Thoughts On The Big East...New ACC Divisions | The Boneyard

Thoughts On The Big East...New ACC Divisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Agree that the inevitable breakup of the BE isn't ideal, but were many people excited when we added Cincinnati, USF, WVU (not great in hoops at the time)? Face it, our conference has gotten too unwieldy, and the ACC is much preferable to a Big 12/C-USA/BE "leftover league".

Love it or hate it, the ACC does have:
*** a pretty good history (established in 1953)
*** excellent on-campus venues (Duke, UNC, Virginia, Maryland, Wake Forest)
*** basketball tradition (although BE certainly has been riding high lately in terms of success)

Who could complain about these divisions? (hear that BE...divisions!)

NORTH:
BC
Maryland
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse
UConn
Va. Tech
Virginia

SOUTH:
Clemson
Duke
FSU
Georgia Tech
Miami
NC State
North Carolina
Wake Forest

*** Basketball (18 games total): Play each team in division twice (14 games) and 4 of the other division's 8 teams once each, rotating every 2 years. Invite all 16 teams to league tournament (MSG and Charlotte rotate).

*** Football (9 games): Play each team in division (7 games) and 2 of the other division's 8 teams, rotating every 4 years.

Scheduling negatives: In basketball, you'd get UNC/Duke only once every 2 years (and at home only once every 4 years) and in football it would take 4 years to rotate through each team in the South division and 8 years to get each team in South at home.

Scheduling positives: Still retain our rivalries with Syracuse and Pitt and add MD/BC as good rivalries. 18-game league schedule would still allow 2-3 non-league games per year vs. the likes of SJ, 'Nova, G'town, PC (face it: L'ville and Marquette weren't even on our radar until a few years ago...gotta give up something.)

Divisions would foster rivalries and would make the league tournament/football cahmpionship game truly exciting as we'd be playing teams in other divisions we had only played once every 2-4 years.

At this point, it's no use looking backwards. The BE served its purpose, but was always a hodgepodge of a league in terms of many teams playing in arenas not even on campus (G'town, 'Nova's bigger games, us at XL) that lacked great atmosphere. Granted, MSG was the mecca, but let's not forget that the league tournament used to rotate sites.

Thoughts???

Reaction Score
The ACC just makes sense, especially with the divisions the way they are. We would actually have to travel less overall (I think) and get to keep local rivalries. Plus there is nothing to stop us from scheduling games against our basketball only friends.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Agree that the inevitable breakup of the BE isn't ideal, but were many people excited when we added Cincinnati, USF, WVU (not great in hoops at the time)? Face it, our conference has gotten too unwieldy, and the ACC is much preferable to a Big 12/C-USA/BE "leftover league".

Love it or hate it, the ACC does have:
*** a pretty good history (established in 1953)
*** excellent on-campus venues (Duke, UNC, Virginia, Maryland, Wake Forest)
*** basketball tradition (although BE certainly has been riding high lately in terms of success)

Who could complain about these divisions? (hear that BE...divisions!)

NORTH:
BC
Maryland
Pitt
Rutgers
Syracuse
UConn
Va. Tech
Virginia

SOUTH:
Clemson
Duke
FSU
Georgia Tech
Miami
NC State
North Carolina
Wake Forest

*** Basketball (18 games total): Play each team in division twice (14 games) and 4 of the other division's 8 teams once each, rotating every 2 years. Invite all 16 teams to league tournament (MSG and Charlotte rotate).

*** Football (9 games): Play each team in division (7 games) and 2 of the other division's 8 teams, rotating every 4 years.

Scheduling negatives: In basketball, you'd get UNC/Duke only once every 2 years (and at home only once every 4 years) and in football it would take 4 years to rotate through each team in the South division and 8 years to get each team in South at home.

Scheduling positives: Still retain our rivalries with Syracuse and Pitt and add MD/BC as good rivalries. 18-game league schedule would still allow 2-3 non-league games per year vs. the likes of SJ, 'Nova, G'town, PC (face it: L'ville and Marquette weren't even on our radar until a few years ago...gotta give up something.)

Divisions would foster rivalries and would make the league tournament/football cahmpionship game truly exciting as we'd be playing teams in other divisions we had only played once every 2-4 years.

At this point, it's no use looking backwards. The BE served its purpose, but was always a hodgepodge of a league in terms of many teams playing in arenas not even on campus (G'town, 'Nova's bigger games, us at XL) that lacked great atmosphere. Granted, MSG was the mecca, but let's not forget that the league tournament used to rotate sites.

Thoughts???
It beats the snot out of being in a conference with Baylor and UCF.

Reaction Score
The North/South split is more for football because it makes the most sense logistically and keeps natural rivals together. I'd much rather play BCU than NCST. In bball we would play everybody so I don't see that being an issue.

Oh and on edit: F Notre Dame. I see absolutely no reason to keep them in any way shape or form. A basketball conference with Uconn, Dook, UNC, Cuse, and Pitt doesn't need ND.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Worry about the ACC if UConn gets into the ACC.

We're putting the cart before the horse here. And the cart has one wheel and someone shot our horse.

Reaction Score
I'm old-school and thus enjoy the 2-division setup for basketball. But I can live with an 18-game schedule consisting of playing every team once and 3 rivals twice (or 2 rivals, one random).

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Wake doesn't play on campus.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
UNC will play Duke twice in your scenario

I think money and tradition will dictate that they play each other twice every year regardless

as for everything else, I'm numb

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score

We're putting the cart before the horse here. And the cart has one wheel and someone shot our horse.
I'd rather be blissfully ignorant for a couple of days instead of facing that reality. We will have an eternity to contemplate what happens if we our left behind.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'd rather be blissfully ignorant for a couple of days instead of facing that reality. We will have an eternity to contemplate what happens if we our left behind.

UConn will not be left behind. It just ain't happening.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
I hope you are right but right now the cup is looking half empty.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
Well thought out post. It's tough to wrap your head around the demise of the BEast, but it's not all doom and gloom if UConn can join up with the ACC.

Reaction Score
Will any of us care what the ACC looks like if we are not part of it? This is bad mojo.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Will any of us care what the ACC looks like if we are not part of it? This is bad mojo.
UConn will come out fine in bb with most every scenario. Football is the problem. But I agree it is tempting the gods by counting the chicken before it hatches.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Fishy & Excalibur, why so negative?

Just a desire not to be overly optimistic?

Reaction Score
Right now there is no indication we will be invited anywhere- it is very bad mojo to talk about things that have not happened yet on the boneyard. It's like saying "when we win the FF where are we going to drink"? Fishy has good sources- I have not heard anything yet either- not a peep.
That's all.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I don't get the warm fuzzys at all from Swofford right now. I've seen articles that talk about Rutgers being more desirable than UConn and while I think the premise is ridiculous, it indicates doubt. We can't be blinded by our basketball relevance. This is about $ and markets.

The questions that will be asked of UConn right or wrong: Can we sustain our success after Calhoun and how high is the ceiling on our infant football program? There is not smoking gun answers to those questions. The fact that our athletic future rests in the hands of those elitists and rat traitors makes me sick.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
One thing to consider with UNC and dook. There's gonna be competing factions wanting them to play twice a year in hoopers (same division) and others wanting to make sure they don't see each other in the ACC tournament until the finals.

That's why I think dook goes to the Northern divsion and Virginia goes south.

North

BCU
Uconn
Syracuse
RU
Pitt
Maryland
Va Teach
dook

South

UNC
UVA
NCSU
WFU
Clemson
GT
FSU
Miami

Reaction Score

I had to login just to "like" this. Needed a good laugh, and Fishy doesn't disappoint.

Reaction Score
Nomar: I think my position is short term pessimism, long term optimism. I just think that the ACC is going to stand pat for a while and the B1G is a real long shot. IF the ACC decides to take on two more, and those two aren't Texas and UND, then we will be one of the preferred targets. I just don't see it happening in the short term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom