This team has a genius for losing | The Boneyard

This team has a genius for losing

Reaction Score
Key turnovers down the stretch every time usually caused by driving into trouble for no reason. Of course, Gilbert's no look TO when he had a wide open Vital on the wing was a killer.

BTW, when we put Gaffney in the game in the first half, it means we will be outscored by ten points in the next few minutes. This happens almost like clockwork. I knkow we are developing him. But those ten points are usually within the margin of our loss.

Reaction Score
1 year away. 2020-21 will be vary different. 2020-21 team would be 15-2 right now

Reaction Score
will it?

Hurley has to nip the iso garbage in the bud and call more timeouts to set plays up.
Easy to say bc he's a HOF coach, but I don't think Calhoun loses this game

Reaction Score
will it?

Hurley has to nip the iso garbage in the bud and call more timeouts to set plays up.
Easy to say bc he's a HOF coach, but I don't think Calhoun loses this game
They were saying same stuff about Calhoun early on too. Jay Wright was a total of 6 games over 500 in his first 3 seasons at Nova including two years right at 500 before he took off in year 4. Not saying Hurley is either one of those guys but not sure why everyone expects him to be better than those coaches less than 2 years in.

Reaction Score
They were saying same stuff about Calhoun early on too. Jay Wright was a total of 6 games over 500 in his first 3 seasons at Nova including two years right at 500 before he took off in year 4. Not saying Hurley is either one of those guys but not sure why everyone expects him to be better than those coaches less than 2 years in.
Yeah, they were saying nothing of the sort about Calhoun in his early years. He won the NIT in year 2, a feat exactly 0 UConn fans ever expected. He went to the Elite 8 in year 4, another feat nobody thought was ever going to happen. Some of you guys a incredibly dumb about Calhoun’s early days. You make just inane comments about them.

Reaction Score
with Calhoun I’m talking about offense. Many people were talking about the lack of offense and set plays when we didn’t score off turnovers or the fast break. Not the wins and losses. Although there were many people saying he couldn’t win the big game from like 1992 to 1998. And if you don’t know that then you weren’t paying attention

Reaction Score
Yeah, they were saying nothing of the sort about Calhoun in his early years. He won the NIT in year 2, a feat exactly 0 UConn fans ever expected. He went to the Elite 8 in year 4, another feat nobody thought was ever going to happen. Some of you guys a incredibly dumb about Calhoun’s early days. You make just inane comments about them.
Free your nuts
Calhoun is given god like status by this board. There are however a few of us that will point out the inaccuracies of that reference.from time to time . I think JC himself would laugh at some of the overkill. He was human and every human makes mistakes .
To answer the question would this team be better with JC ? With respect to Hurley even a Calhoun was a , flesh and blood man ,person like my self would say yes.
He had the ability to find that best team in any group of guys. It’s teams that win not individual players. They have that confidence that anyone of them could step up.
Case in point our best player and one of the greatest players ever to wear a UConn Jersey barely played in the NIT final against OSU.
Yet the team never missed a beat especially Phil who won game and tourney MVP.
Im still waiting to see that ability in Hurley .
Close losses like this are eerily reminiscent of a Dom Perno coached team but it’s only been a year so Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Reaction Score
Key turnovers down the stretch every time usually caused by driving into trouble for no reason. Of course, Gilbert's no look TO when he had a wide open Vital on the wing was a killer.

BTW, when we put Gaffney in the game in the first half, it means we will be outscored by ten points in the next few minutes. This happens almost like clockwork. I knkow we are developing him. But those ten points are usually within the margin of our loss.

gilbert had 2 fouls but if you want to win on the road, sometimes you need to take risks.

Reaction Score
Although you can clearly see progress, its still extremely frustrating. “Excruciating” is the word that The Horde uses to describe these losses on Twitter. Its almost to the point where losing these games is expected. Even though we were playing so well, and had a lead in the second half, it was almost like I was just waiting for the tide to turn in Villanova’s favor. With that said, Im not giving up on this season by any means. We still have 14 league games left as well as the AAC Tournament. I think where things stand right now, 20 wins would be a nice goal to shoot for. I just hope we don’t finish under .500 again.

Reaction Score
gilbert had 2 fouls but if you want to win on the road, sometimes you need to take risks.

Gilbert had three fouls and he tried to make a difficult play when an easier play (wih a bigger payoff) was right in front of him.

I'm a Gilbert fan. I think he and Carlton are the most indispensable players on this roster. I want him to shoot more. But that play at that point in the game was very bad.

Bonus observation -- I think Gilbert would be a better defender if he sometimes played a little softer. He plays at the same defensive intensity at all times. I think if he backed off sometimes it would make his pressure a little more unexpected and keep his player a little more off balance. Give room, take it away, let the offensive man get comfortable, then make him uncomfortable, become more unpredictable.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Hurley has more head coaching experience now than Wright had when he began at Villanova.

Reaction Score
Yeah by one year. Wright was at Hofstra 7 years and Hurley at Wagner and URI a combined 8. If the difference was a lot more I could see your point but one year is negligible

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Is it just me or does UConn seem to be on the short end of the calls in almost every game, and including today's game? I know I am a homer, but it just seems as though calls go against at major times of the game.

Reaction Score

Attachments

• 3mjhvt.jpg
    3mjhvt.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 103
Reaction Score
Calhoun used to talk about how he first had to get his team to learn how to win and later learn hot to step on the throat of the f0team when you are superior.
This team is still on step one obviously.
Today, I think the big mistake was made by Hurley. He brought Carlton back in after the team went on a run. They made some fast break buckets and even the half court sets seem to have some space. They surged and took the lead, and then Hurley brings in Carlton for the rest of the game.
Carlton had the nice block in the first half a made a couple of shots, but the block aside, his defense was awful. I've never seen a post player stand underneath his own hoop with his head and chest facing away from the defender who has the ball.

Reaction Score
Calhoun used to talk about how he first had to get his team to learn how to win and later learn hot to step on the throat of the f0team when you are superior.
Today, I think the big mistake was made by Hurley. He brought Carlton back in after the team went on a run. They made some fast break buckets and even the half court sets seem to have some space. They surged and took the lead, and then Hurley brings in Carlton for the rest of the game.
Carlton had the nice block in the first half a made a couple of shots, but the block aside, his defense was awful. I've never seen a post player stand underneath his own hoop with his head and chest facing away from the defender who has the ball.

I have no idea what game you were watching

Reaction Score
Free your nuts
Calhoun is given god like status by this board. There are however a few of us that will point out the inaccuracies of that reference.from time to time . I think JC himself would laugh at some of the overkill. He was human and every human makes mistakes .
To answer the question would this team be better with JC ? With respect to Hurley even a Calhoun was a , flesh and blood man ,person like my self would say yes.
He had the ability to find that best team in any group of guys. It’s teams that win not individual players. They have that confidence that anyone of them could step up.
Case in point our best player and one of the greatest players ever to wear a UConn Jersey barely played in the NIT final against OSU.
Yet the team never missed a beat especially Phil who won game and tourney MVP.
Im still waiting to see that ability in Hurley .
Close losses like this are eerily reminiscent of a Dom Perno coached team but it’s only been a year so Im keeping my fingers crossed.
I agree with that assessment overall. Maybe not the me being nuts part but the rest of it. In some ways this does have a Perno feel. A team that would occasionally pull a huge upset like beating the Ewing led Georgetown only to lose to a hapless Seton Hall. I’ve also said his teams remind me a little of NC State with Gottfried. Win some games but never really get over the top. Calhoun was one of those rare guys who coul take his and beat yours or take yours and beat his.

C

Chief00

I think Hurley is too wedded to the planned substitute rotation and doesn’t ride the wave by keeping a lineup intact, if they are playing well. But, until we get some shooters, the game will be difficult for us. KO did not fully appreciate and recruit shooters and hopefully Danny is smart enough not to make that same mistake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
1 year away. 2020-21 will be vary different. 2020-21 team would be 15-2 right now
Next year I'm going to wake up look in the mirror and see Brad Pitt. Hope springs eternal.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom