This Year's X-Factor - Rodney Purvis | The Boneyard

This Year's X-Factor - Rodney Purvis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ideally, Calhoun would improve his D, improve his shot, improve his dribble , improve his passing, and improve his decision making, thus becoming a starter in place of Purvis.

Realistically, Calhoun is going to be coming off the bench for his final 1.2 years as a Husky, and Purvis is going to play minutes over him.

With that in mind, for the balance of the season, this team will go where Rodney goes. He is the "X-Factor" this year.

There was a stat a few weeks ago that UConn is X wins and Y losses when Rodney scores more than Z points. No doubt.

For our limited goals for this year (mine is to simply make the tourni and win one game), we need Hot Rod to have at least decent games.

He has struggled against the top competition this year.

If he can come out and have a decent game today - limit turnovers, don't get lost on D running under screens (he did that after our 6-0 run at the start of the E.C. game and his guy hit a 3 to start an E.C. counter run), pull down a couple boards, drive the lane and dish for 1 or 2 assists, we'll win this game. If he comes out and puts up a clunker, then we lose. We just don't have the bench personnel to overcome a 1 for 7 from 3, 2 TO, 1 assist type game from Rod.

Come on man! You can do this!

It the DD effect. When an important cog plays hot and cold, he becomes, de facto, your X factor.

Reaction Score
My concern for RP is the basketball IQ or lack there of he has showed so far this year. He has the heart- he is a great athlete with great skills but he just can't seem to do the right things at the right times consistently.
The good news -if it is mental it can be fixed.

I do agree that what we have been missing is one of RP, OC or SCJ stepping up and making a. significant different this year. Hard to win with three guys doing all the scoring and when none of those are your 2 G.

Reaction Score
Ideally, Calhoun would improve his D, improve his shot, improve his dribble , improve his passing, and improve his decision making, thus becoming a starter in place of Purvis.

Realistically, Calhoun is going to be coming off the bench for his final 1.2 years as a Husky, and Purvis is going to play minutes over him.

With that in mind, for the balance of the season, this team will go where Rodney goes. He is the "X-Factor" this year.

There was a stat a few weeks ago that UConn is X wins and Y losses when Rodney scores more than Z points. No doubt.

For our limited goals for this year (mine is to simply make the tourni and win one game), we need Hot Rod to have at least decent games.

He has struggled against the top competition this year.

If he can come out and have a decent game today - limit turnovers, don't get lost on D running under screens (he did that after our 6-0 run at the start of the E.C. game and his guy hit a 3 to start an E.C. counter run), pull down a couple boards, drive the lane and dish for 1 or 2 assists, we'll win this game. If he comes out and puts up a clunker, then we lose. We just don't have the bench personnel to overcome a 1 for 7 from 3, 2 TO, 1 assist type game from Rod.

Come on man! You can do this!

It the DD effect. When an important cog plays hot and cold, he becomes, de facto, your X factor.
Rodney had 19 in an impressive win over Dayton( they were in first place in a pretty decent A10 ) before he was injured in the West VA game.
Seemed to lose his cofidendence after the injury.
I agree if he plays like he did against Dayton and AB stays on the floor .
This is a pretty tough team.
The only thing is he doesn't have a good enough handle or shot to play the two
Especially if he has to take the burden off RB by become the 1 occasionally.
If he even had TSam's handle ,the team gets better exponentially.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm more into the x rated factor. You know the triple xxx.

Well maybe 4x.
1)Everything Cheeky stated for Rodney.
2)Dham playing 40 minutes of tight defense. He was the player KO reamed about defense in the ECU game at halftime. Rodney gave up the one three. DHam gave up quite a bit more
3)AB avoiding fouls and employing better footwork to score and rebound
4)Something from Rock, Kentan or Phil to take the pressure off of the other four players on the floor both on the offensive and defensive end.

I'm not going to check every game out but I'm sure that most of these weaknesses occurred in those losses so it's hard for me to single out one player's responsibility for the loss. It's a team sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC

Top Bottom