Thoughts on next year | The Boneyard

Thoughts on next year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
warning, some people may not like this....

What are the odds Boat is this year's Dyson, not Purvis? What are the odds DHam next year turns into 2002 caron Butler, TSam turns into 2002 Taliek Brown, Jalen Adams is 2002 Ben Gordon? We know Brimah next year will be as good as freshman Okafor. A senior Phil Nolan can't be worse than Selvie, right?

Am I being too optimistic in hoping Boat, as talented as he is simply isn't a leader and next year's team will closely resemble that '02 team?

Reaction Score
Let's play best case/worst case. Shall we?
[Green Day Minority]

Best case:
Jalen Adams is the real deal. Comes in and is an effective DI point guard. Can handle, score when needed, and distribute. Is strong on the ball. Solid defender.
Brimah develops a minimal inside game. Can post up, shoot 50% on baby hooks, drop steps, and dunks. Defense improves at same rate as 1st two years. Stays in games without fouling. Rebounding improves.
DHam stays on NBA trajectory. Stat stuffing machine. All numbers increase by 20-25%. Becomes an axe murderer on offense, and is LeBron- esque in his ability to involve his teammates.
TSam moves his effective range out 10 feet and gets his 3pt shot to 35%.
Purvis becomes mentally stronger - has an impact in every game, even if shot not falling. Is good for 3 boards, 3 assists, 1 steal, and lock down D every game, and scores 8-15 points a game, without having 1 for 12 games.
We pick up 2 guard who can be strong on ball and play [blink182 i miss you] good D.
Calhoun has solid senior season as BU hitting 35% of 3s or higher, and all around improved game.
SWEET 16 or better.

Worst Case:
Jalen Adams is not quite as good as advertised. Struggles as a freshman with the speed of the D-I game. Too many turnovers, not enough assists.
Brimah - Same player as this year. Weak on boards. Foul trouble no occasion. No inside game.
DHam - Even in worst case scenario he's a stud.
TSam - marginal improvement to next year. Still can't shoot. Defender slags off 8 feet and clogs the lane.
Purvis - Jekyll and Hyde continues. Giveth and Taketh away. 1 for 12 games cost several winnable games during the year. Does not improve court awareness. Disappears almost entirely from some games.
We don't pick up any ball handlers. Adams is not DI ready, Purvis and TSam are ineffective with the ball, and DHam again has to shoulder too much ball handling. Result is stagnant offense that struggles to get shots.
Calhoun ends career as one of the biggest WTF players in UConn history.
STRUGGLE to make tourni. First round bounce.

It'll be [hoobastank - the reason] interesting. That's for sure.

Reaction Score
Not very optimistic about next year. Relying on a freshmen to play like Boat or Bazz now is a long shot. That would make him our best freshmen ever.

We need Stone and Newman to be good and that's not going to happen.

Reaction Score
We lost a bunch of games on last minute poor execution or bad luck, so based solely on regression to the mean I expect us to win more of those kinds of games next year. Boatright has done what he could, but a lot of problems were caused by the sloppiness of other members of the team. Those players will be more experienced next year. Adams doesn't need to play like Boat or Shabazz, he just has to be solid with the ball while the others improve their stability.

Reaction Score
Not very optimistic about next year. Relying on a freshmen to play like Boat or Bazz now is a long shot. That would make him our best freshmen ever.

We need Stone and Newman to be good and that's not going to happen.
To be good? Nah.

They need Hamilton and Brimah to make the projected jumps, Purvis to be more consistent (he'll always be inconsistent, but he can't have as many stinkers as he has this season), and Calhoun and Facey need to become dependable role players. And, of course, Jalen will have to be an impact point guard right away.

That's a ton of ifs that need to work out, but they'll be much more experienced and the talent is there for them to at least be good.

To be great, though? Yeah, they'll need Stone.

Reaction Score
Call me optimistic but I think we will be significantly better next year. With another season of college ball under our belts, an offseason to work on things, and a strong recruiting class we should be a lot better. The coaching staff sees areas where we need to improve and I will be shocked if we don't add two more good players to an already strong class. We have lost so many close games this year due to lack of experience I think we win these sort of games next year. Also, the team seemingly plays better when Boat is on the bench. Don't take that the wrong way it's not Boat's fault, but they stand around on offense and ask him to bail them out when he's in. There is a much more balanced attack when he is out for limited time. I just think a core of Amida, Adams, Dham and Purvis is too talented to not to roll the AAC next year. The chemistry will be a lot better with this year of experience together.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
nobody expected the 2010-2011 team do be undeafeated OOC and do what they did... no one expected kemba to turn into kemba... it's up to the kids to put in the time and effort during the offseason and not take a game off during the season... they need to play with a massive chip on their shoulder, they need to play pissed off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom