Thought on how we can utilize NIL. | The Boneyard

Thought on how we can utilize NIL.

Reaction Score
After seeing how teams like Texas A&M are utilizing NIL to basically buy recruiting classes, I started to think about ways that we can effectively do the same. I have no idea logistically how this would work or if it even could work. However, I feel as if our situation is unique in that the University doesn’t own the stadium that we play in. The stadium is an asset of the state and it is being underutilized do to the lack of performance on the field. So what if the state put 2 million dollars a year towards UConn football NIL, offer money to players on the team (starters) and top level recruits. Recruiting will improve, which should improve the product on the field, which would then boost attendance. Win win for both parties the state would make more money off higher attendance, and the football team would be drastically improved. Maybe this is wishful thinking or not even possible but I thought I would just throw that out there.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
TL:DR.

UConn is free to do whatever it wants. Using funds from the state or public money to pay football players is going to be a non-starter.

Getting private citizens who have the disposable money to "endow" a football player, an entire class or any other combo, is what will have to be done.

Reaction Score
NIL is going to be a pain. I think it would be abused by the TA&Ms of the world. I hope it'll not be a CF death spiralm

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
CT adopted a comparatively strict NIL law and UConn an equally restrictive NIL policy.

Whether that was just for show or intended to be applied as stated is TBD.

We are behind the NIL curve when every decent UConn athlete should be hawking for local businesses, some of which are actually quite large.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How about every yarder pays $50+ per year for TheBoneyard and Tom can use the money for NIL Payments to players to promote the Yard!!
As part of the deal players would agreed to do video interviews on BY private channel with our crack team of podcaster‘s hosting. I actually think this could be an idea that works. maybe have them wear Boneyard authorized gear which could then be sold by vendors who pay a fee to be official Boneyard clothing vendors.

If you really wanna make some money do a special pay-per-view with Jackson getting his haircut at Supercuts… It’s all coming together…

Reaction Score
My limited understanding is that the intent of NIL is for the athletes to be free to pursue opportunities for their NIL outside of University, presumably from private interests. It's absolutely laughable to me to think that the schools are not going to arrange all of this. Think of the cheating that went on when these kids weren't supposed to get money at all.

Reaction Score
I've said it before but I'd prefer we focus on position groups and businesses that can relate to what they do.

OL - Strength, Protection
RB - Evasive, Vision
WR's- Speed, Leaping Grabbing (opportunities)
QB - Leadership, Quick Decisions

Getting my drift? Do the research, find companies that are excited about Football, UConn and have some synergy between their advertising needs and our marketing strategy. I don't think we'll see the level of "charity" giving other programs can generate, but a good business model and the level of outreach needed can put us in a competitive position. There's no financial reason we can't do this here in CT. But we need to be focused.

Search out growing companies public and private. Find their advertising niche and see if the decision makers are receptive. The University should have representatives doing this right now. I just feel position groups keep this simple and except for the rare player can be managed more easily and equitably. EVERYONE in the AD should know what's going on with all the teams and have a guidebook or contact info at the ready. If parts of the fanbase or alums want to help out we should also know who to talk to and how to proceed. If this is not organized professionally from within and without it will be a mess. My .02

One more thing and it may seem unrelated. Can we have a Practice or 2 in different parts of the State? Maybe 1 different County each year? How about one in Norwalk or Danbury? Waterbury, Bridgeport? Just one Saturday each Spring or Fall? I know it's a distraction but we need to do outreach across the State and get businesses involved with that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
...One more thing and it may seem unrelated. Can we have a Practice or 2 in different parts of the State? Maybe 1 different County each year? How about one in Norwalk or Danbury? Waterbury, Bridgeport? Just one Saturday each Spring or Fall? I know it's a distraction but we need to do outreach across the State and get businesses involved with that.
We used to do that. The one year I was a walk-on we had a spring practice/scrimmage down a the Surf Club in Madison. It was packed with coaches/high school players.

Reaction Score
We used to do that. The one year I was a walk-on we had a spring practice/scrimmage down a the Surf Club in Madison. It was packed with coaches/high school players.

Great idea. Remember when Fulmer had Tennessee practice in Memphis just to recruit Michael Oher?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom