This team. | The Boneyard

This team.

Reaction Score
The 86-87 team finished 9-19. Cliff Robinson and Phil Gamble were sophomores Tate George and Steve Pikiell were freshman. I remember rooting hard for this team. A majority of their losses were bad. Their heralded recruiting class the next year Lyman DePriest and Murray Williams. Not to be confused with a KU or Duke or Carolina recruiting class That team finished 20-14 and won their last 2 games against BC and Ohio St to win the NIT. We drove around the neighborhood screaming at everyone we saw Uconn won the NIT!! Laying on the horn waking up the old folks drinking Budweiser beer and smoking Marlboro reds. I can’t remember my group of friends laying into that 9-19 team the way this current team is getting ripped. It’s not like this team should finish 25-5. They aren’t that good. I’m pretty sure they know it. Neither was the 86 team. Houston was a blowout loss last year so was Florida Xavier IU and Villanova. Thats a 15 - 20 point differential. I’m trying to be positive from now on. Crack open a cold one. Smoke em if you got them. Maybe we can enjoy our team a little better going forward.

p.s. Every walkons dream is the final shot. Why are we trying to take that away from the kid?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Why can't this be the 88 team?

Reaction Score
Every walkons dream is the final shot. Why are we trying to take that away from the kid?
Seriously? What are these 7 year olds? They should be trying to win the game, not give a kid his dream. If you think that was the best way to try to win the game then I don't know what to tell you. I don't fault Temi at all. We shouldn't be blaming him. The bottom line is that he shouldn't have been put in that situation.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The 86-87 team finished 9-19. Cliff Robinson and Phil Gamble were sophomores Tate George and Steve Pikiell were freshman. I remember rooting hard for this team. A majority of their losses were bad. Their heralded recruiting class the next year Lyman DePriest and Murray Williams. Not to be confused with a KU or Duke or Carolina recruiting class That team finished 20-14 and won their last 2 games against BC and Ohio St to win the NIT. We drove around the neighborhood screaming at everyone we saw Uconn won the NIT!! Laying on the horn waking up the old folks drinking Budweiser beer and smoking Marlboro reds. I can’t remember my group of friends laying into that 9-19 team the way this current team is getting ripped. It’s not like this team should finish 25-5. They aren’t that good. I’m pretty sure they know it. Neither was the 86 team. Houston was a blowout loss last year so was Florida Xavier IU and Villanova. Thats a 15 - 20 point differential. I’m trying to be positive from now on. Crack open a cold one. Smoke em if you got them. Maybe we can enjoy our team a little better going forward.

p.s. Every walkons dream is the final shot. Why are we trying to take that away from the kid?

GREAT POST.

80% of the posters on this board are ignorant, entitled babies that don't know the difference between man-to-man and zone, yet throw around terms like "low basketball IQ" with authority, as if they wouldn't get their pocket picked 4 straight times down the court if they were playing in a 40 and over women's rec league.

If rooting for this team gives someone too many sads, they should root for Baylor, or whoever happens to be #1 from week to week.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

'We drove around the neighborhood screaming at everyone we saw Uconn won the NIT!'
my nit story. we had to be in manhattan for some dopey family thing. birthday party? retirement party? someone made it to the airport on time by going on the bruckner? don't recall, but it was another one of those things. anyway, pop's put out the 'find the tv' alert that am, and off we went. a few hours in, pop's pulls me away from the chow table, and sez 'this ain't good. we are officially game challenged. keep close, we may have to bolt.' bolt where? to a bar? to some old friend's apartment? to the gahden? next thing I know, we're gone, and taking the train to the west side. 'this is gonna be good' im thinking. we hit the box office like ten minutes before tip, and pops points to me and my oversized UConn shirt, and tells mr. ticket seller 'ya got any tix for the kid? he's a big fan.' ticket guy looks at me, smiles (i'll never forget the look on that guys mug), and sez 'here ya go.' walking away, pop's sez something about 'I think these are pretty good.' (luv,luv,luv it when you're walking into a venue and you don't know where the seats are, but you keep walking closer to the action. sweet.) floor seats! a few rows right behind the basket! in the ohio section. who cares, we're in! later, when I asked him about how that happened, pop's said that ticket guy told him an ohio fan in front of us on line, just turned in/or told him that he didn't need them. I felt like Ralphie on xmas morn when he opened up the Red Ryder BB gun present. and then we won the championship! later, after he let me jump around the floor for a bit, we leave the building, pops pulls out and lights the topstone, and sez 'son, that was fun, lucky us.'

Last edited:

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
Everybody was whining and complaining in 86-87. There just wasn't the blow horn known as the internet.

Reaction Score
I agree wheelerdog. The season has to play out. Even in 1987-88 UConn was a .500 team until finishing 7-1 (including the NIT postseason). We were 4-12 in the conference. That was then, this is now. We’ve been to the top numerous times so it makes these last few years tougher to take. Back then the routine was to hope for the best then realize we weren’t good enough to compete.

Reaction Score
'We drove around the neighborhood screaming at everyone we saw Uconn won the NIT!'
my nit story. we had to be in manhattan for some dopey family thing. birthday party? retirement party? someone made it to the airport on time by going on the bruckner? don't recall, but it was another one of those things. anyway, pop's put out the 'find the tv' alert that am, and off we went. a few hours in, pop's pulls me away from the chow table, and sez 'this ain't good. we are officially game challenged. keep close, we may have to bolt.' bolt where? to a bar? to some old friend's apartment? to the gahden? next thing I know, we're gone, and taking the train to the west side. 'this is gonna be good' im thinking. we hit the box office like ten minutes before tip, and pops points to me and my oversized UConn shirt, and tells mr. ticket seller 'ya got any tix for the kid? he's a big fan.' ticket guy looks at me, smiles (i'll never forget the look on that guys mug), and sez 'here ya go.' walking away, pop's sez something about 'I think these are pretty good.' (luv,luv,luv it when you're walking into a venue and you don't know where the seats are, but you keep walking closer to the action. sweet.) floor seats! a few rows right behind the basket! in the ohio section. who cares, we're in! later, when I asked him about how that happened, pop's said that ticket guy told him an ohio fan in front of us on line, just turned in/or told him that he didn't need them. I felt like Ralphie on xmas morn when he opened up the Red Ryder BB gun present. and then we won the championship! later, after he let me jump around the floor for a bit, we leave the building, pops pulls out and lights the topstone, and sez 'son, that was fun, lucky us.'
Hahaha that’s pretty awesome!!! Back then I would go to as many Hartford games as I could.

Reaction Score
This team has no leader. And although Hurley has force fed an "identity" as gritty, it doesn't really know what it is. It is not certain of it's strengths and weaknesses. It doesn't have a "go to" option. That is why it fails in the last few minutes. Uncertainty.

Reaction Score
A past thread asked what player from the past would you want on this team? I have changed my mind on this. We need Khalid.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You really think we will make the NIT?

Not making the NIT brings valid questions about Hurley's ability to coach in season and in games. Not recruit, not represent the program, but, add value beyond the your run of the mill college coach. Let's not pretend how mediocre you have to be to make the NIT. When have more than enough talent this season to make it. That wasn't necessarily the case last season. It's absolutely not the case this season. If Hurley can correct the basic mistakes the team repeatedly makes or have the ability to make a change without losing the room, he isn't as advertised.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom