This is how Diaco should talk after a loss. It's our hcokey coach. | The Boneyard

This is how Diaco should talk after a loss. It's our hcokey coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
"You can sleep at night and live with yourself if you put in a great effort and you compete hard," coach Mike Cavanaugh said. "A lot of our games, we haven't been successful — we haven't won them, and it's disappointing when you don't win — but you can sleep at night saying we worked, we competed. ... Tonight is a tough night to get some sleep. I don't feel I prepared them well enough. Obviously, I didn't. You've seen our team play and that's not indicative of how we've played this season."

Straight talk. Taking responsibility. Is there any question this guy is on his way to building a champion. Edsall could also learn from Coach Cavanaugh.

Reaction Score
I've never fully understood that how a coach talks about wins/losses has such an effect. So he admits that he didn't do his job, so that makes me feel better?

How many times can he say that before people call for his head.

It's about wins and losses. Not how you talk about them.

Reaction Score
I've never fully understood that how a coach talks about wins/losses has such an effect. So he admits that he didn't do his job, so that makes me feel better?

I don't know for sure if they, but at the end of the year, it sure looked like the team quit on the coach.

Reaction Score

It's about taking responsibility. That's how a coach inspires his team to take responsibility. He is modeling behavior. Words matter, great coaches know that and how to use them.

Are you saying a coaches words have no effect or meaning?

Reaction Score
It's about taking responsibility. That's how a coach inspires his team to take responsibility. He is modeling behavior. Words matter, great coaches know that and how to use them.

Are you saying a coaches words have no effect or meaning?

They have a lot of meaning. I'm very interested in what he says to the team. What he says to the media is irrelevant IMHO, but if it makes you feel better, great.

If he comes out after every loss and blames it on himself, how is that better?

There are losses that come from poor game planning. There are losses that come from bad in-game coaching and decision making. There are losses that come from poor execution and mistakes from the players. There are losses that come from lack of talent compared to the opponent. But most losses come as a mix of all of the above.

Blaming yourself for not having the team prepared is great, if it is true. But there are times when the players didn't hold up their end of the bargain and it should be said. To me that is just a bunch of spin. Nice that you happen to agree with it, but it is still spin, and probably not his real opinion.

Reaction Score
If you can admit that if a coach were to fall on a sword after every loss and say, it's all on me - that you'd honestly feel better, then I'll pay attention to these strings. Utter nonsense to dictate what a coach should say before, during or after a game. If he says too much, he is crucified; too little, much the same. The simple fact is that no one here has much to say about quotes after a win, but plenty to say about them after a loss. Me thinks the difference has less to do w/the quotes, and more to do with the result.

But thanks for letting us all know you've carried your bitterness in to 2015.

Reaction Score

Not in his first year it isn't - not even in professional sports is this the case for the first year or two.

It is his first year. So the coach admits he lost one. But if you listen what does he really say. I don't feel I prepared them well enough. Obviously, I didn't. You've seen our team play and that's not indicative of how we've played this season." So, he didn't prepare them well enough. When I played sports the worst practice came after my coach didn't blame any of his players or their lack of execution. It came when the caoch admitted that he didn't prepare us well enough. That meant, he had a LOT to figure out. It meant, he thought we were further along in our development then we were. It meant, that as a team we collectively failed every aspect of our individual positions and assignments. It meant we as a team sucked! When a coach speaks understand that he doesn't want to put the team under the bus in a public light. No, but in that locker room. He is looking for his team to give him respect. TO honor their position on that team. SO I have no problem with the coach taking this upon himself. The question is, how will the team respond? If they know they didn't play their best and they let themselves, their school, and their coach down, then they need to change that. They need to want to play for themselves and to respect their coach. Great coaches attract talent because they know how to address the talent that is required to win!

Reaction Score
Any words talked about in the public nowadays are a bunch of political bull Sugar Honey Iced Tea... unless you're Bill Parcells...... or more recent, guys like Mike Tomlin, Rex Ryan, Tom Coughlin to an extent... Most coaches pull that double talk BS...
I prefer being frank and blunt... be that alpha male as a head coach. Ya are what ya are.. don't sugarcoat it...

Reaction Score
They have a lot of meaning. I'm very interested in what he says to the team. What he says to the media is irrelevant IMHO, but if it makes you feel better, great.

If he comes out after every loss and blames it on himself, how is that better?

There are losses that come from poor game planning. There are losses that come from bad in-game coaching and decision making. There are losses that come from poor execution and mistakes from the players. There are losses that come from lack of talent compared to the opponent. But most losses come as a mix of all of the above.

Blaming yourself for not having the team prepared is great, if it is true. But there are times when the players didn't hold up their end of the bargain and it should be said. To me that is just a bunch of spin. Nice that you happen to agree with it, but it is still spin, and probably not his real opinion.
No doubt some of our coaches agree with you and have treated the media as irrelevant. It's not. It help shapes opinion and attitudes. I'm surprised how many folks on these board think PR and media are "irrelevant."

This is not about blaming. Cavanaugh didn't blame anyone. He took personal responsibility. That is a huge difference. It's a large part of a coaches job to turn young men into great people. By taking responsibility and NOT BLAMING the players he took the loss as an opportunity to act like a role model. He talked about effort and giving your best. Knowing if they did their best they could sleep with clear conscience. He held himself to the same standard.

This has nothing to do with falling on swords or blaming after losses or any of the other of the weird ideas that some of you throw out there.

This is how you build character. This is how you stand up. And it how you build great young men and a great team.

And yes, Diaco should take notice.

Reaction Score
"You can sleep at night and live with yourself if you put in a great effort and you compete hard," coach Mike Cavanaugh said. "A lot of our games, we haven't been successful — we haven't won them, and it's disappointing when you don't win — but you can sleep at night saying we worked, we competed. ... Tonight is a tough night to get some sleep. I don't feel I prepared them well enough. Obviously, I didn't. You've seen our team play and that's not indicative of how we've played this season."

Straight talk. Taking responsibility. Is there any question this guy is on his way to building a champion. Edsall could also learn from Coach Cavanaugh.

I'm still a fan of BD, but I have to agree with you on this. He needs to take responsibility and do it publicly. I don't think he needs to do it after every loss, but owning up to it, at least to me, shows that he his a darn about the program.

Reaction Score

In high profile athletics, part of the job requirement is media relations. It's a public speaking skill that needs to be there. It has an effect on fans and media following the respective sport and team, regardless of the size and extent of media exposure and size and extent of fanbase. How you talk about the wins and losses is important, I disagree there, but I agree, how you talk about them, is not nearly important as the wins and losses themselves. What's fact is that there is always a lot more explaining to do after losing, and scrutiny of the explanations after losing.

He admitted he didn't do his job well. Did it make you feel better?

(probably not, because you've been following UCONN football for the last 4 years)

I would think most people that have followed UCONN hockey would feel better, and more importantly, expect a better performance in the next game because of it. I know I do, because I watched this team beat the defending national champions 2 weeks ago, and skate well with the #7 team in the country at the time on back to back days. I also know that we're competing now for the first season in what is recognized as a premier hockey conference in the country and have already notched wins against top 10 nationally ranked opponents. So, if coach says we weren't prepared, I'm ok with it, and more importantly - it has generated an expectation from me - based on past results, that we will be much better prepared against the next opponent. It's not unique to any sport, in dealing with a loss this way, and it's often true - let downs mentally and emotionally and physically in team sport competition happen all the time, it's the biggest problem you face in a long sports season, is not having something like that happen.

How many times can he "Cavanaugh" say the same thing before people start calling for his head?

That will clearly depend on how many losses he accumulates as opposed to wins, regardless and independent of the explanations given for those losses.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He admitted he didn't do his job well. Did it make you feel better?
Yes, yes it did actually.

The media is just another venue for communicating with the team. The message Cavanaugh sent was an example of how to take responsibility but it also was a message to the team that he has their back. Contrast to Bobby D.'s we suck, but we're better than we were when I got here; we have no talent, but we're working every day to suck less speech. One comes off like a guy who is taking responsibility and one comes off like a guy making excuses.

Yeah, it's about wins and losses but if you chalking up a lot of losses how you respond to them absolutely makes a difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

BINGO

This is all ... ALL ... about Palatine. And a handful of others; though, I have noticed Parents pay huge attention to these words after games. I don't think the Team gets the same message. What is important for MY COACH - primarily - is the development of those kids into better football players and better people. YES, part of his job is to build a Fan base; because, we are UConn & we haven't done this that long. But to parse the Press Conference week after week? Diaco gets a D for what was expressed. But, I want to see Team Development and I am not going to give a Hoot if Randy Edsall or Bob Diaco said what makes Palatine happy. Building a Fan Base? Warde Manuel and Bob Diaco has a steep challenge after the last 4. They have to put a good bit of effort into that.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I don't know for sure if they, but at the end of the year, it sure looked like the team quit on the coach.

Last year, I thought the Memphis quit on their coach when they came to the Rent - guess not.

I think we were run down, beat down by the end of the season. They didn't quit but they weren't able to play at their best. Very young team on the field.

Reaction Score
BINGO

This is all ... ALL ... about Palatine. And a handful of others; though, I have noticed Parents pay huge attention to these words after games. I don't think the Team gets the same message. What is important for MY COACH - primarily - is the development of those kids into better football players and better people. YES, part of his job is to build a Fan base; because, we are UConn & we haven't done this that long. But to parse the Press Conference week after week? Diaco gets a D for what was expressed. But, I want to see Team Development and I am not going to give a Hoot if Randy Edsall or Bob Diaco said what makes Palatine happy. Building a Fan Base? Warde Manuel and Bob Diaco has a steep challenge after the last 4. They have to put a good bit of effort into that.

I agree with all of this.

I tried like hell in the post not to get all lengthy with Bob Diaco bridges and tunnels and analogies to what Cavanaugh is saying (and more importantly DOING) with the hockey program, but it's obviously the point of discussion here.

The problem that exists for UCONN football is that by every visual and objective measure you can grasp on to as a fan watching, the program did not improve in 2014, it regressed. 2014, is the only season, and this includes all 2 1/4 seasons of the Pasqualoni and Deleone show, where progress from start to finish in a season was not present. We played against SMU in December, with no greater success in any measurable way, than we did in August against BYU.

Until that trend improves, and we start putting a team on the field that can compete with our opposition on the schedule, and show demonstrable progress - Diaco can say anything, and it will taken negatively.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Last year, I thought the Memphis quit on their coach when they came to the Rent - guess not.

I think we were run down, beat down by the end of the season. They didn't quit but they weren't able to play at their best. Very young team on the field.

I don't think they quit either. I do think they were depleted and worn out. I think the thin roster caught up with them and they were finishing out the season with either hurt or un-tested players.

Reaction Score
BINGO

WTF, You should have Lucy as your icon instead of Charlie Brown if you want to play junior psychiatrist.

Cavanaugh's post game comments struck me. I thought he did a great job and I wish Edsall (then) and BD (now) would exhibit some of the same characteristics. It's not about making me happy. I'm just noting that here's a guy that GETS IT.

Reaction Score
wait he didn't thank the other team for being our partner in a valuable learning experience?

well that's rude.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I have no way of proving this, but I've always thought that coaches' words to the media affected fans on message boards far more than the actual team itself.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Yes, yes it did actually.

The media is just another venue for communicating with the team. The message Cavanaugh sent was an example of how to take responsibility but it also was a message to the team that he has their back. Contrast to Bobby D.'s we suck, but we're better than we were when I got here; we have no talent, but we're working every day to suck less speech. One comes off like a guy who is taking responsibility and one comes off like a guy making excuses.

Yeah, it's about wins and losses but if you chalking up a lot of losses how you respond to them absolutely makes a difference.

YES. Precisely this. This is fundamental best practice for anyone in an educational role (as all college coaches are) who has a clue. The outlet for the statement is irrelevant. Your students/players will here you and process the message. The message may be couched differently in the locker room as compared to a press briefing but the message is the same.

Reaction Score
WTF, You should have Lucy as your icon instead of Charlie Brown if you want to play junior psychiatrist.

Cavanaugh's post game comments struck me. I thought he did a great job and I wish Edsall (then) and BD (now) would exhibit some of the same characteristics. It's not about making me happy. I'm just noting that here's a guy that GETS IT.

No, it's 100% entirely about making you happy.

From what you've written, you have conveyed the message that what you wish Edsall (then) and BD (now) would exhibit the same characteristics as Cavanaugh, in doing a great job at something. And that something is the post game interview.

It certainly seems you are more interested in the performance at the post game interview, rather than on the sidelines during the game.

Reaction Score
No, it's 100% entirely about making you happy.

From what you've written, you have conveyed the message that what you wish Edsall (then) and BD (now) would exhibit the same characteristics as Cavanaugh, in doing a great job at something. And that something is the post game interview.

It certainly seems you are more interested in the performance at the post game interview, rather than on the sidelines during the game.

While I certainly think that Palatine's posts are all about Palatine, I do think that Diaco's comments about the players as the year went on had an impact. Nobody could prove it either way, but it's human nature. I sat behind the bench for SMU and watched Cochran try to challenge guys' heart after we lost the lead. Nobody responded. Heads down, shoulders shrugged, looked like a group that just wanted it to end. No response at all. Is that a direct result of Diaco tearing the team down publicly as the losses piled up? I don't know, but it's possible.

Reaction Score
While I certainly think that Palatine's posts are all about Palatine, I do think that Diaco's comments about the players as the year went on had an impact. Nobody could prove it either way, but it's human nature. I sat behind the bench for SMU and watched Cochran try to challenge guys' heart after we lost the lead. Nobody responded. Heads down, shoulders shrugged, looked like a group that just wanted it to end. No response at all. Is that a direct result of Diaco tearing the team down publicly as the losses piled up? I don't know, but it's possible.

That's a big jump to make. The flipside, to your noted observation is that they just wanted it to end because they knew that the entire season was treated as a long scrimmage, and that the results of the games did not matter, and therefore they finally had enough of trying for this season. It's human nature to do that, to give the appearance of giving up, when you know that something planned ahead that you intend to be part of, is of much greater importance than what's happening now.....as much as it is human nature to give the appearance of giving up, because you've been emotionally and mentally broken down to give up.

I'm probably just making sh(t up now, and you're probably right, but it is a positive spin on your observation at the game. I didn't go. I was at the 41-0 destruction at the hands of Cincy, and I saw the same thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom