I suspect these guys are going to discover that he didn't get where he is simply by being nice.

6) We have three losses before heading to play Duke, Florida and Stanford. If this crew doesn't start to get on track, they could easily be sitting at 9-7 or 8-8 in mid-January and in this conference, we don't have a lot of runway to recover. "We're fine, we're UConn" is a great message board slogan, but I'm not certain the selection peeps subscribe to those.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I am glad I worked tonight and saw the score before I started watching the game. I will watch it tomorrow but after the other Huskies play.

Tomorrow could be a tough day

Reaction Score
3) Omar Calhoun - I have a theory. I'll let you know if I'm right in about ten days.

I know I'm breaking a rule so I'm going to do this diplomatically. If I set the over/under on number of minutes we see Omar in a UConn jersey over the next two seasons at 1, would you take the over or under? I had a tin foil hat thought when I saw him on the bench today.

Reaction Score
Get used to it. The year after a championship has never been very good to us. I'm not surprised and do not feel the sky is falling on UConn mens BB. This year is going to require patience. With this terrible tradition we also have the further tradition of winning a NC in a relative short amount of time from now.

Reaction Score
3. You're being cryptic but my guess is it's nothing good.
5. Ollie is going to destroy them in practices starting tomorrow, actually he might be destroying them in a practice right now.

Reaction Score
No it's not pretty.....18-12 record seems like a realistic possibility (6-6 & 12-6)....AAC tourney or bust.

OR they wake up and kick OOC ass the rest of the way and only drop a couple of conference games.

Reaction Score
big fish: Amoeba is not a seven footer. Mauuconn stated many months ago, and stated correctly the big man is lucky to be 6-9. This was proven in the UTexas game when said dude stood next to legit Longhorn bigs listed on their website at 6-10, 260 range.

Folks may think the 7 because Amoeba has arm length in Dr. J category.

Reaction Score
I can handle a bad season. But, I have two long term concerns:

1) that we lose Stone / other recruits because of this self destruction
2) that Dham decides not to return if the chemistry is a mess

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Good thing we play AAC teams in the AAC

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
It's not Diaco-bad, but you can see Diaco-bad gaining in the rear view mirror.

The fewer connections between the play of our football team and our basketball team, the better I can sleep at night.

patrick

Hurley4#6
Reaction Score
Wow.

We lost to Yale. We lost to Yale on a last second shot. We lost to Yale with a four-point lead with under 20 seconds to play. We're six games in and we're losing games to Yale.

The offensive is an absolute disaster. It's not Diaco-bad, but you can see Diaco-bad gaining in the rear view mirror. Can't shoot, can't take care of the ball, won't pass and appears to be completely allergic to trying to draw a foul. Complete disfunction.

We're 315th in the country in assists per game, 212th in field goal percentage and 227th in points scored. We're 122nd in rebounding which almost qualifies good news. (Tonight will knock us down in all of those categories...) We're -23 in first-half scoring. You actually cannot find a good offensive statistic for this bunch.

1) Ryan - It's hard to get too down on Ryan. In a lot of ways, he's playing the Kemba/Shabazz role but with less ability and far less help. That said, he's set the table for the past two losses with misses at the free throw line. He's likely exhausted from carrying the team for 37 minutes by then, but still...

2) The front court - Facey had a bad night...so be it. Nolan's Nolan which basically means empty minutes, a charge call or two and nothing else. Now Brimah...the kid is such an indifferent rebounder. He averaged three rebounds in 16 minutes last year. He's getting 26 minutes a game this year and hasn't managed to add even an entire rebound to his average. Three-point-six in 26 minutes?! We keep projecting him into the lottery - the NBA has no use for a raw seven-footer who can't rebound. The bad news - he's still so raw. The good news - he's not going anywhere.

4) Does anyone know of a good Ferrari mechanic? We need one to report to Kevin Ollie's garage posthaste.

5) I thought it was a bad sign when KO let it drop that he wanted to see our players in the gym more. Tonight's comments were much more dire - not sure where this team's collective head is, but Ollie doesn't sound happy about it. Ollie seems like a good guy, but I suspect these guys are going to discover that he didn't get where he is simply by being nice.

6) We have three losses before heading to play Duke, Florida and Stanford. If this crew doesn't start to get on track, they could easily be sitting at 9-7 or 8-8 in mid-January and in this conference, we don't have a lot of runway to recover. "We're fine, we're UConn" is a great message board slogan, but I'm not certain the selection peeps subscribe to those.
Omfg!
I hate it when you're right!

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Wow.

Boat, I feel know what he has with the team and is trying to do a lot and force the issue... He was never a point guard during his first three years and was bazz's safety valve, he played the 2 and was there to relieve bazz when he was tired... Kemba at least had bev and chuck for experience and AO who could get a double double almost every night... bazz had giff, kromah, daniels, TO... all experience players who knew their roles and excelled at that,not to mention 3/4 years of playing the point and then 3 years of being the man, boat never got that chance and it's hard for him with player who barely played and are new to the team. boat has himself and hamilton as of now and it's putting a lot of pressure on him. This was faceys first bad game, i have been very pleased with him rebounding, hamilton i love his game he looks to pass as much as he looks to shoot, brimah is hit or miss but i like how hes performing, purvis i feel as if he doesnt want to step on anyones toes and is very hesitant in what he does, he has barely played in the past 2 years.

They seemed tired and as if they didnt care tonight... Ollie is going to quickly see why Calhoun was the way he was... Ollie won't take this and i think you're going to see a lot of changes and hooks for players who arent doing what they're supposed to do... no more leniency

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
This is the other side of Mojo gentlemen. The other side of Mojo has presented us with two ankle sprains and a knee sprain to start the season and The magical nut sack has swung in favor of Texas and now Yale. This is karma based adversity my friends. We once won by the last second shot and now we lose by the same last second shot. It had to happen . 2011 and 2014 kinda exhausted the good fortune tank .It's life. I guess the bright side is we have these injuries and " WTF" at the beginning of the season with time to correct things.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I was a little surprised to see you have a point #4, but I understand as the mojo of leaving #4 unstated has clearly not worked.

I still have faith in this team...they will be playing good ball in 2015.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I was a little surprised to see you have a point #4, but I understand as the mojo of leaving #4 unstated has clearly not worked.

I still have faith in this team...they will be playing good ball in 2015.

S---.

I forgot.

Dammit.

Reaction Score
Didn't see this before I started my little player rant - spot on Fishman!

Reaction Score
I was a little surprised to see you have a point #4, .

was about to post this same though on #4, lol

was there a u c o n n chant on the board for yale?

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
would a finely tuned Yacht and Ferrari both playing at 100% solve a few problems? I'm going with yes

how about more experience for DHam and KFac? seems plausible, another yes in my world (I will concede experienced doesn't seemed to have helped Nolan)

I suspect time will heal a few wounds, although we have bombed 5 out of 5 seasons after playing in the Final Four (that's one tradition we need to break)

Curiouser
Reaction Score
This is the biggest concern to me. I was also surprised to see Ollie's comments the other day about spending more time in the gym, and then last night's comments definitely took that a step further.

The only thing I know is that he is not talking about Ryan. But they all will suffer--as they should.

Ollie wasn't even close to being this down when it looked like the wheels were coming off last year after the Stanford-Houston-SMU debacles; hell, that's when he took them to AT&T Stadium and we all thought he was delusional. It is very concerning to me this early in the season that he does not appear to see the raw material in his locker room. If he doesn't believe, that makes it very hard for me to have much hope for any significant improvement this season.

As for Omar, there was a fleeting moment when I was at the Texas game when I thought he looked far too comfortable in street clothes, and I couldn't even remember what he looked like in a uniform any more. I have a feeling that will be prophetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom