This season | The Boneyard

This season

Reaction Score
Statistically, we have proven the ability to compete with some of the best in the country. In my opinion, we are dangerously close to being good again.
However, there's no denying our inability to close out games. The numbers speak for themselves on how frustrated we are as a fan base:

Xavier (#18)
  • ESPN Win Probability had UConn at an 81.1% chance to win with a 5-pt lead and 1:35 to play.
    • Eventually lost by 1 in Double OT.
Indiana (Receiving Votes)
  • ESPN Win Probability had UConn at a 59.7% chance to win with a 2-pt lead and 7:20 to play. Game was tied at 4:50 to play.
    • Eventually lost by 3.
Wichita State (#23)
  • ESPN Win Probability had UConn at an 60.5% chance to win with a 1-pt lead and 2:43 to play in OT.
    • Eventually lost by 3 in Double OT.
Villanova (#14)
  • ESPN Win Probability had UConn at an 76.7% chance to win with a 4-pt lead and 4:44 to play.
    • Eventually lost by 6 (or less had we not played the foul game at the end).
Houston (#25)
  • ESPN Win Probability had UConn at an 82.9% chance to win with a 6-pt lead and 4:49 to play.
    • Eventually lost by 4 (or less had we not played the foul game at the end).
That said, I love the fight from our guys, and they have proven to be warriors. The entire narrative for the season is a few mistakes away from being completely different.

Let's not give up on them just yet, it's important that we remain patient. One thing's for sure, opposing teams will not want to face the Hungry Huskies in the AAC tournament.

Oh - and if I were a coach in the Big East next year, I'd be petrified of facing us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I've had the advantage of only watching UConn in spurts this year and I can say I've generally seen a steady improvement and a team that has the ability to compete with some really tough teams. At least in the games I've seen, they really seem on the cusp. I know Hurley will get the team to the next step soon and think they'll be ready to throw down in their first year in the Big East. We'll need you to be so during OOC play, and I have faith it'll happen!

Reaction Score
I don't know about being petrified to face us but otherwise good post. As frustrating as it is, we need to remember just how bleak things were two years ago - 8 20-point losses. That's a bad, bad team. I'm not sure that many of us have ever fully internalized how bad our program was at that point.

We had a long way to go just to get where we are right now. Which is still a frustrating place, since we haven't yet learned to seal the deal. But we're coming off a 3 game stretch against Top 25 teams (2 on the road) where we were right there in all 3 and probably should have gone at least 2-1.

I'm sure there will still be some head-scratching moments to come but I think we are close to turning the corner.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104
Top Bottom