Thoughts on Shockers | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Shockers

Reaction Score
Effort was better but there are no moral victories at this level or in UCONNs position.

We only have 3 players that are capable of doing anything. Everyone else gives you nothing.

Jalen Adams regression physically is why our offense looks so bad. Unable to beat his man off the dribble, can't make open shots and doesn't create good shots for anybody. Not to mention terrible body language.

Difference in the game was Shamet as I said, and Marshall recruiting guys who have a skill whether it's shooting or being a lunch pail effort guy. That was it. Guys knew their roles and Shamet is talented enough to kill you from the perimeter and being able to create good shots for guys who can make them when open.

PS: We got lucky that Macduffie is coming off injury and is not really himself yet or this would have been a 20 point blowout.

Reaction Score
Wichita State has good spacing and good ball movement and they take good open shots a high percentage of the time. UConn has absolutely none of that because our head coach has absolutely no mind for offense.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
They have an awesome team.
A team including guys who hit open 3s with consistency. What a concept.

Reaction Score
Or
Wichita State has good spacing and good ball movement and they take good open shots a high percentage of the time. UConn has absolutely none of that because our head coach has absolutely no mind for offense.
assets to use. Our Best shooters are not very good. Adams Larrier and vital. What secret offense shall he run or wwjcd?

Reaction Score
Or

assets to use. Our Best shooters are not very good. Adams Larrier and vital. What secret offense shall he run or wwjcd?
There doesn't have to be any "secret" offense. A gameplan focused on sharing the ball and setting some screens for shooters would be light years better than the hero ball that KO relies on. Watch game film of 5 Wichita State games and 5 of UConn's games. You will see a huge difference in the level of teamwork and consequently results. If you didn't see that today, you are lost.

Reaction Score
There doesn't have to be any "secret" offense. A gameplan focused on sharing the ball and setting some screens for shooters would be light years better than the hero ball that KO relies on. Watch game film of 5 Wichita State games and 5 of UConn's games. You will see a huge difference in the level of teamwork and consequently results. If you didn't see that today, you are lost.
I am agreeing and I’m far from lost. Just not irate. Great sets and moving the ball don’t matter if guys cannot shoot. WSU has shooters. We have 3 “scorers”. I saw quite a few hedges off os back screens all over the floor ( mainly Cobb) but our screening too far away affects our offensive rebounding as well. We need more polish for sure. But we also need something more to polish. Teams just have to wait us out , like last year, until our scorers fatigue.

Reaction Score
They reminded me of Uconn when we used to have a men's basketball program.

Reaction Score
You have to be old, or talented to win in college bball. They are both. We are neither at this point.

Reaction Score

I can't imagine ollie cant draw that kind of set. I can draw an effective set of plays for these guys, and I don't get paid anywhere near 3,000,000 a year to coach. Try 1/100th of that, lol.

You could see early in the game some wheel action, baseline screens for larrier, to set up PnR.

I think the problem is respect and buy-in from the players. Theyre not FINISHING the sets and resorting to hero ball. This has been alluded Tyler Phommachanh by Jalen, Larrier, even Akinjo in interviews.

Also, personnel management. We dont have the bigs who can set the necessary screens, or the shooters to space the floor and make this work. Regardless of injuries, transfer, etc. Player management is on the coaching staff. I love Diarra and Whaley, but their abilities dont suit this offense. Same with williams.

Personally, I like vital as a 6th man. I'm sold that Carlton could get there. Polley is a tough read still.

Our focus needed to be on 3* players who can finish a PnR with effiency if we wanted an offense like this.

Or

Design an offense that allows for scrappier, tougher play from the bigs. Add some flex cuts, Ucla cuts, run an out of bounds play that.actually attempts to score--but that would take Jalen out of his game. He is elite on the PnR driving to the hoop.

Reaction Score
I can't imagine ollie cant draw that kind of set. I can draw an effective set of plays for these guys, and I don't get paid anywhere near 3,000,000 a year to coach. Try 1/100th of that, lol.

You could see early in the game some wheel action, baseline screens for larrier, to set up PnR.

I think the problem is respect and buy-in from the players. Theyre not FINISHING the sets and resorting to hero ball. This has been alluded Tyler Phommachanh by Jalen, Larrier, even Akinjo in interviews.

Also, personnel management. We dont have the bigs who can set the necessary screens, or the shooters to space the floor and make this work. Regardless of injuries, transfer, etc. Player management is on the coaching staff. I love Diarra and Whaley, but their abilities dont suit this offense. Same with williams.

Personally, I like vital as a 6th man. I'm sold that Carlton could get there. Polley is a tough read still.

Our focus needed to be on 3* players who can finish a PnR with effiency if we wanted an offense like this.

Or

Design an offense that allows for scrappier, tougher play from the bigs. Add some flex cuts, Ucla cuts, run an out of bounds play that.actually attempts to score--but that would take Jalen out of his game. He is elite on the PnR driving to the hoop.
Paragraph 3 is my whole point of why good sets don’t matter if you can’t convert. It may be worse as your forcing guys out of their respective comfort zones. Failing will cause them to abandon ship even if the philosophy and intent are correct. It is a real hurdle for any coach. And not having a real distributor to set up Adams vital and Larrier in good spots is a killer. Not much you can do. And for all these turkeys whining about not going after guards. Makai left at a bad time and Pickens were slim. We did try to get some shooters but they didn’t want to ride the pine behind our current guys. Sorry no 3/4 stars hanging around. And if I recall everyone had mad love for aa due to his clutchness. I have never seen this many curveballs happen to anyone save tiger woods?

Reaction Score
I am agreeing and I’m far from lost. Just not irate. Great sets and moving the ball don’t matter if guys cannot shoot. WSU has shooters. We have 3 “scorers”. I saw quite a few hedges off os back screens all over the floor ( mainly Cobb) but our screening too far away affects our offensive rebounding as well. We need more polish for sure. But we also need something more to polish. Teams just have to wait us out , like last year, until our scorers fatigue.

Part of the reason UConn has a low shooting percentage is based on the quality of the looks they get. Great ball movement gets more wide open looks, a few more go in, confidence builds and perhaps the team is noticeably better on the offensive end. I also think the defensive intensity would go up because more players on the floor would be fully engaged.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Everyone KO recruits is either 6-7 180 or 5-7 160 and none of them can shoot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member