OT: This is why most animals should be left in the wild | The Boneyard

OT: This is why most animals should be left in the wild

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/oct/19/ohio-farmer-animals-suicide

301138_2049232197053_1431900004_31674037_1377613805_n.jpg

Reaction Score
Some people with too much money should look into charity work. What a disaster.

Reaction Score
The shooters were probably on a hero-trip. "I shot a tiger! and here's the pix on the mantle to prove it'' Can't you hear it? Could have used the darts in most cases.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
The reasons for shooting rather than tranquilizing seemed valid to me, but I'm no expert. I'd rather not have some tigers and bears who may be more familiar with and less afraid of humans get hit with a tranquilizer before dark, run and sleep it off and maybe kill some kids or something that night or the next morning. I'd rather blame the guy who shouldn't have kept these animals, then let them loose, than the police officers ordered to shoot to kill.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
All of the blame belongs with the idiot owner. He didn't take care of them and probably released the animals as a way of getting revenge on the neighbors who called the police on him a number of times. On the news the police said that if this happened early in the day instead of late afternoon they might not gave had to kill them all. The last thing you want is hungry lions and tigers roaming a residential area at night with kids around or leaving the local vicinity. The animal expert also said that some lions and tigers were charging officers and cars and even attacking other animals. This was a very unfortunate situation. People should not be allowed to own bears and exotic cats. They belong in the wild or at worst in zoos where they can get professional care.

Reaction Score
Terrible. These types of animals should NOT be allowed to be kept as pets by private citizens.

Reaction Score
Reports (CNN) indicate that Ohio has significantly greater exotic animal escape/incidents than other states. Report led one one to conclude legislators and enforcers hve some responsibility here. Not so much in the shoot/don't shoot decision which considering risk and timing seemed prudent but rather prevention. It's obvious idiots like this deserve the brunt of the blame however a record of cruelty to animals and conviction/jail should be a societal red flag. I know hindsight is 20/20 however there must be a reason Ohio gets the dumb ass award here .... heads gotta roll and if necessary laws need to be created and/or changed and enforced. What happened is far beyond sad and stupid.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
such a sad story. shame
-glad on one in the public was hurt or worse, i saw on the news one guy was at a traffic light and saw a lion cross the street in front of him or something? holy poop, imagine that?
-its amazing to me that ppl can have animals like this in such crappy conditions and get away with it
-ohio i guess has some of the most easy laws with wild animals in the country? wish there would be some strong actions taken across the US and places like this would donate animals to zoo's or something...
-i guess the guy had a gun addiction also hugh? sick guy it sounds like, chesus.

every year there is atleast one wild story that hits the news, i remember a gator in a bathtub in nyc years ago or something. its just crazy the stuff that ppl think they can life with. this story by far tho is horrible...

Reaction Score
At least he killed himself. Sorry but I wish more crazy people would pop a cap in their dome sometimes- I just wish he kept the animals contained before he did so they could have found a home. Very sad.

Reaction Score
Terrible tragedy. Fortunately no loss of human life. This guy just got out of jail. And he was called out, previously, on more than one occassion, for mistreating these animals.
Hopefully, legislation is passed so this never happens again. BTW, scheduled for release at Christmas, is a movie starring Matt Damon, where he unsuspectingly purchases a farm for his family. That farm has tigers, lions, bears etc. I'm sure this will end much happier than what happened in Zanesville yesterday.

Reaction Score
im not a fan of killing the animals but the police really dont have a choice here, in fact its the only choice because of this moron. The guy should have have had his license taken away from him when the camel was on the freeway. This is what happens when you keep wild animals as pets, there is a reason they are called "wild" animals. How about that Travis the Chimp story in CT. I dont know if I would laugh or think im on shrooms if I saw a lion at a stop light.

Reaction Score
I can't say I'm against having exotic animals, as I own a Burmese python.. however, I would never just set her free in the wild under any circumstances. Lions, tigers, and bears? Oh my!

Reaction Score
I can't say I'm against having exotic animals, as I own a Burmese python.. however, I would never just set her free in the wild under any circumstances. Lions, tigers, and bears? Oh my!
I applaud you being responsible however I'm sure you are aware that many many people are not responsible nor are they very bright.

Florida has a serious problem with non indigenous reptiles (mostly snakes), abandoned by their owners after the novelty wore off, not just surviving, but thriving and breeding thereby over running much of the state's indigenous wildlife and drastically changing their ecosystem. Just another massive duck up caused by humans with catostrophic implications. I would guess Florida is not alone.

Aaaah the senseless stupidity of it all.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
We keep a Siamese fighting fish named Chester in our house, but we take great pains to keep him from escaping. There are a lot of children in our neighborhood, so we keep Chester under a tight wrap.

Should he ever escape, in order to prevent a rampage, I would understand if the local authorities had to shoot him. Or step on him or put him in a cup of water, whatever it takes to secure the public safety.

Reaction Score
We keep a Siamese fighting fish named Chester in our house, but we take great pains to keep him from escaping. There are a lot of children in our neighborhood, so we keep Chester under a tight wrap.

Should he ever escape, in order to prevent a rampage, I would understand if the local authorities had to shoot him. Or step on him or put him in a cup of water, whatever it takes to secure the public safety.
Who do they fight with? other fish? Your pinky? Young children? Jim Burr or Tim Higgins?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know. And I am very afraid to find out.

He just sits around all day looking seriously pissed off. And staring at the hole in the top of the tank for the magic hand that sprinkles food on his world twice a day.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score

bowlfish.gif

DOES LOOK KINDA MEAN !

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
The shooters were probably on a hero-trip. "I shot a tiger! and here's the pix on the mantle to prove it'' Can't you hear it? Could have used the darts in most cases.
Nonsense ... imputing such motives is nonsense. They had a difficult decision, and limited time. Police make such decisions every
day ... sometimes with human animals.

Reaction Score
OH- the owner is alive? They might want to think about shooting him then- my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom