This may be the best season ever to have no seniors. | The Boneyard

This may be the best season ever to have no seniors.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Imagine the recruiting logjam that would occur if Geno had 3 seniors on this team and suppose two of them were hungry enough for a national championship that they decided to stay. There have already been numerous posts on this board and the others I peruse stating there won't be enough minutes for everyone (which is not the case) and other schools are talking about the transfers that are supposedly in UConn's future. Six freshmen (one walkon) this year and four next year, though a necessary replenishment of troops, gives a lopsided recruiting profile. We may be the only top tier team that is not looking to juggle recruiting and lineups next year.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It is becoming more and more apparent that enacting this rule was a good idea. It will create some confusion, uncertainty, and headaches, but it is fair to the players.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Imagine the recruiting logjam that would occur if Geno had 3 seniors on this team and suppose two of them were hungry enough for a national championship that they decided to stay. There have already been numerous posts on this board and the others I peruse stating there won't be enough minutes for everyone (which is not the case) and other schools are talking about the transfers that are supposedly in UConn's future. Six freshmen (one walkon) this year and four next year, though a necessary replenishment of troops, gives a lopsided recruiting profile. We may be the only top tier team that is not looking to juggle recruiting and lineups next year.
Having no seniors doesn't eliminate the potential for a roster logjam; it only delays it by an extra year. This season will not count against anyone's four years of eligibility or "five-year clock."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Some folks criticized Megan for leaving early. I wasn't thrilled about her decision, but I supported it once she made it public.

She played in the W, but was still recovering from Covid and didn't excel. Now she is playing in Hungary. She will earn 2 paychecks, while her former teammates wait around to see if/when they can play. In retrospect, Megan's decision now look brilliant.

Reaction Score
Having no seniors doesn't eliminate the potential for a roster logjam; it only delays it by an extra year. This season will not count against anyone's four years of eligibility or "five-year clock."

Lately the trend at UConn is to leave at 22. At least among WNBA 1st rounders. I think the "logjam" is a calculated move by Geno who has been caught short by players moving on to the pros with eligibility. Tuck, Stevens, Walker.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Lately the trend at UConn is to leave at 22. At least among WNBA 1st rounders. I think the "logjam" is a calculated move by Geno who has been caught short by players moving on to the pros with eligibility. Tuck, Stevens, Walker.

In all fairness, Tuck and Stevens left with a degree. IMO, there is a huge difference in leaving college having only used three years of eligibility but with a degree and leaving college after three years without a degree.

Reaction Score
In all fairness, Tuck and Stevens left with a degree. IMO, there is a huge difference in leaving college having only used three years of eligibility but with a degree and leaving college after three years without a degree.
Napheesa could have gone after 3 years, but stayed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So here are the numbers. If everyone comes back next year, along with 4 incoming freshmen, that’s 15 players, or 14 scholarships unless Geno awards a scholarship to Autumn, which would then put UConn at the NCAA maximum of 15 scholarships.

While unlikely, all 15 players could return for the 2022-23 season. At this point, UConn has only 1 verbal from Ice which could conceivably increase UConn’s roster to 16, while hamstringing additional recruiting efforts.

Teams with “pro caliber” players like UConn will likely lose players like Liv, Evina & Christyn, who project as 1st round picks and will have completed their degrees. But there will be a lot of schools where logjams will result in either major transfers and/or coaches forced to rescind scholarships.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

True about Tuck and Stevens but still they left to go pro. Degree or not, the money will too much to refuse. Degrees can be finished on-line. Look at the UConn male stars who cashed in after 2 or 3 years. All we said was thanks for the memories. It'll be the same with the women. Calhoun had the smarts to tell them when they were ready for the pros. He lost the player but others came there because they trusted Cahoun to teach what they needed to learn and to tell them when. I think it has worked the same for Geno. In his own way Geno attracts talented players with an eye to be pros.

I really enjoy 4 year players. I like to root for the same guys for a while. That's one reason I prefer wb to mb. But that may be changing. One thing COVID is teaching is rolling with things. :)

Reaction Score
Some folks criticized Megan for leaving early. I wasn't thrilled about her decision, but I supported it once she made it public.

She played in the W, but was still recovering from Covid and didn't excel. Now she is playing in Hungary. She will earn 2 paychecks, while her former teammates wait around to see if/when they can play. In retrospect, Megan's decision now look brilliant.
Agree. It was very smart of her to leave. These players will be lucky to play 15 games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom