This team reminds me of the 2012 team | The Boneyard

This team reminds me of the 2012 team

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well 2012 had way more talent but no leadership or cohesion. Calhoun also had his back issues but wasn't one of his more memorable coaching performances even before that.

The only problem this team has is that we don't have talent, at least for this year. We have a few guys who can truly be good either next year or in 2 years, but outside of Boat nobody is that good this year.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
except without the talent
we have talent, not as much as 2012 but we have talent... that team should've done better because they had a ton more experience than this year

Reaction Score
Eh, I think we're in a pretty similar situation in that the talent needs time to mature. The 2012 team had raw talent but it wasn't that good yet. 2012 had bad PG play, sporadic moments from Lamb, got pretty much a net zero from 3 wing/stretch 4 players in Niels, Scoe, and DD, and underwhelming play up front from AO and AD, that team just wasnt ready to be good yet and the improvement of Bazz, Boat, Niels, DD, and Scoe(albeit on a diff team) over time kinda showed that. I think there is something there with the potential freshman/soph core of Purvis, Hamilton, Facey, and Brimah, they're just nowhere near ready yet. It also doesn't help when your best player no shows but that's another story.

Reaction Score
I simply do not see the talent with the exception of a few. Our bench is occupied by in my opinion mid major type talent (outside of Purvis) Nolan, Cassell, Samuel and Lubin are not the usual UConn level talent and they are all going to be relied on more in the future seasons. We need have deep and talented recruiting classes after 2015. Next year we bring in a stud PG and a big who will likely come in with a Facey like skill-set from the get-go, its a good start but as of right now still leaves us short of a second play making ball handler and all-rounded big man.

Reaction Score
Lol I'd say if only we had 2 lotto picks this year with 2 all American complimentary players Not to mention Daniels And Giff hurried deep on the bench.

Reaction Score
Lol I'd say if only we had 2 lotto picks this year with 2 all American complimentary players Not to mention Daniels And Giff hurried deep on the bench.

Who were the 2 All American complimentary players on that team? Obviously Bazz is one you're referring to, and he was no where near All American status that year and took as much criticism that year as all of our sophomores and DHam are taking now. Giffey and DD didn't give much in the way of offense and weren't even guys that were paid attention to by opposing defenses, Giffey was only somewhat valuable on defense and he was still nowhere near the contributor he became on the boards and D, let alone the outside shooting and outside threat that needed to be guarded, that he became his senior year. As for the 2 lotto picks, Lamb's numbers looked very good, but we lamented his disappearing acts and horrendous D much more than we praised his scoring. And for Drummond he was a lotto pick because of his measurables and what he would eventually become, not off of what he actually did during college games, we've had far more impactful bigs who either went lower in the draft or never got drafted at all.

Again, ya'll are judging that 2012 talent off of what they became, not what they actually did that year, that team beat 3 teams worth a damn all season. Ya'll are now hyping up that talent and in full blown revisionist history mode, but I'm sure if someone told you in 2012 that Bazz, Boat, Niels, and DeAndre were going to form a core that you needed each to play 30+ minutes a game with spare parts around them to win a title, you would tell that someone that they were crazy. Niels and DD were 2/3rds of a wing rotation that gave very little of nothing on offense, and then in 2 years you couldn't win without them on the floor. Bazz and Boat were a directionless backcourt that couldn't run an offense, and in a year you couldn't win without them on the floor and then in 2 years they became a buzzsaw when Boat figured out who he was. Let's see what our junior who is finding his way back from injury, sophomore group and talented freshman turn into before we declare them without talent.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CT2SC