This team will be a tough out come tourney time | The Boneyard

This team will be a tough out come tourney time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
mark it down...I see some of that 13-14 season in them.. .Yeah, they lost tonite.. started out slow.. but they don't quit... I think we're still trying to figure out which is the best starting 5...

Sorry Sterling and Rodney, I think Adams should be starting over either one of you. he's a playmaker... he makes things happen

DHam - we need you to take over son, but you gotta believe in your teammates too... can't go 1 on 4 all the time in crunch time.. get others involved.. show off those point-forward skills. You don't have to overdue on offense even though we rely on you a lot.

Our frontcourt needs to play better early on in the game.. rebounds rebounds rebounds.. box out.. rebounds.. once we get that together we'll be fine..

The thing about Kevin Ollie run UCONN teams is that his teams run marathons, not sprints..

I'm not counting this team out.. Neither should anyone else...

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
mark it down...I see some of that 13-14 season in them.. .Yeah, they lost tonite.. started out slow.. but they don't quit... I think we're still trying to figure out which is the best starting 5...
I also see some of that 14-15 team in them...

Reaction Score

Sorry Sterling and Rodney, I think Adams should be starting over either one of you. he's a playmaker... he makes things happen

DHam - we need you to take over son, but you gotta believe in your teammates too... can't go 1 on 4 all the time in crunch time.. get others involved.. show off those point-forward skills. You don't have to overdue on offense even though we rely on you a lot.

Our frontcourt needs to play better early on in the game.. rebounds rebounds rebounds.. box out.. rebounds.. once we get that together we'll be fine..

The thing about Kevin Ollie run UCONN teams is that his teams run marathons, not sprints..

I'm not counting this team out.. Neither should anyone else...

Well thats up to them, this defense is pu$$yism at its finest. I can't just applaud showing effort at the end every team shows effort. Im not writing them off but I will call it like it is.

Reaction Score
I see the 2014_2015 team. Like every game against a halfway decent team the past two years plays out exactly the same. Get down huge. Cut it to 2-3 lose by 5-10.

Reaction Score
They can't play defense. They can't rebound.

Those are not small flaws. They have a lot of work to do.

Reaction Score
We need a tenacious energy guy in the frontcourt (ala Roscoe), but I don't see one. I think that's what we are lacking most.

Reaction Score
Im sure teams with any sort of inside presence with post moves won't be scared. Didn't see any help defense and the rebounding was awful

Reaction Score
There's 2 big problems with this team.
1. Defense: we stink.
2. Falling Behind
If we can become a halfway decent defensive team and not fall down by 20 points every game, we'll be tough to beat. Until then, same old.

Reaction Score
They can't play defense. They can't rebound.

Those are not small flaws. They have a lot of work to do.
They're defense wasn't great because the guards--namely Gibbs/Cassell/Calhoun--can't contain penetration. Adams and Purvis struggle at it a bit, but are better. When Brimah was in, it wasn't as big a deal. Whenever we played Miller/Enoch/Facey/Nolan in that 5 spot, the Terps had open lanes--damn near red carpets--to the rim.

Reaction Score
I don't know....the defense so far has been a complete disappointment. I hope it will get better because it usually does. But to be honest, I was hoping we had the talent and added the instincts to be a top 5 defensive team in the country.

Can it all still come together with time? Of course...we have seen it in the past. But to get to that elite level, I was hoping we had a better base this early in the season to improve on.

Don't get me started on rebounding. -23 on the boards tonight.

Reaction Score
They're defense wasn't great because the guards--namely Gibbs/Cassell/Calhoun--can't contain penetration. Adams and Purvis struggle at it a bit, but are better. When Brimah was in, it wasn't as big a deal. Whenever we played Miller/Enoch/Facey/Nolan in that 5 spot, the Terps had open lanes--damn near red carpets--to the rim.
Agree completely. No Brimah meant a stroll to the basket. Jalen was good and Purvis ok....everyone else was terrible.

Reaction Score
Hamilton was terrible?
I think he means at containing penetration. And I didn't add Hamilton to that list, but his defense wasn't really great either.

Reaction Score
Defense makes too many mistakes, out rebounded by 23 (that is not easy to do) and offense becomes too much 1:1. The warts on this team are real. They can be fixed but there is a reason to be a concerned.

Folks saying don't worry we will be better in March need a reality check.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Starters from here on out...

Adams
Purv (welp)
Hamilton
Facey and...
Brimah

Work these guys and pray.

Gibbs and Purv are the same guy. Gibbs and Miller are over their heads. Omar...yeesh.

Reaction Score
Even if we make the tourny, our seed is going to suck. Cannot rely on winning it all as a 7 seed again. Yeah, until this team shows me something, I'm not getting my hopes up on the ncaa's.

Reaction Score
Even if we make the tourny, our seed is going to suck. Cannot rely on winning it all as a 7 seed again. Yeah, until this team shows me something, I'm not getting my hopes up on the ncaa's.

Well lets get to the tourney first.

Reaction Score
Starters from here on out...

Adams
Purv (welp)
Hamilton
Facey and...
Brimah

Work these guys and pray.

Gibbs and Purv are the same guy. Gibbs and Miller are over their heads. Omar...yeesh.
Purvis is quicker, more athletic, more streaky than Gibbs, so I don't really see them as the same.

I'm not willing to give up on a guy who was second team all BE last year either. I think he'll come around. Just more Adams, perhaps at the expense of Miller/Facey rather than at the expense of Gibbs/Purvis.

As for Miller...he seems to be our only inside threat. His offense hasn't been terrible. But his defense has been a huge disappointment. That said, I think he can and should get a good deal of minutes.

Reaction Score
I think the backcourt will sort itself out and learn to finish better. D-Ham will adjust and get his numbers. The rest of the frontcourt hasn't gotten it together individually or together on either end. Omar and Nolan were wasted minutes tonight. There were a few things in the second half they can build on but it has to be for a full game. We looked totally lost early and it's hard to believe it's all coaching. This was always going to be a risk with all the new faces this year but one thing worth noting. Rose was good enough to be on the court as a Freshman at the end. And he was good enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom