This Year's Schedule | The Boneyard

This Year's Schedule

On a scale of 1-5, how would you rank this OOC schedule as compared to previous years.

Votes: 2 10.5%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 6 31.6%

Votes: 10 52.6%

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I have been away for a little while. I'm trying to decide whether this is a weak OOC Schedule this year, or a quietly strong one. Obviously, at face value, there seems to be a lack of ranked opponents. When I look further though, 4 or 5 of these games (excluding Maryland) are against consensus top 40 teams. What are everyone's thoughts?

Reaction Score
We've got the great marquee games, but we've also still got quite a few cupcakes. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think both Lowell and someone else (Central, maybe) are both in like the bottom 10 of the 350+ teams in D-I. If we lose to Michigan, and don't get, say, Gonzaga or TAMU, then I'd give us a 3. If we perform well in the Bahamas and earn the right to play those other 2 meaningful games, could be as high as a 5, depending on how everyone does over the course of the season. As people have been hashing around a ton, Michigan is a real key to the early season.

Reaction Score
We've got the great marquee games, but we've also still got quite a few cupcakes. I don't remember the exact numbers, but I think both Lowell and someone else (Central, maybe) are both in like the bottom 10 of the 350+ teams in D-I. If we lose to Michigan, and don't get, say, Gonzaga or TAMU, then I'd give us a 3. If we perform well in the Bahamas and earn the right to play those other 2 meaningful games, could be as high as a 5, depending on how everyone does over the course of the season. As people have been hashing around a ton, Michigan is a real key to the early season.
I always say the Wichita State Maui game in 2010-2011 is one of the most underrated in our program's history. Winning that game against a good Shockers team allowed us to play #2 Michigan State and #8 Kentucky. Winning those games made that team realize how good they could be, and that gained confidence played a big part in their magical postseason run.

The Michigan game this year could be the 2015-2016 version of Wichita State. If we beat Michigan, we'll have the opportunity to have some good competition early in the year, which can serve as a litmus test of how good we really are.

We know that we have a lot of talented pieces on our team, and those pieces appear to fit together very well. But the players will need to figure out their roles early in the season given how our schedule is constructed. That Michigan game will have a lot of impact on our season.

TKs

Reaction Score
Agree 100% with that Wichita State game in Maui. Remember thinking we were going out on the 1st round when we trailed by 8 or 9 in 2nd half, then the Kemba Walker show began. The rest is history!

Reaction Score
Sorry if this has been posted before, but I have been away for a little while. I'm trying to decide whether this is a weak OOC Schedule this year, or a quietly strong one. Obviously, at face value, there seems to be a lack of ranked opponents. When I look further though, 4 or 5 of these games (excluding Maryland) are against consensus top 40 teams. What are everyone's thoughts?

Hmmm, I see a lot of ranked opponents.

Michigan is already ranked. If UConn beats Michigan, they face Syracuse. If they beat Syracuse, they take on 1 of 2 teams that are both ranked (Texas A&M and Gonzaga).

Ohio State, Georgetown and Texas are also considered to be pretty decent this year.

Maryland is top 3, obviously.

That's 7 games, 4 against ranked teams--if they beat Michigan.

Reaction Score
We've been a bit unlucky the last couple of years in terms of OOC schedule strength. Two years ago we beat Maryland, Indiana and Washington away from home (BC too, but it's BC) and none of those wins ended up being all that impressive on Selection Sunday. Then last year we beat Florida in Florida and it happens to be the one time in 20 years where beating Florida isn't all that impressive.

Granted you could argue that had these teams been better, maybe we lose some of those games. But I guess my point is that we're due for things to break the other way, which would mean teams like Ohio State, Texas, and Michigan exceed expectations rather than disappoint.

Reaction Score
Don't forget 2-3 games each against Cincinnati and SMU. Both teams should be top 20-30 range

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom