This is LOI week...correct? | The Boneyard

This is LOI week...correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
As of now we have 9 on next year's roster.....and those 9 will get us a preseason #1 ranking imo.

What is the probability of Geno getting a spring signing in 2013? Either a regular high school senior yet unsigned...or a JC kid? I guess the chances are about 1/3...with the high school senior being the better bet. Add a walk-on or two over the summer.

BTW: USAToday has its 10 preseason AA picks for this year....2 juniors among them.
Brianna Turner we know about...a UConn target and a former teammate of Moriah on an AAU team.

Interesting other junior: Kelsey Mitchell....guard from Cincy Princeton....sounds very elite. I bet that Mel Thomas knows of her....wonder if Geno has interest?

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm hoping that Pope will be better for next year, plus a JUCO, although no one in mind.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
BTW: in our first Ring Year [1994-1995] we had a regular rotation of only 7....and that is including Pam Webber who didn't play mucho minutes
in highly competitive games.

Lobo, Wolters, Rizzotti, Elliot and Pam started: Carla Berube and Nykesha off the bench. We had some good fortune
with injuries and foul trouble. 9 is plenty with similar good luck.

Reaction Score
9 is plenty with similar good luck.

"With similar good luck"--exactly. How many times have we fallen short and had injuries? Mel and Kalana in one year, Caroline in another, probably others that I can't think of.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt a JUCO.
I'm thinking more of a Fernandes-type kid.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
"With similar good luck"--exactly. How many times have we fallen short and had injuries? Mel and Kalana in one year, Caroline in another, probably others that I can't think of.
If you lose a player of the quality of Mel, Kalana, Svet, Shea, etc. your team will be diminished no matter how many players are on the roster. How many quality players will sit on the bench, waiting for an injury? We have seen a few transfers out of UConn because players wanted to play.

But, the point to consider, is that some players may get worn down by playing more minutes than they would with a longer bench. There is no way to measure this.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Nine is plenty when all nine can contribute. A late-season injury could be bad. It's probably the only thing that would derail the 2013-14 team. Otherwise, there's potential for it to be one of Geno's best teams ever. That team of nine is also much deeper and talented on paper than 1997, 1998, 2008, or 2011, IMO.

Reaction Score
How about a late-blooming high school senior? I'd like Geno to pick up a role-player with all-around skills, maybe a coach's daughter on a team that has played in good competition. She's been in the shadow of some higher profile players until growing 2" over the summer, finds a deadly shooting touch from 3-point land and loves to defend like Kelly Faris. Too much to ask?

Reaction Score
Nine is plenty when all nine can contribute. A late-season injury could be bad. It's probably the only thing that would derail the 2013-14 team. Otherwise, there's potential for it to be one of Geno's best teams ever. That team of nine is also much deeper and talented on paper than 1997, 1998, 2008, or 2011, IMO.

Wish I had your confidence, Alex. Murphy's Law says something, anything, will go wrong. Injuries would be the first thing that come to mind. Even granted that UConn has had its share, it is unlikely that the team will go this year and next without something significant happening. I wouldn't wish that on anyone, even TN, but if the wrong person gets injured (not that with 9 players there is a right person) you have all sorts of positional issues that you would not otherwise have.

Reaction Score
Shea Ralph 1997. Shea's mother believes UConn would have won the second title had Shea not injured.

Also Nykesha Sale, 1998.
I agree with Shea's mother. And how could I forget Nykesha?

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who remembers Sue Bird tearing her ACL her freshmen year after sixteen games. That team had a chance, but once you lose your point guard, everything becomes much more difficult.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who remembers Sue Bird tearing her ACL her freshmen year after sixteen games. That team had a chance, but once you lose your point guard, everything becomes much more difficult.
It was 8 games. Many of us think that injuries cost us up to about 5 championships. Lack of depth cost is in at least Maya's first and last years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom