This weekend was a significant statement. Next? | The Boneyard

This weekend was a significant statement. Next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Even the detractors have noticed UConn's relevance in NYC thanks to Shabazz et al.

I believe the next important date on the calendar is in early November when football takes the field at Yankee Stadium. Turning that place blue would be hard to ignore. I'll be there with 4 or 5 family members.

I also think that ladies basketball could also help. Home and home against Penn State or Ohio State would help create relationships that our athletic department needs and help those schools fund their women's bb programs.

Keep working it.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
We have a group of possibly 10 (maybe more) heading to Yankee Stadium for the Army game. Can't wait!

Reaction Score
Well placed UConn signs in baseball stadiums, Yankees, Fenway, and Citi.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well placed UConn signs in baseball stadiums, Yankees, Fenway, and Citi.

I hope there is a UCONN fan with enough print savvy to get a nice big UCONN logo and tie it up to hang over that ridiculous Fruit sign in Yankee Stadium. Would be nice to position it to read "UCONN: New York's College Team"

Reaction Score
Took the PATH from Hoboken over to Herald Sq for Friday's game and was surprised to see UConn print adds inside the PATH train. First time I that.

Reaction Score
I would not schedule any home and home series with B1G unless we are in conference. UCONN has proven to be a big NYC draw so why let their schools use UCONN to get exposure and get to have big event with fans and donors without having us benefit from conference membership. We can agree to give two hoops home games at NYC and one football home games at Metlife or Yankee stadium only if we are in the conference. Same with ACC. Schedule OOC basketball games against SEC, Big 12 and West Coast teams like Kentucky, Texas, West Virginia, Arizona, etc. to keep reminding both conferences they both have the wrong "New York team" in their conference.

Reaction Score
I would not schedule any home and home series with B1G unless we are in conference. UCONN has proven to be a big NYC draw so why let their schools use UCONN to get exposure and get to have big event with fans and donors without having us benefit from conference membership. We can agree to give two hoops home games at NYC and one football home games at Metlife or Yankee stadium only if we are in the conference. Same with ACC. Schedule OOC basketball games against SEC, Big 12 and West Coast teams like Kentucky, Texas, West Virginia, Arizona, etc. to keep reminding both conferences they both have the wrong "New York team" in their conference.

Being a good negotiator requires an understanding of comparitive leverage. I hope your family isn't relying upon your negotiating skills for their financial support.

Reaction Score
Yes, actually my family does rely on my skills and we do pretty good. Actually what has helped me is to respectfully disagree with others and not to talk down to people. Try it some time.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure I follow your logic here. B1G Teams do not need UCONN to stage events in NYC or NJ. Schools like PSU, OSU, UM, and Nebraska could all likely play OOC games against Cuse, Army, or ND in Metlife. There is also discussion in PSU Circles about setting up a Kick Off Classic type event in NJ as had been done plenty in the past . Syracuse was more than happy to play PSU there last season despite being easily outnumbered in the stands 3 to 1. Why cut off UCONN from opportunities that could be grabbed by other programs?

IMO UCONN's Future could very well be in the B1G. It won't come from strong arming its way into membership however. If I were involved in UCONN's AD my advice would be to cozy up to as many B1G Programs as possible. Show the leadership at these schools how similar in profile UCONN is to them. How well UCONN fits with them. Finally what positives UCONN would bring to the table as a member. From my perspective they are many. Great basketball, strong Olympic Programs(very important to The B1G and BTN), and growth potential in football. Your game against UM last year was exciting to watch. The crowd was into it, and it looked like a match up between two conference rivals. Play all the SEC, PAC, and Big 12-2 teams you want, but don't cut off contact with The B1G. It won't create the outcome you desire.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I follow your logic here. B1G Teams do not need UCONN to stage events in NYC or NJ. Schools like PSU, OSU, UM, and Nebraska could all likely play OOC games against Cuse, Army, or ND in Metlife. There is also discussion in PSU Circles about setting up a Kick Off Classic type event in NJ as had been done plenty in the past . Syracuse was more than happy to play PSU there last season despite being easily outnumbered in the stands 3 to 1. Why cut off UCONN from opportunities that could be grabbed by other programs?

IMO UCONN's Future could very well be in the B1G. It won't come from strong arming its way into membership however. If I were involved in UCONN's AD my advice would be to cozy up to as many B1G Programs as possible. Show the leadership at these schools how similar in profile UCONN is to them. How well UCONN fits with them. Finally what positives UCONN would bring to the table as a member. From my perspective they are many. Great basketball, strong Olympic Programs(very important to The B1G and BTN), and growth potential in football. Your game against UM last year was exciting to watch. The crowd was into it, and it looked like a match up between two conference rivals. Play all the SEC, PAC, and Big 12-2 teams you want, but don't cut off contact with The B1G. It won't create the outcome you desire.

Agree. Gotta keep the marketing machine going in NYC. Nothing helps more than playing / winning against B1G teams and growing the brand in the city!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Really, the B1G doesn't need our help. The NYT and Silver showed that PSU, Michigan and ND have more drawing power for football in NYC than Rutty or UConn (both of which were ahead of Syracuse).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I wonder if Ollie is on the hot seat...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member