This was probably the greatest game in the history of the sport. | The Boneyard

This was probably the greatest game in the history of the sport.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Win or season over for both teams (at least us) and it was a 4 OT game that had a buzzer beater. Name a better game. You can't.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Win or season over for both teams (at least us) and it was a 4 OT game that had a buzzer beater. Name a better game. You can't.

Stone-Cold-Steve-Austin-Laughing-to-Serious.gif

Oh, you're serious. No buzzer beater, but the 6-OT game was in primetime at MSG against a rival. And the teams were better.

That's just the other long game. We've had a lot of great games over the last 3 decades. And we're just one team.

I mean, this game was amazing, obviously. I just think you might have just gone a little overboard.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score

Oh, you're serious. No buzzer beater, but the 6-OT game was in primetime at MSG against a rival. And the teams were better.

That's just the other long game. We've had a lot of great games over the last 3 decades. And we're just one team.

I mean, this game was amazing, obviously. I just think you might have just gone a little overboard.
Nope. Against Cincy we we're playing for our "lifes" as Adams put in; against Syracuse we were playing to get a one-up on a rival.

Reaction Score
Maybe not the greatest but must one of the top 5 college game ever played.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

No. Nobody hit a 3/4 court buzzer beater in the 6OT game. This one was better, and not just because we won it. The fact that our team this season isn't anywhere near as good as that team that lost to Syracuse is what makes this one WAY better!

Reaction Score
I have to rate this game over the 6-OT C'use thriller, simply given what was on the line in this game, coupled .8 sec near 1/2 court shot. That said, it's hard to rank this higher the Clemson game with "The Shot" by Tate. I'm in L.A. and the rain knocked out my satelliete at last 30 seconds at 2nd half. Was going crazy refreshing between 3 different sports sites for 4 OT's.... lol

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Definitely one of the greatest 20 UConn games!!! Yep we have a lot of them baby!

Reaction Score
This was better than the Cuse game IMO because Uconn's season is done without the win and maybe Cinci, but I doubt that.

But regardless, the THIRD overtime ends with a clutch buzzer beater three pointer - or so you thought - only to be one-upped by a 0.2 second behind half court heave to push it into a 4th OT.

That was a one-two punch rarely seen.

Greatest of all time? Not sure. But what the hell I'll still enjoy this one

Reaction Score
In terms of importance it's huge. We needed to win to get in the tournament and Adams hit a shot to get us into one overtime and after Cincy hit a three and the game was over for all intensive purposes, Adams hit an almost full court shot with .8 on the clock to send it to a fourth overtime. I've never seen anything like it in my years of watching basketball.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I remember after Tate George's shot vs Clemson with 0.8 left analysts basically said that was the least possible amount of time to take anything but a tap in shot. That it had to be catch and shoot. JA actually took a step from what I saw. I'm thinking that as great as that shot was, maybe we caught a break with a slow clock start?

Anyway, I still put Clemson over this because of not only Tate's shot, but Burrell's inbounds pass.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
In 1992, there was an OT game in the Elite 8 between [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] where [REDACTED] threw the ball 80 feet to [REDACTED], who faked one way, turned the other and buried the shot.

And for all the people saying "we needed to win," you do realize that ALL NCAA tournaments are single-elimination, right?

Reaction Score
the 6OT game had no clutch UConn shots in OT, it was super frustrating from that perspective

Reaction Score
In 1992, there was an OT game in the Elite 8 between [REDACTED] and [REDACTED] where [REDACTED] threw the ball 80 feet to [REDACTED], who faked one way, turned the other and buried the shot.

And for all the people saying "we needed to win," you do realize that ALL NCAA tournaments are single-elimination, right?
I was comparing it to the BET game - it wasn't a must win game for us like todays was

Reaction Score

Actually, this was the game that came to mind.

Forget the quality of teams, stakes (though this game may end up being, effectively, single elimination) -- this game might be most similar to that one in the back and forth nature, OT play, buzzer-beaters, etc.

Reaction Score
Maybe not the greatest but must one of the top 5 college game ever played.

For goodness sakes. It was a great game played in the quarterfinals of the 7th or 8th best conference's tourney by teams somewhere between 26 and 45 or so in the country. It was a game that outside of the two fanbases will be forgotten by next weekend.

Reaction Score
Quite apart from the venue and the stakes involved, today's game had many unbelievable shots. Not only the heave by Jalen, but also the 3s by Cincy, Caupain's shot in the lane, and also Jalen's layup and especially his fall down bucket where he shot as he was hitting the floor.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What I view as being great is that today's game is merely another addition to the litany of tremendous UConn men's basketball moments.

Reaction Score

I think it sucked. Two bad teams. UCONN has the horses, but not the coaching.
The fact that we are a bubble team with these athletes is shameful and is a disservice to them.
Calhoun or any first rate coach would have this team in the top 25.

Reaction Score
Hopefully the two teams will meet again in 2 years at the the Conference Tournament at the Sprint Center in Kansas City

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I think it sucked. Two bad teams. UCONN has the horses, but not the coaching.
The fact that we are a bubble team with these athletes is shameful and is a disservice to them.
Calhoun or any first rate coach would have this team in the top 25.

Go back to the women's board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3