This year's BRATS | The Boneyard

This year's BRATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Every year I bring up the system of BRATS, first devised by Husky Blue and White in the early '90s. It's a quick way to measure a player's floor game although it is in no way a complete measure. Brats stand for blocks + rebounds + assists -
turnovers x2 , + steals x2. Therefore a score could actually be negative since turnovers are always 0 or a negative number.
A double figure +BRATS score is usually harder to achieve than a double figure points score.

The leading BRATS averages sofar this year are Stewie 13.8 ; Stef 12.3 ; Kiah 10.6 ; Little Mo 9.4 and Bria 8.2. If anyone out there is interested I'll post the other players' numbers.

I don't think I can ever remember a time when the three hightest BRATS scores are to the three tallest players on the team.

Reaction Score
HUSKY: interesting.....and interested.....count me in, and thank you.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
HUSKY: interesting.....and interested.....count me in, and thank you.
Thank You, winlots. The other players' BRATS score are Kaleena 5.8 ; Lefty Banks 4.3 ; Saniya 3.8 ; Morgan 1.7 ; Polly 0.9 and TL 0.7

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bill, how come steals are a negative since the steals recorded in stats are ones made by a player defensively which is a good thing plus steals are already counted as a TO if it is against you but I never see steals distributed against players?

Never mind, I just saw the comma.

Last edited:

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Thank You, winlots. The other players' BRATS score are Kaleena 5.8 ; Lefty Banks 4.3 ; Saniya 3.8 ; Morgan 1.7 ; Polly 0.9 and TL 0.7
HB, UTenn's Meighan Simmons just called to say she doesn't like that system since she's a 1.5. Maybe you could kind of ignore the TOs for her?

And Odyssey Sims rates behind all of the Husky starters at 7.7. Maybe you could help her out by rewarding FGAs?

Reaction Score
Bill, how come steals are a negative since the steals recorded in stats are ones made by a player defensively which is a good thing plus steals are already counted as a TO if it is against you but I never see steals distributed against players?

Steals aren't negative, they're added x2. (Blocks) + (Reb) + (Assists) - (TO)x2 + (Steals)x2

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Steals aren't negative, they're added x2. (Blocks) + (Reb) + (Assists) - (TO)x2 + (Steals)x2
Yeah, I missed the comma before the steals. Tiny on my phone.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Why are some stats multiplied by 2 and some not? :)

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
HB, UTenn's Meighan Simmons just called to say she doesn't like that system since she's a 1.5. Maybe you could kind of ignore the TOs for her?

And Odyssey Sims rates behind all of the Husky starters at 7.7. Maybe you could help her out by rewarding FGAs?
Sorry DR. I'm like those hated RPI Idiots. I just post the numbers according to the formula. I did just get back from S & S, but it was Stop and Shop, not Simmons and Sims.

At least the BRATS system has proven to be true in Simmons case (if your numbers are correct.) As many have suspected, her turnovers almost wipe out the good things she does.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Why are some stats multiplied by 2 and some not? :)
Husky Blue and White believed that because steals and turnovers necessarly signaled a change in possession while the other stats did not, steals and tos were more important.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Husky Blue and White believed that because steals and turnovers necessarly signaled a change in possession while the other stats did not, steals and tos were more important.

That makes sense.....I use the formula which adds points, assists, rebounds, steals and blocks then divides by minutes played.....a score below 1.0 is good.....I call it BRATS-worst.......:)

Reaction Score
I don't think I can ever remember a time when the three hightest BRATS scores are to the three tallest players on the team.
Since 2 of the components are blocks and rebounds I would think BRATS would favor tall players. No? And while guards, usually shorter than post players, have a greater opportunity of running up the numbers with assists they are more likely to commit turnovers since they handle the ball more. Enlighten me.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Since 2 of the components are blocks and rebounds I would think BRATS would favor tall players. No? And while guards, usually shorter than post players, have a greater opportunity of running up the numbers with assists they are more likely to commit turnovers since they handle the ball more. Enlighten me.
Usually there aren't enough blocks to make that much of a difference. Taller players are more likely to make more turnovers than steals and assists and have a negative number when these three stats are recorded. But good ballhandling guards can have more steals than turnovers which will be a positive number and then their assists give them a higher average than the post players. UConn's 3 posts are unusual as many big men have 3 or 4 times the turnovers over steals.

Reaction Score
I have used a similar system to track players for about fifteen years. Post players do a little better but it's not dramatic.

Huskybill, I'd kove to see this on a per 40 minute basis. Looks like Kiah would dominate.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I have seen Joey Chestnut dominate the BRATS for years. His ratings are 50 and above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom