This teams defining win | The Boneyard

This teams defining win

Reaction Score
I know Syracuse felt sweeter, and I know they've played a lot better, but I said to my father with about eight minutes remaining that it'd be the defining win of the season if they pulled it out. Coming off a hard fought win against Memphis just 67 hours prior, playing a Temple team with a lot to prove after a bad loss to East Carolina, smelled like a schedule loss.

And it was for about 32 minutes. Every run we made ended with a careless turnover, blown assignment, or fatigued close-out. They pulled it out, though, even with only a half-dozen or so players you can trust, on the road, in a spot - at-large hopes mostly extinct - where a lot of teams would have packed it in.

The defining wins are never the ones you remember, and this one - save for the final five seconds - probably won't be. The score will be posted to every sports website in America and not one soul will give a damn that a bad UConn team beat a bad Temple team. That's how you know these guys are playing for the right reasons.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
This was absolutely the critical turning point for this year's team. If they lost here, it felt like the season was lost. Which, we know, it already has been blown for the most part, but let's keep that "eye on the sky, a dollar in the kitty, don't the room look pretty...." a few will get the reference, but it seem fitting for a fine win by our Huskies!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Kentan can't play much worse than this game. Jalen was also really off. Thank goodness he saved it for the last shot.

I still think this team has more in it than they have shown. Hopefully it comes out over the next seven weeks.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
Cash. Drucking. Money. Say no more.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Yes this was huge but to get here they had to beat Memphis by coming back from 17 down - I consider that the turning point because it was a full team effort
Today, everyone except maybe CV was off their game (and RP in 2nd half)
BUT in the future - just can't miss the chippies near the hoop (KF), miss the FTs (everyone) and be the tallest player but consistently watch rebounds go to the other team (AB)

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see what happens if Uconn can finish the season 3-1 and get to the finals, to see if they are at least on the bubble the day of the final.
According to Joe Lunardi (who was at the game) said UConn is out out out. He went to St. Joe's? I don't think Temple. Let's enjoy the young pups. One game at a time.

Reaction Score
According to Joe Lunardi (who was at the game) said UConn is out out out. He went to St. Joe's? I don't think Temple. Let's enjoy the young pups. One game at a time.
Were we watching the same game? He actually said if we win most of our games down the stretch and make it to the finals, we could be in the discussion for an at large bid. Which caught my attention because I don't there's any chance we get in as an at large w zero quality out of conference wins and the committee clear bias against the AAC.

Reaction Score
Were we watching the same game? He actually said if we win most of our games down the stretch and make it to the finals, we could be in the discussion for an at large bid. Which caught my attention because I don't there's any chance we get in as an at large w zero quality out of conference wins and the committee clear bias against the AAC.

right, so a discussion for an at-large bid, is not a out out out. Of course we are out, but if we beat 3 ranked teams and get our metrics to under the bubble numbers and a record of 20-13, we have a change.. (yes, its a long shot, but he did say we had a chance)

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score

Lunardi apparently smoked some crack in his room at mom's house after their traditional Sunday meal.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
He actually didn't say that. He said if we can run the table and make it to the finals, we have a shot because of the soft bubble.
When his white board shows his picks he has OUT beside UConn. Now he did talk about a few way out in space somewhere scenario's. He also gave scenarios for other teams. Are you a lawyer?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Yes I did. They showed his white board with the word OUT beside UCONN. All those scenarios were way out there. Hey I hope we get in. Again yes,I was watching the same game.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
He actually didn't say that. He said if we can run the table and make it to the finals, we have a shot because of the soft bubble.
He was talking about how power conference teams "around .500" will get in this year.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
This was absolutely the critical turning point for this year's team. If they lost here, it felt like the season was lost. Which, we know, it already has been blown for the most part, but let's keep that "eye on the sky, a dollar in the kitty, don't the room look pretty...." a few will get the reference, but it seem fitting for a fine win by our Huskies!

Chasing the dragon, are you?

Reaction Score
Yes I did. They showed his white board with the word OUT beside UCONN. All those scenarios were way out there. Hey I hope we get in. Again yes,I was watching the same game.
His WORDS said that if we run the table and get to the finals but lose we could be in the discussion for an at large bid. Obviously as of today we are out, we're only one game over .500. So I will correct my question: were you LISTENING to the same game I was? Because that is what he said.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I thought he said we had an a chance because of the weak bubble.

Regardless, knowing how to win, especially with a limited, young rooster is a big time skill. This team has it. I've said it before, as have many others, but this year is going to pay dividends next year.

Reaction Score
I know Syracuse felt sweeter, and I know they've played a lot better, but I said to my father with about eight minutes remaining that it'd be the defining win of the season if they pulled it out. Coming off a hard fought win against Memphis just 67 hours prior, playing a Temple team with a lot to prove after a bad loss to East Carolina, smelled like a schedule loss.

And it was for about 32 minutes. Every run we made ended with a careless turnover, blown assignment, or fatigued close-out. They pulled it out, though, even with only a half-dozen or so players you can trust, on the road, in a spot - at-large hopes mostly extinct - where a lot of teams would have packed it in.

The defining wins are never the ones you remember, and this one - save for the final five seconds - probably won't be. The score will be posted to every sports website in America and not one soul will give a damn that a bad UConn team beat a bad Temple team. That's how you know these guys are playing for the right reasons.

That was poetic. Bravo............bravo.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
In, Out, on the Bubble, popped the Bubble
What the hell are we discussing this for?
UConn has to take ONE GAME AT A TIME
and.................. the only way I see getting to the dance is winning the AAC tournament in our backyard
If not, making noise in the NIT is something that all of us were dreaming about in early January (or probably after the 2 first games)

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score

You're 100% right -- we're not getting an at large bid because of no good OOC wins and the AAC conference. NO mater how well we play down the stretch, the selection committee will put in a P5 bubble school ahead of us 100 times out of 100.

Reaction Score
right, so a discussion for an at-large bid, is not a out out out. Of course we are out, but if we beat 3 ranked teams and get our metrics to under the bubble numbers and a record of 20-13, we have a change.. (yes, its a long shot, but he did say we had a chance)

An easy argument can also be made that 2 of those losses happened because we were without our top player in Jalen Adams.

Reaction Score
You're 100% right -- we're not getting an at large bid because of no good OOC wins and the AAC conference. NO mater how well we play down the stretch, the selection committee will put in a P5 bubble school ahead of us 100 times out of 100.

And yet, when the exact scenario you described occurred last year, they put in Tulsa.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom