This isn't hard | The Boneyard

This isn't hard

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
December 3rd, Pete Rossomando.

He's won everywhere. He knows CT. He's cheap and about to be very available.

Reaction Score

Why do you think he will do any better than Randy, PP or Diaco? Isn't he an assistant coach now at Rutgers? Their team is struggling big time, too.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Why do you think he will do any better than Randy, PP or Diaco? Isn't he an assistant coach now at Rutgers? Their team is struggling big time, too.
A lot of people are basing wanting him off his success as head coach at CCSU not as RU’s oline coach.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This guy is definitely on the short list of consideration.... checks a lot of boxes and would very likely take the job.

A lot guys that will be discussed will be guys that wouldn’t take the job- too risky....guys that will wait for the next ship to come in.

Reaction Score
Need the right and the right budget to hire a good staff and have a good recruiting game. Otherwise nothing changes.

Reaction Score

.... and to flip the script w/ an offense minded background (in addition to HC experience @ two levels)
... and he comes from a successful coaching tree (Tony Sparano at UNH) with coaches he can bring in and lean on from the collegiate and pro level.

I think they have to go in a younger HC direction. Someone with a forward thinking vision who's hungry and motivated to rebuild this program. Sadly, IMO, I think RE came back here to save HIS legacy and instead is completely putting the program to pasture. Maybe it's karma....

Reaction Score
Need the right and the right budget to hire a good staff and have a good recruiting game. Otherwise nothing changes.

Success and budget do not always go together. PP and Diaco were paid large sums of money to destroy the program. Start with a smaller budget with the promise of more to come if successful.

Reaction Score
Success and budget do not always go together. PP and Diaco were paid large sums of money to destroy the program. Start with a smaller budget with the promise of more to come if successful.

Have fun attracting nobody.

zls44

Reaction Score

Both of those hires were good process, bad execution.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If your criteria are one successful season at a minor FCS school and would take the job then you need to rethink your assumptions.

For the record, it is hard to have a successful FBS FB program. It's even harder to do it consistently.

You do it by investing in it. That's what we did the first time. Instead of worrying about the driver, figure out how you are going to find the money for a better car.

Reaction Score
The two boxes that need to be checked are:

1) Head coaching experience
2) recent success doing #1

This criteria would have excluded Diaco and PP.
And HCREDreamJob1.0.

Reaction Score

There is a reason for that

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of Rossomando at CCSU. Sure he got us to the NCAA playoffs for the first time ever in year 4 of his tenure, but it was brutal road until that season. We did well on the arm of Jake Dolegala (now in the NFL) and some key skill position players. I found his offense to be stale, predicable, and very unimaginative. We never seemed to be making any progress in those first 3 years.

After upsetting #13 Towson in his first game as head coach, he went 3-17 vs. non-conference opponents. We lost games we just shouldn't have. He was looking to get out of New Britain after 3 bad seasons (was a finalist for the Fordham job) and I think his departure was mutual decision with the new AD. His final season with Jake a Senior QB was a big disappointment, and I think much of that was coaching and play calling.

Going to be a positional coach (not even a coordinator) at Rutgers might have increased his salary, but I have to believe it was a step back professionally from a head coaching position in FCS.

Rossomando at CCSU
(3-9, 1-5 NEC)
2015 (4-7, 3-3 NEC)
2016 (2-9, 1-5 NEC)
2017 (8-4, 6-0 NEC) - NCAA First Round
2018 (6-5, 4-2 NEC)
Total (23-34, 15-15 NEC)

Bottom line, UConn could do better.

Reaction Score

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of Rossomando at CCSU. Sure he got us to the NCAA playoffs for the first time ever in year 4 of his tenure, but it was brutal road until that season. We did well on the arm of Jake Dolegala (now in the NFL) and some key skill position players. I found his offense to be stale, predicable, and very unimaginative. We never seemed to be making any progress in those first 3 years.

After upsetting #13 Towson in his first game as head coach, he went 3-17 vs. non-conference opponents. We lost games we just shouldn't have. He was looking to get out of New Britain after 3 bad seasons (was a finalist for the Fordham job) and I think his departure was mutual decision with the new AD. His final season with Jake a Senior QB was a big disappointment, and I think much of that was coaching and play calling.

Going to be a positional coach (not even a coordinator) at Rutgers might have increased his salary, but I have to believe it was a step back professionally from a head coaching position in FCS.

Rossomando at CCSU
(3-9, 1-5 NEC)
2015 (4-7, 3-3 NEC)
2016 (2-9, 1-5 NEC)
2018 (6-5, 4-2 NEC)
Total (23-34, 15-15 NEC)

Couple of play makers can really change a team’s potential

Reaction Score
Silly

Rossomando hasn’t won and proven himself.

When you can pay $1.2m or more. You can give 5-7 years ... because you’re gonna be back in total rebuild mode with no conference. You get Leipold of Buffalo or Creighton of Eastern Michigan who have proven WIN at lower level and (2) success building at FBS.

Don’t like that ... keep Randy. Rossomando is too risky.

zls44

Reaction Score
Don’t like that ... keep Randy.

There is nothing his unimpressive career can ever do to jade some of you. It's incredible. You complain that UConn doesn't invest in the program but want to stick with the guy who is intentionally and deliberately killing it as an act of retribution.

Reaction Score
Pasqualoni. Diaco. Edsall.

by far ... the best evaluator of talent is RE. By far. Some of you think there’s some SALESMAN that is gonna induce talent to UConn in droves. Ain’t happening. Rutgers - to me - is an instructive case study: lots of talent opportunities. They have a far worse OLine & DLine than us. Indiana stomped them. 1 passing yard.

Leipold - to me - in comparably similar recruiting construct has built OFFENSIVE and DEFENSIVE talent. But Buffalo & UCONN isn’t going to rise to top of any P5/AAC level.

I’m thinking the difference between 2009 & 2019 is substantial. Still Edsall is better at identifying talent. This year points out other deficiencies.

Reaction Score
Actually, it is hard. You need a plan, fund the plan, and execute on the plan. Edsall does have a plan, but it is a slow plan, but I’m not sure we are funding the plan.

The biggest problem UConn has faced has been selecting coaches. In my opinion, PP would have done a decent job if he didn’t hire GDL and kept Joe Moorhead running the offense. And UConn would have been better off if they made Moorhead the head coach instead of PP. Diaco was just a bad fit and was wacky.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score

Rossomando at CCSU
(3-9, 1-5 NEC)
2015 (4-7, 3-3 NEC)
2016 (2-9, 1-5 NEC)
2018 (6-5, 4-2 NEC)
Total (23-34, 15-15 NEC)

I think the point is we probably can't.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Actually, it is hard. You need a plan, fund the plan, and execute on the plan. Edsall does have a plan, but it is a slow plan, but I’m not sure we are funding the plan.

The biggest problem UConn has faced has been selecting coaches. In my opinion, PP would have done a decent job if he didn’t hire GDL and kept Joe Moorhead running the offense. And UConn would have been better off if they made Moorhead the head coach instead of PP. Diaco was just a bad fit and was wacky.

PP was lazy and wasn't hungry enough to sell the program at the end of his career. Diaco was a psychopath who was a proven fraud.

The one thing these two guys (and Randy's return) demonstrate is how unattractive the UConn job actually is.

Lew Perkins sold a younger Randy on building a program in his own image, a statewide financial commitment, and a BCS auto bid to sell.

Dave would be selling a program with no conference exposure, no bowl tie-ins, no schedule, 20 year old facilities, weak financial support, no natural recruiting area, and a tradition that consists of a 6 year period of competence followed by a decade of some real embarrassments.

We are selling the program at a low. Need to fix up the house before trying to flip it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom