This team compared to 2015 | The Boneyard

This team compared to 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After watching some tapes of our 2015 team play I noticed a lot of possible similarities between that team, and what our team this year could be. The 2015 team, started the year ranked 17th, this year I've seen us anywhere from 16-22. We didn't really know what we had before the year in 2015 with all the new faces, which is a lot like this season. We had excitement for Purvis and Hamilton in their first years, with our hopes and dreams all on our stud returning guard in Boatright, this year is a lot like that with Adams as our Boatright and Larrier-Gilbert as our new exciting faces. I would argue however, that even though we have a lot of new guys which will lead to growing pains, our team this year should be deeper than our team in 2015. I like our front court of Brimah-Facey-Durham-Diarra-Enoch a lot better than i liked Brimah-Nolan-Facey, so that should lead to more energized play even if we have to bear the inevitable missed layups and bad defensive moments that come with freshman.

The 2015 team ended unranked with a first round loss in the NIT to Arizona State and a 20-15 record, what do you guys think about our record this year and the comparisons?

Reaction Score
After watching some tapes of our 2015 team play I noticed a lot of possible similarities between that team, and what our team this year could be. The 2015 team, started the year ranked 17th, this year I've seen us anywhere from 16-22. We didn't really know what we had before the year in 2015 with all the new faces, which is a lot like this season. We had excitement for Purvis and Hamilton in their first years, with our hopes and dreams all on our stud returning guard in Boatright, this year is a lot like that with Adams as our Boatright and Larrier-Gilbert as our new exciting faces. I would argue however, that even though we have a lot of new guys which will lead to growing pains, our team this year should be deeper than our team in 2015. I like our front court of Brimah-Facey-Durham-Diarra-Enoch a lot better than i liked Brimah-Nolan-Facey, so that should lead to more energized play even if we have to bear the inevitable missed layups and bad defensive moments that come with freshman.

The 2015 team ended unranked with a first round loss in the NIT to Arizona State and a 20-15 record, what do you guys think about our record this year and the comparisons?
I think it's a horrible comparison.

Reaction Score
There are similarities but I think within those similarities are vast differences. Your comparison of Boat to Adams is off IMO because Boat was 3 year player coming off a NC with far more experience than Adams. Adams is a stud but still has a ways to go. Purvis had different expectations coming into his first year as he was prematurely labeled the "Ferrari". Gilbert is coming in as a highly touted 5 star player (similar to Purvis) but the difference is we didn't know what we would be getting with Purvis. He played one underwhelming year at NC State and then sat out a whole year. Other than the Ferrari reference did we really know what we were getting? I think we have more of an idea what we will be getting with Gilbert. He will get big minutes right away and run the point for us to spell Adams or run a two guard set and play tough defense. I agree Larrier and Hamilton have their similarities in terms of what they can do however, for me both were question marks coming in to their first year. Not in terms of skill or ability, I just didn't know what they can do on the court and how they would contribute. I have never seen Larrier play other than a couple highlights and don't really know what he brings to the table. I also agree that this years front court is far better than 2015s. This team is completely different in my opinion compared to 2015. Hopefully we get different results too.

Reaction Score
Big difference is that '14 lost four of its best five players, '16 is only losing three of its best six (I would argue that the '16 team was at their best with Adams, Purvis, and Brimah all on the floor). Matter of fact, you could probably argue that they were our best players (I think they were top three in +/-). Having another senior rotation guy in Facey helps a lot also.

The guys we lost were good players, but far from transformative (Shabazz obviously qualified as such in '14, and DeAndre played at that level at times).

Another difference is depth. Samuel, Nolan, Cassell, and Calhoun were playing big minutes that year. No offense to those guys, but the 2015 versions of those players don't see much time on this team. This season, you look at four star prospects like Jackson and Diarra and aren't sure whether they'll crack the rotation, and five star frosh (like Gilbert and Durham) are being eased in, probably off the bench, whereas Hamilton was forced to be a primary option from day one.

The Purvis/Larrier parallel is fair. One thing to mention in Rodney's defense is that he got injured early in the year and took some time to get right.

But there's a gulf between floor and ceiling, no doubt. Optimistically, there are a ton of college basketball teams of this same mold that turn out to be really good - fifth year senior, McDonald's all-American humbled and hardened by the unforgiving nature of D-1 hoops, talented, project big that still has time to put it together, returning five star frosh who came on towards the end of the season, talented transfer who took his medicine in his gap year, super-talent people might be overlooking because of his injuries.

If that sentence was confusing and gave you a headache, sorry. There are a lot of competing variables that hold us captive in anticipation as we wait 21 more days.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Big difference is that '14 lost four of its best five players, '16 is only losing three of its best six (I would argue that the '16 team was at their best with Adams, Purvis, and Brimah all on the floor). Matter of fact, you could probably argue that they were our best players (I think they were top three in +/-). Having another senior rotation guy in Facey helps a lot also.

The guys we lost were good players, but far from transformative (Shabazz obviously qualified as such in '14, and DeAndre played at that level at times).

Another difference is depth. Samuel, Nolan, Cassell, and Calhoun were playing big minutes that year. No offense to those guys, but the 2015 versions of those players don't see much time on this team. This season, you look at four star prospects like Jackson and Diarra and aren't sure whether they'll crack the rotation, and five star frosh (like Gilbert and Durham) are being eased in, probably off the bench, whereas Hamilton was forced to be a primary option from day one.

The Purvis/Larrier parallel is fair. One thing to mention in Rodney's defense is that he got injured early in the year and took some time to get right.

But there's a gulf between floor and ceiling, no doubt. Optimistically, there are a ton of college basketball teams of this same mold that turn out to be really good - fifth year senior, McDonald's all-American humbled and hardened by the unforgiving nature of D-1 hoops, talented, project big that still has time to put it together, returning five star frosh who came on towards the end of the season, talented transfer who took his medicine in his gap year, super-talent people might be overlooking because of his injuries.

If that sentence was confusing and gave you a headache, sorry. There are a lot of competing variables that hold us captive in anticipation as we wait 21 more days.

Good post. So often, the team loses our best overall guy, and people think, because of who's coming back, they'll be better the following year. It almost never happens. See the year after Kemba left for another example. It's amazing to me how often this idea is put forth on this board.

That said, the difference from last year to this year is, as you mentioned, they don't lose a 'transcendent' kind of guy. The guys they are losing were all good, but none were great. They all had flaws to their game. Hamilton's shot selection and percentage, Miller's size and associated weaknesses, Gibbs ability to penetrate/get to the rim, and therefore create.

They are being replaced by guys with a lot of upside, but less experience. It's tough to discern how that combination will shake out. But I feel like guys coming in are a little more well rounded (potentially) than the guys who left. It's really going to be how they the whole looks as a sum of the pieces.

Reaction Score
I'm looking for Purvis to make a big leap forward this season, both as a team leader and in his decision-making on the court. I seriously doubt that his presence will allow this team to settle for the NIT.

Reaction Score
Good post. So often, the team loses our best overall guy, and people think, because of who's coming back, they'll be better the following year. It almost never happens. See the year after Kemba left for another example. It's amazing to me how often this idea is put forth on this board.

That said, the difference from last year to this year is, as you mentioned, they don't lose a 'transcendent' kind of guy. The guys they are losing were all good, but none were great. They all had flaws to their game. Hamilton's shot selection and percentage, Miller's size and associated weaknesses, Gibbs ability to penetrate/get to the rim, and therefore create.

They are being replaced by guys with a lot of upside, but less experience. It's tough to discern how that combination will shake out. But I feel like guys coming in are a little more well rounded (potentially) than the guys who left. It's really going to be how they the whole looks as a sum of the pieces.

Honestly, with all due respect to Hamilton and Gibbs, if I could have one player back from last years team, it would be Miller. He didn't live up to expectations as a defender or rebounder, but his post offense was something to behold for a program that hadn't seen one in so long. Maybe Gavin was the last guy? Feels like we got cheated only getting one year of Miller.

Shooting is the other major question mark, to me. We've got a lot of guys who can win off the bounce. I don't know how many of them can A) finish against the help, and B) find reliable shooters.

Defensively we have the pieces to be even better than we were last year (and we were top 25 last year, IIRC). Hamilton and Gibbs were our weak links on that end and Miller was inconsistent. The length/speed you get with a lineup consisting of some combination of Adams/Gilbert/Purvis/Larrier/Durham/Brimah rivals any in the country.

Edit: I should add, though, that when factoring in rebounding, Hamilton was a huge asset defensively. I don't know how his departure changes things on that front but I would imagine we are more explosive and create more turnovers.

Reaction Score
2015 are you serious
This is the 2014-2015 team
We had a PG that was out of position and Brimah the only returning starters
Rodney's development was hurt by a preseason tourney injury
Ryan was hurt
Against Texas and Yale are backcourt was the two Sams
Hamilton was a Freshman starter who couldn't shoot.
2016-2017
Experienced PG
Experienced. 2
Highly rated Transger at the 3
a 4 year starter at the 5
A 4 that has started and is a senior
The bench is comprised a 5 star PG
and a bunch of other outstanding talented freshman

Reaction Score

we have to bear the inevitable missed layups
More worried about Rodney missing layups.
The new guys rarely make the difference, it will be the returning players and their off season improvement and growth who will make us better. The keys will be Enoch and making up Hamilton's points. We have more pieces and now it is up to KO.

Reaction Score
I mean I compared 2015 UConn to 2011 before the season started so why not compare 2017 to 2011?

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Last year was all about how quickly could a group come together as well as find "the guy." This year, this team also needs to integrate 6 new guys into the lineup, but none are needed right away as key starters. Big difference there. Jalen should be our number one guy with the ball, with Alterique hopefully being a significant contributor from early on. I'm not sure who will be the "go to" scorer as the shot clock runs down, maybe it will be whoever is open when Jalen breaks down the defense. Can Rodney make a big jump in consistency and solid decision-making? I expect that as Jalen goes, so will the team in terms of what ceiling they can reach. So many talented pieces to this puzzle!

Reaction Score
We have 5 new players. We had 3 in 15'. I would compare this year to some other year when we had a bunch of new young players

Rip/kevin/jake/etc
Donyell/donny/kevin/etc
Bazz/lamb/roscoe/etc

The years where those guys joined the team should be the comparison and measuring stick.

Reaction Score
Also, i really dont want a repeat in 15'. Not only did that year stink, the new players didn't exactly etch their names in our record books

-Dham was solid, but left too soon
-Rodney has been above average, but barely
-Rock Lubin realized he wasn't ready for this level

Reaction Score
What fun is it to compare this team to an NIT team? I mean you don't have to be scrappy3.0 but this is just lame.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
There will be a battle of sorts this year, between Jalen and Rodney for the alpha dog position. I really want to see what Rodney can do as the go to and vocal guy on the court, but I suspect that Jalen feels that position is his. As in forcing DHam to take the ball out and taking charge of the last shot against Cinci last year.

If the alpha dog situation works out harmoniously early on, I suspect that this could be round of 8 team. But since we haven't seen half of these guys play in a situation where they weren't the featured guy on the team, we've got to wait and see how the whole chemistry deal works out in the real world.

Reaction Score
There will be a battle of sorts this year, between Jalen and Rodney for the alpha dog position. I really want to see what Rodney can do as the go to and vocal guy on the court, but I suspect that Jalen feels that position is his. As in forcing DHam to take the ball out and taking charge of the last shot against Cinci last year.

If the alpha dog situation works out harmoniously early on, I suspect that this could be round of 8 team. But since we haven't seen half of these guys play in a situation where they weren't the featured guy on the team, we've got to wait and see how the whole chemistry deal works out in the real world.
Everyone always believes we need an alpha dog, kemba/bazz, type guy however I don't see that in Rodney nor Jalen for this year (though would love to be wrong.) I see the way they play together more similar to that of AJ Price and Dyson. I feel that Rodney's game as a quick slashing scorer who can also shoot is similar to Dyson's and he can take over a game at any moment, however never was the "alpha-dog" type that we've seen. I see Price in Jalen, a quick guard who can run the offense, get guys involved yet get his own too. We will be dependent on both, however they will not be shouldering the load the way bazz/kemba did. I guess if I'm going by this comparison we'd want Jalen taking the last shot (cc: gonzaga, love that gus johnson call) because I think Rodney scores better when its within the flow of offense and not forced, he does not thrive in isolation. Idk I'm also hungover as duck* from the disaster that was the civil conFLiCT so this post may have not made any sense.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Everyone always believes we need an alpha dog, kemba/bazz, type guy however I don't see that in Rodney nor Jalen for this year (though would love to be wrong.) I see the way they play together more similar to that of AJ Price and Dyson. I feel that Rodney's game as a quick slashing scorer who can also shoot is similar to Dyson's and he can take over a game at any moment, however never was the "alpha-dog" type that we've seen. I see Price in Jalen, a quick guard who can run the offense, get guys involved yet get his own too. We will be dependent on both, however they will not be shouldering the load the way bazz/kemba did. I guess if I'm going by this comparison we'd want Jalen taking the last shot (cc: gonzaga, love that gus johnson call) because I think Rodney scores better when its within the flow of offense and not forced, he does not thrive in isolation. Idk I'm also hungover as duck* from the disaster that was the civil conFLiCT so this post may have not made any sense.
Jalen has to earn any comparison to AJ, IMHO, as strange as that may sound. AJ came back from some serious and ended up as one of our best. Jalen could well end up there, but as yet he's done nothing of major consequence in the UConn frame of reference. This is his time to shine, but let's see if he is ready yet.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
Probably a worse result than the 2015 team now huh?
It would be like if Hamilton, Purvis and a better version of Lubin all got hurt in the first 2 weeks of that season. This year will be much worse. That team started out 3-0 with a win over a good Dayton team.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23, ‘24
Reaction Score
It would be like if Hamilton, Purvis and a better version of Lubin all got hurt in the first 2 weeks of that season. This year will be much worse. That team started out 3-0 with a win over a good Dayton team.
Except I think Gilbert and Larrier are better than Purvis and Hamilton. Much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom