Thoughts from a Tenn fan/Stanford-Tenn [merged] | The Boneyard

Thoughts from a Tenn fan/Stanford-Tenn [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey, before you get your hackles up, I have grown to like UConn's program quite a bit, and UT's less over the years, but I AM a Tenn hick, so will probably never go away from it completely.

Anyway, my thought on Baylor: I watched the game, and re-watched again on ESPN3.com. What did I see??

Virtually NO picking of Griner. She roamed the backline freely, was able to pull off Dolson and go after the UConn slashers.

Here's how I'd approach it, when you have great athletes like UConn:
-pick or screen her EVERY time she runs down court, multiple times
-on 'Dives', pick her not once, but twice: first with Dolson/Buck, then with a guard
-ALWAYS keep a body between her and your shooter; make the refs call it
-ALWAYS play behind her on defense...let her shoot, maybe she'll score 80...but do NOT let her on the offensive glass.

I won't waste a bunch of your time; I do believe UConn and Baylor will meet again. UConn has a GREAT offense, and 'skeeter'??? She is special. Way special. UConn is the best TEAM in the country, while Griner/Sims are the best PAIR in the country.

Good luck guys, what a fantastic offense!!!

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Speaking of Tennessee, I liked Jeff Van Gundy's idea that the best teams in the country should have to play each other, not only once but twice. UConn/Tennessee should be mandatory. I have no idea how it would be implemented, but if women's basketball is to rise in importance something has to give.

Reaction Score
Speaking of Tennessee, I liked Jeff Van Gundy's idea that the best teams in the country should have to play each other, not only once but twice. UConn/Tennessee should be mandatory. I have no idea how it would be implemented, but if women's basketball is to rise in importance something has to give.
Not for me. The women's game is changing, though I do feel it's losing a lot of great athletes to volleyball and soccer.

UConn and UT won't dominate forever. Pat's almost done, and Geno?? Who knows when he'll tire of it. Griner is a rarity, so most of the game will go back to below the rim.

In short, Van Gundy is playing with gimmicks. The biggest mistake the women's game can make is become 'men-lite' with their game.

Same goes for Doris Burke and her soapbox on the 10-sec line. That line is a relic from the no shot-clock days, and, if you waste time behind the line now, you have less time to run your offense.

So,.....I'd just be happy to see the women's game keep focusing on fundamental ball and build from there. It will never be the men's game.... and I, for one, and dang glad for that.

Reaction Score
BTW, on Van Gundy...

I think last year with A&M was a perfect example of why I think he's BS sometimes. A&M didn't really enter a lot of conversations as a 'best' team...yet, with their dirt-bag play, they won it all.

Like I said, the game is growing, and if appeal is kept to female athletes it will only get better.

Reaction Score
It won't happen. If the top 10 teams play each other twice, and split the games, the top 10 teams will then have 9 losses each. Let's say the 11th ranked team, while not playing any top 10 team goes undefeated. Let's say their final regular season record is 26-0. Would you give them a #1 seed?
It's all about a National championship, and what you do to get there. Is it right that the 2 top rated teams in the Big East play each other 2x?
For fan appeal, and Television, yes...otherwise, no. It gives an advantage to other teams in the league.
Don't tell me that Van Gundy has been following WCBB for 25 years. He is just a newcomer, "with all the answers."

Reaction Score
Hey, before you get your hackles up, I have grown to like UConn's program quite a bit, and UT's less over the years, but I AM a Tenn hick, so will probably never go away from it completely.

Anyway, my thought on Baylor: I watched the game, and re-watched again on ESPN3.com. What did I see??

Virtually NO picking of Griner. She roamed the backline freely, was able to pull off Dolson and go after the UConn slashers.

-on 'Dives', pick her not once, but twice: first with Dolson/Buck, then with a guard
-ALWAYS play behind her on defense...let her shoot, maybe she'll score 80...but do NOT let her on the offensive glass.

I won't waste a bunch of your time; I do believe UConn and Baylor will meet again. UConn has a GREAT offense, and 'skeeter'??? She is special. Way special. UConn is the best TEAM in the country, while Griner/Sims are the best PAIR in the country.

Thanks for posting. Interesting analysis

Reaction Score
Not for me. The women's game is changing, though I do feel it's losing a lot of great athletes to volleyball and soccer.

UConn and UT won't dominate forever. Pat's almost done, and Geno?? Who knows when he'll tire of it. Griner is a rarity, so most of the game will go back to below the rim.

In short, Van Gundy is playing with gimmicks. The biggest mistake the women's game can make is become 'men-lite' with their game.

Same goes for Doris Burke and her soapbox on the 10-sec line. That line is a relic from the no shot-clock days, and, if you waste time behind the line now, you have less time to run your offense.

So,.....I'd just be happy to see the women's game keep focusing on fundamental ball and build from there. It will never be the men's game.... and I, for one, and dang glad for that.

Man, I like your ideas. There are at least a few of us on this board who believe that the woman's game is different from the men's and that's why we watch it. I'd like to see Uconn and TN play again. Who wouldn't? But to force those games to happen amounts to the kind of fakery that has gotten football its current amazingly complex and nearly unfathomable bowl situation.

Would you always have UConn/TN and UConn/Baylor, and for two games each? Even when one of these teams was haviong an off year? If Van Gundy wants to shill for ESPN's agenda, all well and good. After all, they pay his salary. What's good for ESPN is not necessarily good for women's college basketball. I for one would rather have UConn and TN play because the two teams decide it's right for them.

Reaction Score
UT/UConn will play again; I did not agree with or like that Pat canceled the series.

If she had evidence of Geno cheating, then that should have been handled in the proper channels, but NOT at the expense of the women who play the game.

I know a lot more about Geno now than I did even a few years back, so I think it has more to do with a personal issue than a "rules" deal.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. Interesting analysis
Thanks;
but, seriously, watch if again if you can.

No team picks Griner enough. Me, I'd want to create the switch, and in any case, ALWAYS have a body between her and my shooter, even if that body is another Baylor defender.

As for screening her in other parts of the court: sure, it's nagging her, annoying her, but it is also wearing her down and keeping her out of a smooth flow.

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
It won't happen. If the top 10 teams play each other twice, and split the games, the top 10 teams will then have 9 losses each. Let's say the 11th ranked team, while not playing any top 10 team goes undefeated. Let's say their final regular season record is 26-0. Would you give them a #1 seed?
It's all about a National championship, and what you do to get there. Is it right that the 2 top rated teams in the Big East play each other 2x?
For fan appeal, and Television, yes...otherwise, no. It gives an advantage to other teams in the league.
Don't tell me that Van Gundy has been following WCBB for 25 years. He is just a newcomer, "with all the answers."

There is a reason that Van Gundy is a FORMER coach - He didn't really have all the answers.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I wouldn't mind seeing Tennessee on the schedule,however I didnt like the 2 games a season thing like they used to do.....it was too much.....

Reaction Score

Thanks, Neutral Site...great to have your perspective.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

There's a big difference between Doris Burke's idea about the way the game is played, and Van Gundy's proposal for more competition in women's basketball. OK, maybe two games a year between top teams is too much. But the idea that the top women's basketball teams should play each other is not turning the women's game into "men's lite." That's absurd. So, having some real competitive games makes it like the men's game? Come on.

I've been watching UConn (and other women's teams when on national TV) for years now and the games between the most competitive schools are thrilling. Just like our game the other night vs. Baylor. We lost, but I was on the edge of my seat for the first time in a long time in watching a UConn game. On the other hand, watching the Huskies (or other top schools) destroy a minor basketball team by 30-40 points, which happens far too often in the schedule, is not exactly exciting competition and it drags the game down.

And as for UConn and Tennessee fading into oblivion someday, well what has that got to do with the proposal? It was for the best of the moment. That could be any school whether it be Ohio State, Oklahoma, UCLA, Maryland, or even Old Dominion. If they're among the best, then the women's game needs more competitive games. Can you really argue, with a straight face, that the women's game should go on at its current level with the real competition coming in the late stages of the NCAA championship?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i was reading the tennessee board for the thread to see how the game was progressing. they went out to a 8 point lead or so, and then Stanford came back. all the comments about home cooking, etc, blame the refs, blame the refs, blame the refs. come on. you got crunched by 17. news flash - it's NOT the refs. a 13 page thread with about 30% of the posts crying about the refs. seriously? Stanford called for 16 fouls, Tennessee for 15. Tennessee 22-29 from the FT line. Stanford 14-16.

i'm not sure too many UCONN fans predicted a total smackdown tho. i'm sure we'll all hear about how they didn't have Massengale. she wouldn't have made a difference. Stanford was without Camp. and Ariel doesn't account for a 20 point smackdown. neither are the refs to blame. Tennessee called for 14 fouls, Stanford for 16 with about 1 minute left in the game.

maybe it's time for some fans to realize tennessee has never taught offense. and they aren't big, strong, or overly athletic enough to rely on defense and O-boards to win. in fact, Stanford beat tennessee at it's own game - 30 boards (13 O) to 25 (9 O). and come on. a technical foul in the first half for having too many players on the court? i'm not sure that even happens in high school hoops.

i mean Stanford almost put up a C-note on tennessee. where was the defense? i'm sure tenn fans can console themselves with "well, we'll get Ariel back and be better by the end of the year". keep dreaming big. this team lost no starter to graduation and already has as many losses this year than they had all of last year. oh, and they added, in their mind, the best recruiting class in the nation. actually let me rephrase that - Brewer did start their last game vs. ND, but she played 8 minutes. not exactly a big loss from that perspective.

this is simply not a great tennessee program any more. sure they are a top 10 team. but they aren't sniffing the final 4 until things change in Knoxville. they have more talent on paper than anyone in the country, at least if you go by how highly the kids were rated in HS and how many HS AA's they have. yet the degree of underachievement is spectacularly on display.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
This was a poor effort by a very individually talented Tenn Team. Of course Nnemkadi Oguwmike having a great game didn't help. Nneka was hitting shots from all over the floor and if I recall correctly she make 11 or 12 shots in a row. She wasn't going to allow her team to lose.

Great convincing win by Stanford. The margin of victory definitely helps their NCAA Tournament Seeding.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Box says Ariel was in for an ineffective 11 minutes. Is that an accurate assessment?

Reaction Score
Tennessee shot almost 50% and got to the line 29 times, the fouls were even. The game was not lost on offense. UConn may have beaten Stanford this season, but it is not a team I would want to see again; Especially if the third option shows up as she did tonight.

Tennessee is not that good right now. But, I was not overly impressed with them in 2008 either. Kentucky will be another barometer. I like Kentucky's frenetic pace. Win or lose, it is entertaining.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Tennessee shot almost 50% and got to the line 29 times, the fouls were even. The game was not lost on offense. UConn may have beaten Stanford this season, but it is not a team I would want to see again; Especially if the third option shows up as she did tonight.

Tennessee is not that good right now. But, I was not overly impressed with them in 2008 either. Kentucky will be another barometer. I like Kentucky's frenetic pace. Win or lose, it is entertaining.
i agree, but tennessee's problem was on the defensive side. Alicia Manning on Nneka? come on. you basically have to guard 3 players - Nneka, Toni, and Chiney. at least in this game. how about some double teams? put your most athletic and tall defender on Nneka and then double team her. i'm not sure exactly what the coaches did, but i think this may be also partly due to the coaching by committee and lack of game plan or in-game adjustments. future recruits, take note!!!

Reaction Score
Tennessee needs to address the coaching situation sooner rather than later. This whole season could blow up and could have a lasting insurmountable effect on the program. Coach Summitt is the face of the program. Right now, she and her cherished program need to save face.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom