This team has improved. | The Boneyard

This team has improved.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We lost 45-0 last year this time to a similar opponent. We are competitive again. This was going to be a tough game even if we went 8-4 last year. I really think we have six winnable games in the schedule.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Glad I predicted 6-6 record for the season. This is a much improved team comparing to Edsall, Diaco, and PP teams.

It sucks we might lose Roberson and Marion for the season. We can't catch a break. Turner still got some learning to do, but you can see the raw talent there.
Not only that but Utah State is better than at least 6 other teams on schedule.

Reaction Score
Very much improved. Reason for a lot of optimism. Unfortunately Turner just isn’t ready.

Reaction Score
The good news is there are now adults in charge of the program. We knew today would be a roller coaster ride and we got beat by a better team. The team will continue to improve. Definitely see some wins this season and it looks like The team is much improved. If we win 4-6 games this team will become an attractive landing spot for players in the portal. I know it’s only one game but it looks like the Jim Mora hire was the right call.

Reaction Score
Turner is not ready. You can’t throw for 109 in 2022. But this is going to be a decent football team I think. Kept it close. Didn’t fold against a pretty talented team when they got down.

Reaction Score
Turner is not ready. You can’t throw for 109 in 2022. But this is going to be a decent football team I think. Kept it close. Didn’t fold against a pretty talented team when they got down.
He definitely was deer in the headlights today. But let’s see what a full week as QB1 in practice does. Have Millen waiting in the wings.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They finally look like they have real D1 speed. Running game and the O-line were fantastic. If they play like this every week, we will win 5 games (at least)

Lundt's pass protection at RT is a huge issue. He does okay on the run plays but is still recovering from knee injury and could not contain the edge all game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The biggest takeaway is that both lines look better. LBs look better. DB's are still a work in progress. Pass rush was non-existent, but this was a very experience OLine for USU and a QB who knows how to get rid of the ball, so not a fair test on that. Carter is going to rack up a lot of yards if we can keep blocking like that. Tackling was a lot better than we've seen recently and our kickers look pretty good.

Generally, the play calling was good, IMO. We took a few shots and weren't nearly as predictable as we've been. I could do without some of the longer developing plays and we did do well passing to the sideline, but overall, I thought it was a good mix.

Reaction Score
Lundt's pass protection at RT is a huge issue. He does okay on the run plays but is still recovering from knee injury and could not contain the edge all game.
What did you think of Nyadu and Senn at the left side? And Guidone at center… am I the only one that saw a couple of low snaps from the center?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What did you think of Nyadu and Senn at the left side? And Guidone at center… am I the only one that saw a couple of low snaps from the center?

Overall I thought the line played competent. Didn't really notice Nyadu at all, which is generally good. Guidone, I thought played fine. There may have been some low snaps but I only remember one play where the QB bobbled the snap which messed up the timing. Senn got out on that screen early and the game. UConn is still listed Senn at 298 on their website and in the game notes depth chart. I'm not buying that at all. He's a big dude.

The plays where Utah St. blew up plays in the backfield I think were as much schemes by Utah St more than lack of skill or recognition by UConn.

Reaction Score
Overall I thought the line played competent. Didn't really notice Nyadu at all, which is generally good. Guidone, I thought played fine. There may have been some low snaps but I only remember one play where the QB bobbled the snap which messed up the timing. Senn got out on that screen early and the game. UConn is still listed Senn at 298 on their website and in the game notes depth chart. I'm not buying that at all. He's a big dude.

The plays where Utah St. blew up plays in the backfield I think were as much schemes by Utah St more than lack of skill or recognition by UConn.
I agree. Lundt definitely was getting blown up and Utah st was sending like 6-7 guys at times, but impressive for our O-line not to give up any sacks.

Reaction Score
I want Lundt to succeed, but I’m still not sold yet. Especially now, with a true frosh dropping back at QB.

Reaction Score
No offense to last year’s QB room but can you believe how much better this group is?
ZT was starting to get into a rhythm but the last INT was a bad one. He’ll be much better going forward. Sad to see Roberson go down. He really looked comfortable and in control. Hope it’s not as bad as it looked.
Nice to see the run game do so well. Much better than we’ve seen in years.
Time for some victories.

Reaction Score
I also noticed a bunch of inconsistency on the shotgun snaps, there were at least 3-4 that Turner had to bend down for. I was a little surprised how often the offense was under-center with so much of College Football being driven out of the gun and wondered if that inconsistency with the snap was a factor in that decision.

On pass-blocks Lundt was always a step behind. There were a couple of plays where I felt like the defensive end opposite him was also timing the snap count well (which can also be a function of a Freshman thinking so much about the play that he forgets to vary the cadence), as he'd be a half a beat ahead of the snap, let alone the fact that he consistently was quicker off the line than Lundt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom