This is what rock bottom looks like | The Boneyard

This is what rock bottom looks like

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
UConn football is there. This is as bad as it can get for a program.

To wit:

1) The team has looked terrible. Most likely UConn is one of the 5-10 worst FBS programs this year. The team held on to beat a bad FCS school, and got destroyed the week before against a borderline Top25 team. We are not competitive, and there is no near term fix on the horizon. Uconn could lose the rest of its games, and there may not be a game the rest of the year where UConn will be favored. SMU and Army are the leading candidates.

2) This is not a young team that could rapidly improve. The cupboard is not well stocked, and without the conference affiliation, Diaco has resorted to a lot of under-the-radar recruiting.

3) Diaco has looked lost the first two games and in the press conferences. We knew there would be some bumps with a first time HC, but i did not expect this. The team is playing significantly worse than it was playing under Weist. Wins over Temple, Rutgers and Memphis look pretty good now.

4) Cochran was a devastating loss for the program. I know that his own health is the priority, but this was a huge loss for the program at absolutely the worst time. A healthy Cochran could have chucked enough to Davis to keep us in and probably win a few against the bottom tier AAC teams. Whitmer has gotten worse since arriving at UConn, and Boyle is not ready. I am underwhelmed by the OC, and do not expect much improvement at the QB position this year. UConn is not a competitive program without Cochran.

5) The conference situation is horrendous. The AAC has ONE victory over a D1 opponent this year. This conference is really bad.

This program is in really serious trouble at the absolutely worst time for this to be happening. I expect Diaco to get better, but the rest of the problems are going to take years to sort out. UConn is a long way from the team that could easily beat South Carolina in a bowl game. I don't think there is much we can do other than take the lumps and hope Diaco can turn it around. If he can not, the rest of the problems may become permanent.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
There's nothing really more you can say. Since the Fiesta bowl loss, the program has been an absolute tailspin.

Since that game: we lost Edsall, got P/GDL, had our conferences raided, had members of our new league back out, lose the BCS auto bid, went from 5 to 5 to 3 wins and barely beating FCS teams at home, and now one of our only real potential bright spot has to step away from the game.

I mean, just wow.

And yet we the season ticket holders, who have stayed with the program since day 1, still get the pleasure of being harassed by nim wits on power trips 30 mins before kick off in the freaking parking lot. Unbelievable.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
1. Sure, we've looked bad. There's some pretty bad teams on our schedule though. I'm not writing down 1-11 until it happens.
2. I think we've got an incredibly young team. May not mean much for week to week improvement but they should get better year to year. Obviously bare at one key position though.
3. Apparently he mishandled the SB post-game, although I didn't hear the radio show. Overall though, he's had to dance a tightrope of managing expectations for the **show he inherited and instilling positivity in the players.
4. Loss of CC is indeed devastating - mostly because it exposes a total lack of depth at a critical position; transfers obviously factor and those may be attributable to the coaching change but it's totally unrealistic to think you can get through a season with 2 qbs, especially when one has a history of concussions. -- As for, "Boyle is not ready", I guess we'll see. If he's #2 (as I expect) for Boise, HBCD should be looking for any chance to get him game reps. He could play his way into the job if we keep seeing what we've seen from CW. Many a qb success story starts with a guy being forced to play prematurely.
5. Yes, conference looks bad. Would've helped for UCF to beat Penn St., but they look competitive, -- Cincy hasn't played yet; USF looks better; and Navy looks good (coming in next year). Biggest problem the AAC is going to have going forward is getting locked out of P5 schedules. Early indications are that this current staff can recruit despite all this. Of course we don't know until they play but in both early numbers and average size, it's encouraging.

Bottom line I guess is that we should all be prepared for a 2/3-year rebuild; ok to hope for surprising success in the short term but not to be disappointed by the lack of it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rock bottom was 41-12 against Buffalo last season.

If that wasn't rock bottom, you're all welcome to come to my house for the funeral.

We can drink bourbon and watch my apple trees die of blight or whatever the hell is killing them.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score

If that wasn't rock bottom, you're all welcome to come to my house for the funeral.

We can drink bourbon and watch my apple trees die of blight or whatever the hell is killing them.

that was the bottom of rock bottom; towson was the top... sorry 'bout your apple trees.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You really could say that the top of the bottom was P's introductory press conference, but Towson was definitely a branch we hit on our plummet down to the bottom of the canyon.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
You really could say that the top of the bottom was P's introductory press conference, but Towson was definitely a branch we hit on our plummet down to the bottom of the canyon.

yeah.. that guy Dante may have been on to something -- we've got four or five levels to go?

Reaction Score

So if I agree with you I don't get to drink your bourbon? WTF??

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
We're on the the highway driving through hell

Reaction Score
We are not competitive and there is no near term fix on the horizon. Diaco has looked lost the first two games and in the press conferences. Whitmer has gotten worse since arriving at UConn. I am underwhelmed by the OC. UConn is not a competitive program without Cochran.

So I guess beating Boise is out of the question?

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score

To wit:

1) The team has looked terrible. Most likely UConn is one of the 5-10 worst FBS programs this year. The team held on to beat a bad FCS school, and got destroyed the week before against a borderline Top25 team. We are not competitive, and there is no near term fix on the horizon. Uconn could lose the rest of its games, and there may not be a game the rest of the year where UConn will be favored. SMU and Army are the leading candidates.

2) This is not a young team that could rapidly improve. The cupboard is not well stocked, and without the conference affiliation, Diaco has resorted to a lot of under-the-radar recruiting.

3) Diaco has looked lost the first two games and in the press conferences. We knew there would be some bumps with a first time HC, but i did not expect this. The team is playing significantly worse than it was playing under Weist. Wins over Temple, Rutgers and Memphis look pretty good now.

4) Cochran was a devastating loss for the program. I know that his own health is the priority, but this was a huge loss for the program at absolutely the worst time. A healthy Cochran could have chucked enough to Davis to keep us in and probably win a few against the bottom tier AAC teams. Whitmer has gotten worse since arriving at UConn, and Boyle is not ready. I am underwhelmed by the OC, and do not expect much improvement at the QB position this year. UConn is not a competitive program without Cochran.

5) The conference situation is horrendous. The AAC has ONE victory over a D1 opponent this year. This conference is really bad.

This program is in really serious trouble at the absolutely worst time for this to be happening. I expect Diaco to get better, but the rest of the problems are going to take years to sort out. UConn is a long way from the team that could easily beat South Carolina in a bowl game. I don't think there is much we can do other than take the lumps and hope Diaco can turn it around. If he can not, the rest of the problems may become permanent.
Doomed

I 'm not going to look at the events you enumerated so clearly and succinctly though rose colored glasses. I am going to choose to MANAGE MY EXPECTATIONS and take solace in the fact that we hit bottom awhile back as some chose to ignore it. A young bright light, a guiding star, Casey, was snuffed out and the hope of a bowl type 6 win season and achievement was significantly reduced.

I won't measure this season in win / loss record. This old Husky is going down a different path. I will enjoy the season in improvement, watch a new coaching staff rebuild a program. I will enjoy my tailgating fellow Huskies and not miss a game. I will enjoy a process of watching a group of young pups get better with age and experience. I will enjoy an offensive coordinator learn to fit and modify a game plan to players strengths rather than fitting a player into a desired system incapable of achieving any merit of success. I will watch a young head coach deal with adversity and become better for it giving us a foundation for years to come. Sit back, if you have any degree of strength in your own character and enjoy what we do have and the process of achievement in the next 24 months.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I 'm not going to look at the events you enumerated so clearly and succinctly though rose colored glasses. I am going to choose to MANAGE MY EXPECTATIONS and take solace in the fact that we hit bottom awhile back as some chose to ignore it. A young bright light, a guiding star, Casey, was snuffed out and the hope of a bowl type 6 win season and achievement was significantly reduced.

I won't measure this season in win / loss record. This old Husky is going down a different path. I will enjoy the season in improvement, watch a new coaching staff rebuild a program. I will enjoy my tailgating fellow Huskies and not miss a game. I will enjoy a process of watching a group of young pups get better with age and experience. I will enjoy an offensive coordinator learn to fit and modify a game plan to players strengths rather than fitting a player into a desired system incapable of achieving any merit of success. I will watch a young head coach deal with adversity and become better for it giving us a foundation for years to come. Sit back, if you have any degree of strength in your own character and enjoy what we do have and the process of achievement in the next 24 months.

Not that I'm not going to watch but being a fan of a team isn't supposed to be a character test it's supposed to be fun.

I understand the reasons it may still get worse before it gets better... but pointing out doesn't mean Nelson lacks character.

Reaction Score

To wit:

You just love hanging your misery on this board. Everyone should know that this ass clown was predicting the demise of our
basketball program after the losses to Houston and SMU (We had to get back to the Big East or else, football be damned).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You just love hanging your misery on this board. Everyone should know that this ass clown was predicting the demise of our
basketball program after the losses to Houston and SMU (We had to get back to the Big East or else).

That is not true, you made that up.

I see that you think we are winning a national championship this year though.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Losing 41-12 was a cause for celebration, because we knew that there was no way Pasqualoni would survive the season. The team came back and played well the last four games, winning 3 over teams that have turned out to not be that bad. There was cause for optimism heading into this year, and in August I couldn't figure out how this team would win less than 5 games. Now I know.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
thing about rock bottom, in almost any context, is you can't see it 'til you've climbed out.

Reaction Score
Although with a couple of extra doses of care and sticktuitiveness we should be ok.

Reaction Score
While your points are correct. Rock bottom is still in the future.

A blimp could crash into the stadium, the growling dog on 3rd down gets cranked up to 11, they raise the cost of water another $1, more birds poop on the bleachers without a pressure wash, it rains every home game the rest of the way, we lose out, punters foot comes flying off after his 18th punt in a single game, UCF Cincy Houston SMU and East Carolina get invited to a P5 Conference, MAC and CUSA refuse to invite the rest of the AAC.......there is still plenty of "bottom" to be found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom